*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

My steamdeck came today and i'm setting it up, however i'm having issues with xcloud.

I've ran through the document from MS and I launch edge and that's fine, but it wont let me click anything in the web site. The mouse moves with the right track pad but i press down and nothing. Any tips?
Try the triggers, sometimes they register as mouse clicks.

I've come across times when the trackpad doesn't click, or it switches to the triggers, so just try that, and a restart normally helps too.

Ha! The funny thing is that Vermintide 2 is exactly what prompted this question. He had us all download it, then declared that it turned out it would be really complicated to get working so could we look for something you just load up and play.

Is he wrong?

Surely it should be as simple as having everyone on your Steam friends list and then following the in-game process for creating a party. From memory it has the same Steam Friends functionality (chat, party chat etc).

New APU driver out for Windows deck people :)

Awesome, that is my evening now gone! :)

Will be testing out using Destiny 2. Hoping for a bit of an improvement overall. :)

Try the triggers, sometimes they register as mouse clicks.

I've come across times when the trackpad doesn't click, or it switches to the triggers, so just try that, and a restart normally helps too.
Nope, nothing doing. Ach well i'll try more messing around and if not i suppose i'll need to use desktop mode for it.

Actually i've found a community controller profile of Gamepad with mouse trackpad (streaming) and seems to work now. Will try some games though lol

Last edited:
Nope, nothing doing. Ach well i'll try more messing around and if not i suppose i'll need to use desktop mode for it.

Actually i've found a community controller profile of Gamepad with mouse trackpad (streaming) and seems to work now. Will try some games though lol
Have you done the udev step? I’ve just done the tutorial and it worked fine

My steamdeck came today and i'm setting it up, however i'm having issues with xcloud.

I've ran through the document from MS and I launch edge and that's fine, but it wont let me click anything in the web site. The mouse moves with the right track pad but i press down and nothing. Any tips?

Weirdly it works on desktop mode, just not on steam gaming mode thingy.
If you've set the controller configuration correctly, you should be able to use the analog stick and buttons on that site.

Yep, FSR2.1 enabled and locked to 30 in game, not the os.

Just checked the settings and everything is set to high, apart from contact shadows which is on medium, very very impressed, but I haven't done any shooting yet, so the fps may drop, just been driving around and talking to people/cutscenes.
What is the FSR set to? Balanced? Just downloading the update now going to try it out

What is the FSR set to? Balanced? Just downloading the update now going to try it out
I think I went for performance then set the sharpness all the way up, can't really see the difference between balanced and quality.

I have increased the vram to 4gb, and done some swap file and trim adjustments as well, so not sure how much extra or negative performance I'm getting with those tweaks

Has anyone tried to set the gpu clock to 1600, does it make a much of a performance difference apart from draining battery life?
I've not tried it, but I do find I'm far more likely to turn things down to extend play time, rather than crank things up for more performance. But I could see it being more useful if you play docked

Has anyone tried to set the gpu clock to 1600, does it make a much of a performance difference apart from draining battery life?

Haven't tried specifically but even if set the Deck will still be both power and to a lesser extent thermally limited. The APU itself has a max TDP (without tweaks) of 15w which must be shared between the CPU and GPU. Assuming you could lock the GPU clocks at 1600Mhz* the CPU will not be able to boost as hard as it would do if the GPU clocks were lower - same power budget.

* Even if set I imagine the GPU will just do its own thing with the max available clock being 1600. This is the same as AMD desktop / laptop dGPU's. You can tell them to run at say 2500Mhz, but the actual boost clock will be lower due to all manner of different reasons.

I did see on the Deck Reddit that some people have been running the Deck at a higher APU TDP (not looked into this further than just reading the comments so can't confirm validity), but then noted it just hit the thermal limit instead.

On the separate note of the new Windows APU driver, I tried it last night on my SD Win 11 install and so far, the performance seems markedly improved in Destiny 2. Framerate itself hasn't shot up or anything (capped at 60 to prevent tearing), but it feels way more consistent with less drops into the 30's. Essentially it is no longer a stuttery mess in areas it was previously a stuttery mess. :)

Will try my other Windows install (docked with USB SSD) either tonight or tomorrow. I am most interested to see how the performance is like at up to 1080p.

Haven't tried specifically but even if set the Deck will still be both power and to a lesser extent thermally limited. The APU itself has a max TDP (without tweaks) of 15w which must be shared between the CPU and GPU. Assuming you could lock the GPU clocks at 1600Mhz* the CPU will not be able to boost as hard as it would do if the GPU clocks were lower - same power budget.

* Even if set I imagine the GPU will just do its own thing with the max available clock being 1600. This is the same as AMD desktop / laptop dGPU's. You can tell them to run at say 2500Mhz, but the actual boost clock will be lower due to all manner of different reasons.

I did see on the Deck Reddit that some people have been running the Deck at a higher APU TDP (not looked into this further than just reading the comments so can't confirm validity), but then noted it just hit the thermal limit instead.

On the separate note of the new Windows APU driver, I tried it last night on my SD Win 11 install and so far, the performance seems markedly improved in Destiny 2. Framerate itself hasn't shot up or anything (capped at 60 to prevent tearing), but it feels way more consistent with less drops into the 30's. Essentially it is no longer a stuttery mess in areas it was previously a stuttery mess. :)

Will try my other Windows install (docked with USB SSD) either tonight or tomorrow. I am most interested to see how the performance is like at up to 1080p.
That's interesting!

I just tried limiting the clock to 1300, to give more headroom for the CPU in NMS hoping it would help with the stutter, as the frametimes are all over the place when the cpu starts to spike, hasn't made much of difference..

The search for a perfectly smooth NMS at 30fps still goes on, I have read that on Windows it is smoother, so that may be my last chance.

Also, what are the recommended 1tb sd cards, looking to pick one up on black friday?

That's interesting!

I just tried limiting the clock to 1300, to give more headroom for the CPU in NMS hoping it would help with the stutter, as the frametimes are all over the place when the cpu starts to spike, hasn't made much of difference..

The search for a perfectly smooth NMS at 30fps still goes on, I have read that on Windows it is smoother, so that may be my last chance.

Also, what are the recommended 1tb sd cards, looking to pick one up on black friday?
Just make sure it has an A1/A2 rating, and stick with the better brands (eg Samsung, Sandisk).

I did see fixing the GPU clock can help with more GPU bound games as it forces the Deck to always dedicate a portion of the TDP to the GPU. So it will vary between games if it will really help.

Really impressed with battery life within Windows, General pc stuff, media etc (not gaming)

Screenshot-2022-11-10-041115.png

But once you're gaming it gets rinsed haha.

Back
Top Bottom