*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

I've said to myself I don't need one of these, but after reading the last few pages of this thread I caved in and got the 512gb version :D Looking forward to playing some Snowrunner and PGA Tour Golf.

I do not need one of these! i do not need one of these! I do not need one of these!

*Opens up steam and looks at the steam deck page yet again

I do not need one of these! i do not need one of these! I do not need one of these!

*Opens up steam and looks at the steam deck page yet again

I keep doing exactly the same, and then looking at eBay to see how cheap they are second hand. I'm sure I will get one just need to decide between the different sizes, especially if the SD cards are fast enough to run games off with no real impact.

Been playing a lot of Pilotwings on the N64 emulator. The cartridge has been sat in my office for many years, don't have any way to play my N64 now, well until now. The new tvs are no good, or weren't when I tried.

I have read recently of people having issues with shader chache filling up the 64GB SSD model. Some stated they simply moved the Steam shader chache to the SD card, but that means you then need to have the SD in even to play locally installed games.

I don't think this would be an issue unless you had a lot of AAA games installed. Or if it causes stutter with the cache being on a slower drive.

Where I feel the 64GB can be a false economy is if you can live with a 256GB model for the extra £110 and you have no pans to add an SD. With the 64GB an SD card would be a must and will add an additional ~£30 - £50 to your cost. I get it that even accounting for the price of an SD, the 256GB is still ~£60 - £80 more expensive.

It should also be noted that an SD is more prone to failure than a built in SSD.

Having said that I still think the 64GB and a 256GB SD card is the best VFM.

I can't decide if it's worth the 512gb version so there is no messing about, or just buy the 64gb one and wait for the prices to drop on the nvme's. They seem silly money at the moment. £180 for a 1TB? No thanks!

I've ordered and cancelled this 5 times... talk me into it guys.
What games do you play? In fact it does not matter, it's a bit of hardware a gamer needs to satisfy gaming, tinkering, accessories and the fact you can lay in bed and game when sloth mode is at full slothiness.
Plus it's amazing just how good the ergonomics are with the variety of controls.

I can't decide if it's worth the 512gb version so there is no messing about, or just buy the 64gb one and wait for the prices to drop on the nvme's. They seem silly money at the moment. £180 for a 1TB? No thanks!
There is barely any speed difference to what I've seen on YouTube so 64gb and SD card is the best value. Can always upgrade later by adding nvme if needed so it's not like it's an impossible option.
Picking up a 64gb one tomorrow from FB market place local to me for £300 brand new.

Last edited:
There is barely any speed difference to what I've seen on YouTube so 64gb and SD card is the best value. Can always upgrade later by adding nvme if needed so it's not like it's an impossible option.
Picking up a 64gb one tomorrow from FB market place local to me for £300 brand new.

Oh bloody hell, order myself one now! What have I done? :D Question now is do I need a dock? Have found an unused 128gb sd card to tide me over.

Back
Top Bottom