*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
Help.
I have now gone through the process of a steam support ticket and have been advised they will replace the deck.
But reason is:

I have a 64GB steam deck and bought a 512 m.2 sabrent ssd to upgrade the internal memory, 1st I tried to clone what I had on the 64Gb ssd but upon using the konsole command I kept getting not enough memory around the 7.4GB stage, so went for a fresh install and followed the instructions on how to put the recovery tool onto my 512GB Samsung usb stick via rufus and installed the Sabrent 512GB m.2 ssd into the steam deck,
booted into bios and it showed the the new Sabrent m.2 in two partians of which, one showed steamOS as a name which i found stranged and under that their was my usb stick which had the image on,
so i selected the usb stick and the next screen showed up 4 options to select, so i selected the reinstall steamOS and the problems start here, first it showed me ”error please try again“ and i have followed some videos of which people have been told to press back and keep trying to get past the error, when i finally get past that stage i get onto the other problem where it shows me the steam logo screen with ”starting the download updates” where it just hangs forever, again have been suggested to go back and forth to see if it kicks in the download but nothing, on way occasion i did get past the steam logo screen and rebooted but then gave me another error, i have tried repeating the process all of last night but still nothing and even tried a fresh reimage steam recovery but before i do that theirs load of partitions on my usb stick that i have to delete to get my full storage capacity back on the usb stick.

any help would be appreciated?
do i just send the deck back with its original 64GB ssd and wait for a new deck ?
but what happens if the process happens again when upgrading the internal ssd with the 512GB Sabrent i have ?
i have all the equipment beforehand (m.2 inclosure for when i tried to clone the original ssd)

Would it help to try and take the new sabrent m.2 ssd and put it into the enclosure and connect it to a pc to delete the two partions so that it has all of the storage available and one partion ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/197572109@N06/shares/K7jBn9ELPB

Last edited:
Soldato
JSAUX now has a clear back shell with a cooling plate for the CPU/GPU, seems to work pretty well, knocks a few degrees off and the fan speed is lower so a quieter deck. Ordered one to try out as the deck fan can get annoying at high speeds in very demanding games.

Easy to install as well, should only take few minutes as it's only the back cover.

Where do you buy these? I don’t have a steam deck but would be interested in this if I did.

Last edited:
Associate
Help.
I have now gone through the process of a steam support ticket and have been advised they will replace the deck.
But reason is:

I have a 64GB steam deck and bought a 512 m.2 sabrent ssd to upgrade the internal memory, 1st I tried to clone what I had on the 64Gb ssd but upon using the konsole command I kept getting not enough memory around the 7.4GB stage, so went for a fresh install and followed the instructions on how to put the recovery tool onto my 512GB Samsung usb stick via rufus and installed the Sabrent 512GB m.2 ssd into the steam deck,
booted into bios and it showed the the new Sabrent m.2 in two partians of which, one showed steamOS as a name which i found stranged and under that their was my usb stick which had the image on,
so i selected the usb stick and the next screen showed up 4 options to select, so i selected the reinstall steamOS and the problems start here, first it showed me ”error please try again“ and i have followed some videos of which people have been told to press back and keep trying to get past the error, when i finally get past that stage i get onto the other problem where it shows me the steam logo screen with ”starting the download updates” where it just hangs forever, again have been suggested to go back and forth to see if it kicks in the download but nothing, on way occasion i did get past the steam logo screen and rebooted but then gave me another error, i have tried repeating the process all of last night but still nothing and even tried a fresh reimage steam recovery but before i do that theirs load of partitions on my usb stick that i have to delete to get my full storage capacity back on the usb stick.

any help would be appreciated?
do i just send the deck back with its original 64GB ssd and wait for a new deck ?
but what happens if the process happens again when upgrading the internal ssd with the 512GB Sabrent i have ?
i have all the equipment beforehand (m.2 inclosure for when i tried to clone the original ssd)

Would it help to try and take the new sabrent m.2 ssd and put it into the enclosure and connect it to a pc to delete the two partions so that it has all of the storage available and one partion ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/197572109@N06/shares/K7jBn9ELPB
Delete the partitions on the ssd before doing a fresh install.
You seem to suggest you now have 'extra' data on your USB stick, that doesn't sound right...

