*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Finally got stuck into mass effect legendary edition on the steam deck and so far its great. Takes a little while to first load into the game, but once its going it plays fantastically.

Been playing forza horizon 5 and oh my it's a beaut on the Deck considering the 800p res. 60fps with high settings. Few shots:

2-14.jpg
2-13.jpg
2-12.jpg
2-10.jpg

2-8.jpg
2-4.jpg
2-1.jpg

FIFA 23 is jarring, can't for the life of me get it to boot, constantly getting "secure boot not enabled" error, when it is enabled.. Looking online lots of people have had this problem (on other systems) I've tried all the "fixes" but nothing works. Any ideas please?

Last edited:
So I've tried Windows 11 for a bit on my Steam Deck and I've switched back to SteamOS. The tight integration of the OS with the hardware gives it more of a console-like experience for me, and to be honest the vast majority of the games I want to play work nicely with SteamOS in any case.

Best thing with the Deck is you have all of the options at your fingertips.

Want to run Windows, Emulators, Mess around with Linux, streaming contect (Xbox, Steam link etc) you can. :)

EDIT: I just wish it has USB4 (limitation of APU / chipset) as I would love to mess around with an external GPU dock (yes I may have been watching ETA Primes recent Aya Neo 2 video...).

On that latter point I messed around a bit more with Xbox streaming with BF5 and honestly after a few minutes I completely forgot it was being streamed.

Last edited:
Best thing with the Deck is you have all of the options at your fingertips.

Want to run Windows, Emulators, Mess around with Linux, streaming contect (Xbox, Steam link etc) you can. :)

EDIT: I just wish it has USB4 (limitation of APU / chipset) as I would love to mess around with an external GPU dock (yes I may have been watching ETA Primes recent Aya Neo 2 video...).

On that latter point I messed around a bit more with Xbox streaming with BF5 and honestly after a few minutes I completely forgot it was being streamed.
Yep since they’ve updated Xbox cloud gaming so that it’s using the new codecs on Linux, it’s really quite good. Played though a bit of Halo Infinite last night.

Thinking of getting one of these soon. Is the 64gb still the one to go for? Doesnt sound like enough storage, is there a recommended hard drive upgrade for these?

Googling seems to show 256gn 2230 drives around £80 so a saving of around £30 to the 256gb models? Unless im missing some ultra cheap deal on drives

Thinking of getting one of these soon. Is the 64gb still the one to go for? Doesnt sound like enough storage, is there a recommended hard drive upgrade for these?

Googling seems to show 256gn 2230 drives around £80 so a saving of around £30 to the 256gb models? Unless im missing some ultra cheap deal on drives
Just get the 512gb and be done with it I'd suggest.

There was a deal earlier which I missed where some 256GB drives were going for 18 quid or something similarly ridiculous, gutted! You can also grab one from ebay (shipped from china) where looks around 40 quid for a 256GB or 60 quid for a 512GB. Tempted to go for the 512GB myself so I can setup some dual booting, otherwise the 64GB stock deck I have has been absolutely fine with a 512GB microSD. :)

There was a deal earlier which I missed where some 256GB drives were going for 18 quid or something similarly ridiculous, gutted! You can also grab one from ebay (shipped from china) where looks around 40 quid for a 256GB or 60 quid for a 512GB. Tempted to go for the 512GB myself so I can setup some dual booting, otherwise the 64GB stock deck I have has been absolutely fine with a 512GB microSD. :)

Assuming it cant run games from the SD card?

Back
Top Bottom