*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Anyone else gaming at 40Hz? Tried that but I'm seeing flicker, checked with a few others in case it's my specific Deck but they don't notice it so I guess I'm just more sensitive to it. Tried 45Hz but still see it there, only when I go from 50Hz or above it looks fine. It's a shame since I do notice a significant difference in battery life when capping at 40fps instead of 60.

Last edited:
Associate
It completely ruined the boot partition and nothing bootable was showing. Got Steam OS back after a reinstall with the Recovery Image. Just trying to get Windows back now.

I'm not complaining, i wasnt exactly running a "supported" config!

Last edited:
Associate
It completely ruined the boot partition and nothing bootable was showing. Got Steam OS back after a reinstall with the Recovery Image. Just trying to get Windows back now.

I'm not complaining, i wasnt exactly running a "supported" config!
I guess it is a full upgrade of the underlying operating system with this new version (new kernel etc) so that might explain it.

Associate
I got everything up and running and decided to try the upgrade again (I'm not mad, I want to be able to upgrade in the future, so though it best to have a go before reinstalling games etc). I managed to get back into Steam OS by doing an EFI File boot and reinstalled the boot loader from there.

On testing 3.4 i found it to be quite buggy. Vampire survivors didnt work at all and a few other games have reported issues too (FH5 and HL2 as well as a couple of others).

I'd suggest hanging on until a more stable version is released (i'm back on 3.3.2).

Last edited:
Associate
Not using the beta SW but recently I've been having a few more issues than normal, HL2 crashed a few times, Fallout4 map isnt allowing me to scroll around either :/

Associate
Anyone else gaming at 40Hz? Tried that but I'm seeing flicker, checked with a few others in case it's my specific Deck but they don't notice it so I guess I'm just more sensitive to it. Tried 45Hz but still see it there, only when I go from 50Hz or above it looks fine. It's a shame since I do notice a significant difference in battery life when capping at 40fps instead of 60.

I have mine locked at 45Hz pretty much all of the time. No flicker here either.

Soldato
I'm running most stuff at 40hz or 30. Definitely no flicker (and I'm very sensitive/ picky to anything like this).

When you say flicker what do you mean exactly?

Just a thought but are you running any games with DXVK_ASYNC tweaks? This apparently can cause a v brief flashing effect when it does a shader comp, but I've not noticed it myself.

Soldato
I'm running most stuff at 40hz or 30. Definitely no flicker (and I'm very sensitive/ picky to anything like this).

When you say flicker what do you mean exactly?

Just a thought but are you running any games with DXVK_ASYNC tweaks? This apparently can cause a v brief flashing effect when it does a shader comp, but I've not noticed it myself.

It's like the backlight is flashing on and off. Nope, no tweaks. I noticed the same sort of flicker on freesync displays but those one didn't have proper low framerate compensation. But yeah I agree it's just me being a little too sensitive. It's more noticeable if I'm playing a static game, if it's a game where I'm moving around a lot then I don't notice it at all.

Edit: Alright setting the brightness lower seems to remove the flicker. I guess having it too high makes it more noticeable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone got any tips for Vampire Survivors? Such an addictive game but I am only managing to get just past 15 minutes each run, that's on the 1st level with multiple different characters/builds. loving every run though just would like to get to the 30-minute mark! :D

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Anyone got any tips for Vampire Survivors? Such an addictive game but I am only managing to get just past 15 minutes each run, that's on the 1st level with multiple different characters/builds. loving every run though just would like to get to the 30-minute mark! :D

I played that when I had a Steam Deck, pretty sure I played much more than 15 minutes per run. A lot longer actually as after a while things would really slow down as the deck would struggle to handle it. Which kind of helped to be honest as I had longer to react. Great game for the deck that, was not as fun playing on desktop.

Soldato
How long are people waiting for their Official Dock to be delivered, the website says 1-2 weeks, is this accurate?
I purchased mine Friday morning (last week) and it was picked up by the courier in the Netherlands yesterday evening.

Seems to align with what I've seen other people post i.e. faster than the estimate.

Back
Top Bottom