*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Permabanned
If there a guide to get Xenia working on SteamOS? Fancy playing RDR1 again, happy to tinker (and no interest in Windows).
Such a great game and good experience on the deck. I played it through when it first came out and it's still as good as ever. 12 years later. Rockstar were ahead of time with this game.

Soldato
Not done it personally but found this online:

Hey thanks for that, my google skills are way below par these days. Been looking for some solid info on Xenia using Steam OS and could only find rubbish.

Going to give this a shot as even though performance is mostly bad, it sounds like the x360 Goldeneye remaster works well, and that's the only one I really wanted to try on the Deck

Permabanned
Hey thanks for that, my google skills are way below par these days. Been looking for some solid info on Xenia using Steam OS and could only find rubbish.

Going to give this a shot as even though performance is mostly bad, it sounds like the x360 Goldeneye remaster works well, and that's the only one I really wanted to try on the Deck

Associate
DSC-0359.jpg

DSC-0361.jpg

Witcher 3 runs like a dream. Although I should really wait for the update next week.

Nice! Not tried Witcher yet. Update should be decent hopefully !

Permabanned
Associate
Really tempted buying one of these (probably the 64Gb model) and then expanding the storage, have a gaming pc already but the idea of sitting on the sofa playing pc games sounds brilliant, and the idea that its basically a mini pc in your hands (windows, gamepass,ea origin etc) sounds to good to be true.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well i have had my deck for a week now. its a nice bit of kit. i must admit it is probably not going to get a huge amount of use, but i knew that going in.

certainly nice to have it on hand for specific occasions.

I am impressed with how powerful it is, it seems to make a decent fist of running (the notoriously unoptimised) elite dangerous odyssey on medium detail.

Anyone who wants a mobile device and has a big steam collection its almost a no brainer over other consoles such as the switch. Yes the hardware is a little more expensive but i doubt i will ever buy a game specifically for it... so from that POV it is cheaper (and free online play as well of course)

I would like to see official GOG and epic store etc integration. i have huge catelogues of games i have yet to try.

Soldato
Well i have had my deck for a week now. its a nice bit of kit. i must admit it is probably not going to get a huge amount of use, but i knew that going in.

certainly nice to have it on hand for specific occasions.

I am impressed with how powerful it is, it seems to make a decent fist of running (the notoriously unoptimised) elite dangerous odyssey on medium detail.

Anyone who wants a mobile device and has a big steam collection its almost a no brainer over other consoles such as the switch. Yes the hardware is a little more expensive but i doubt i will ever buy a game specifically for it... so from that POV it is cheaper (and free online play as well of course)

I would like to see official GOG and epic store etc integration. i have huge catelogues of games i have yet to try.
The Nintendo Switch is still it's own thing in my opinion. While emulation is there it's no where near where it needs to be to replace owning one right now and you're only going to get those Nintendo experiences on the go on the Switch with any form of reliability.

Check out Heroic for GOG and Epic if you haven't. Takes a bit of tinkering to get things like cloud saves working properly and the UI isn't amazingly optimised for Deck but in terms of playing games it's been flawless for me. You can add direct shortcuts to games to the SteamOS too so you can make it so it's like running through Steam after setting it up.

Permabanned
Really tempted buying one of these (probably the 64Gb model) and then expanding the storage, have a gaming pc already but the idea of sitting on the sofa playing pc games sounds brilliant, and the idea that its basically a mini pc in your hands (windows, gamepass,ea origin etc) sounds to good to be true.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the deck for me is one of the best purchases I've made in a very long time. I rarely sit at my desk with the main rig now, parsec streaming to deck is brilliant too. 10 years ago the thought of having something like this in your hands was merely a dream. I'll never get rid of this and I'll be using it till it (hopefully not) dies. I'll be getting a Steam Deck 2 when it's launched.
Sounds too good to be true but it really isn't.
Also if you love emulation it's a beast in that department too.

DSC-0394-3.jpg

Permabanned
@hyperseven the fella who has made them power tools has added steam controller support now so you don't have to use SWICD anymore. Running really nicely. Also left trackpad allows you to scroll up and down in windows.

Also he's added more features on the latest debug, such as GPU frequencies etc.

Last edited:
Associate
One last problem (sorry)
my steam account is registered to me and the wife’s email address, so what are my options regarding the wife not seeing all the emails saying what i bought and for how much lol ?

dont think i can just setup another steam account and buy from that could i ?
the steam deck isn’t locked to the steam account you buy it from ?

Last edited:
Permabanned
You can make a throwaway account and buy it from that no problem. It's not locked to an account no, it's the same as a pc, whatever you do on your pc you can do on the Steam Deck (within reason: performance limitations and depending what OS you use Linux/Windows).

Last edited:
Associate
@hyperseven the fella who has made them power tools has added steam controller support now so you don't have to use SWICD anymore. Running really nicely. Also left trackpad allows you to scroll up and down in windows.

Also he's added more features on the latest debug, such as GPU frequencies etc.

Really....... the faff with controller support and SWICD was one of the things that put me off using Windows on the Deck. Hmmmm.

Soldato
Windows using this guide : https://github.com/baldsealion/Steamdeck-Ultimate-Windows11-Guide/wiki

No need for Steam OS anymore.

Forgot how good Red Dead Redemption is, not played it for years, really nice experience on the deck. Think I'm going to play through the whole game! Dare I say it's better than RDR2?

Thanks for this link, steamos drives me mad so i want to follow the guide, is it just as simple as installing from a usb, they dont seem to show the installation process on the link, is it just as simple as a normal windows install?

Back
Top Bottom