*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

My deck went in for an RMA and I've just been sent a brand new sealed one as a replacement so I now have a spare charger, woo!

17/10 - Contacted support
18/10 - auto response
19/10 - Return label received & booked in
20/10 - Posted back
01/11 - Message saying "We're not able to complete your repair due to delays or other factors"
03/11 - Received the new unit

I did lose a screen protector though, I think it's a fair swap...
What was your reason for RMA?

BTW the grindy left stick issue I was having on my deck has now completely resolved. I presume it's now worn the socket smooth through use. A tiny bit of silicone grease on the stick stem really helped make it feel smoother while it was wearing in though.

The SSD? I think there were worries but I've not seen anything concrete about it reducing battery life or any other negative outcome. I've got a PM991 which is 3.3V @ 1.6A which I think is a bit higher than the stock drives
(3.3V @ 1A?) and it seems totally fine.

Seems like a decent compromise, very close to original values. Will have a look, cheers.

Anyone running Sackboy on the Deck under SteamOS? If so, can you let me know how it runs and whether you're getting any stuttering please?

I haven't tried it, but given it seems to have the dreaded #stutterstruggle on even a monster PC according to Alex at DF, it's not looking good....

I haven't tried it, but given it seems to have the dreaded #stutterstruggle on even a monster PC according to Alex at DF, it's not looking good....

I've wiped my Deck and reinstalling SteamOS currently so I'll try it in a bit. I found Windows 11 on it decent but I just prefer the 'console' feel of SteamOS, plus native rumble support which I couldn't emulate anywhere near as well in Windows.

Last edited:
Been trying Control on the deck this eve.

Runs smooth as butter with settings at medium, 40hz, 40fps, 540p and using Steam OS FSR to upscale. I love the easy 40hz setting of Steam OS and I'm finding the system level FSR upscaling 540p to 720p very acceptable visual quality. Text takes the biggest hit in fidelity but apart from that I think it's really worth it for the extra performance. You can't hit 40fps for example at 720p unless you set everything to low.

Steam OS is really growing on me, and the Deck runs this game 'better' and at higher fps than my PS4 Pro. I know it's not the same "resolution", but on the small screen the PPI is high, so it is objectively better. Crazy really for a handheld device.

Last edited:

been a couple of patches since launch and probably when he made that vid.

Been trying Control on the deck this eve.

Runs smooth as butter with settings at medium, 40hz, 40fps, 540p and using Steam OS FSR to upscale. I love the easy 40hz setting of Steam OS and I'm finding the system level FSR upscaling 540p to 720p very acceptable visual quality. Text takes the biggest hit in fidelity but apart from that I think it's really worth it for the extra performance. You can't hit 40fps for example at 720p unless you set everything to low.

Steam OS is really growing on me, and the Deck runs this game 'better' and at higher fps than my PS4 Pro. I know it's not the same "resolution", but on the small screen the PPI is high, so it is objectively better. Crazy really for a handheld device.

Been mostly running control at medium (lighting low) with a near locked 40FPS at native resolution. If I uncap the FPS it goes higher than 40 (depending on the area of the game) but I keep it locked to 40 as the occasional drop into the high 30’s is not noticeable.

Quick question, when I open up the graphics settings via the 3 dots and select the performance setting, then go to scaling filter and select FSR, does that still work if I play in 1280x800, or do I need to drop it down a little to see any performance gain?

Also, I've managed to set the frame buffer size to 4gb, and NMS is smoother for me now :D

FSR only kicks in if you set below 720p in the game's graphics settings. It has nothing to upscale if you think about it, unless you set it lower than native. I believe some games have to be set as fullscreen too, but I usually always run fullscreen anyway (good PC gaming habit).

Quick thing annoying me today - for some reason now, all 3 games I have installed are now showing "gamescope" in the on screen overlay. Before they were showing "DXVK". I haven't changed the proton version or anything else that I know of. Why's it doing this? Does it matter? Is it using a different API? How do I know which one? If so that could have a significant effect, up or down, on game performance....

Last edited:
FSR only kicks in if you set below 720p in the game's graphics settings. It has nothing to upscale if you think about it, unless you set it lower than native. I believe some games have to be set as fullscreen too, but I usually always run fullscreen anyway (good PC gaming habit).

Quick thing annoying me today - for some reason now, all 3 games I have installed are now showing "gamescope" in the on screen overlay. Before they were showing "DXVK". I haven't changed the proton version or anything else that I know of. Why's it doing this? Does it matter? Is it using a different API? How do I know which one? If so that could have a significant effect, up or down, on game performance....
Mine says that too, weird..

Does anyone else actually "like" haptic on the joysticks for things like first person shooters? I'm starting to play Blue shift (classic) and profiles seem to always have it turned on but I can't stand it!

Last edited:
Bayonetta 3 RyuJinx

Screenshot-2022-11-05-165534.png

Back
Top Bottom