I couldn't get install via USB working so I put the recovery image on an SD card, it's a common tip to do it this way. I did still have to do a few reboots when things would hang but it eventually worked.

Associate
Delete the partitions on the ssd before doing a fresh install.
You seem to suggest you now have 'extra' data on your USB stick, that doesn't sound right...

I couldn't get install via USB working so I put the recovery image on an SD card, it's a common tip to do it this way. I did still have to do a few reboots when things would hang but it eventually worked.

So deleting the partitions from the new ssd would be putting into the enclosure and connecting it to a pc/laptop and going onto disk management and deleting partitions and allocating the storage to its maximum?

My usb stick has been cleared before I put the steam recovery image onto it and then somehow I have around 4 or 5 partitions when I view my usb via my computer, and the same when I enter the bios on the steam deck,
Wouldn’t a micro sd card do the same when I use the same route ?

Soldato
Nothing unusual to see a bunch of partitions on the USB drive after the image has been written to it. Maybe try writing the image to another USB stick. I used an old 8GB stick which worked just fine.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, wipe the ssd partitions, as you have no data on it you won't lose anything and although it may well not have been a problem it doesn't hurt to do it.

Reading your post I thought you saw extra data/partitions on your USB AFTER trying to recover which would be weird, if that's not the case and they are created when you create the recover USB then don't worry about it.
Using the SD card instead of USB can make a difference, it sort of got me further along the install process whn I was having issues.

Last edited:
Associate
what I find strange is even though the usb has numerous partitions I don’t understand why I have so many boot options via the boot menu on the deck,
Theirs the 2 partitions sabrent ssd , one that actually says the name of my usb stick of which I have the image on (hopefully) and 2 or 3 other boot files that maybe be the other partitions from the stick,

Just confusing as when I follow all the other videos most have the usb stick showing and nothing else, not even the installed m.2

Will try some options that you guys have suggested:
Delete all partitions from the new ssd,
Try a different usb stick for the rufus, recovery image,
And even maybe try the micro sd card instead of the usb stick.

Will take some pics to see if any of you can make sense of it if I still run into trouble.

Last edited:
Associate
Where do you buy these? I don’t have a steam deck but would be interested in this if I did.

Can buy it directly from Jsaux. Still waiting for mine to show up but can’t be much longer now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone else find FSR 2.0 absolutely horrible on supported games on the deck?

I've tried Spiderman, God of War and Uncharted now, all which support FSR 2 and it looks terrible even at Quality level - Muddy and low res.

I'm a huge fan of DLSS and use it all the time on my main PC so I'm not against upscaling tech and I know what I'm doing. I get better results on deck just using the game's in-built resolution scale at around 70%. Image looks much sharper and performance is similar to FSR 2 Quality level. Is it just that FSR 2 is useless at upscaling from already low resolutions?

What doesn't make any sense though is that I can get Days Gone on deck to look and perform fantastic, using a lower res 540p in the in game options and then using the deck's inbuilt FSR (v1.0 only, not 2) to upscale to 800p and it looks miles better than FSR 2 on the games mentioned above. Confused....

Last edited:
Associate
Never really noticed any issues apart from uncharted having a weird checkerboard on some textures (and the weird Elena hair bug but that wasn't fsr? )

Last edited:
Soldato
I've not even played around with the scaling on mine yet. Will have to see how I get on with it.

I got my 64GB one last week along with a 256GB SSD for cheap to see how I got along with it. I've since decided that I'm really rather impressed with it so I bought a 1TB SSD which arrived today. Just finished getting the Deck apart, drive in, OS reinstalled and have kicked a bunch of downloads off now.

I'm using an Ethernet adapter and cable since my wifi can't max out my 1Gb connection but it seems the Deck can't via Ethernet either. I seem to hit around 75MB/sec which is still stupidly quick but interesting that it can't max it. What I am also noticing is that downloading larger games makes the fan run at full pelt too. I assume this is because of the CPU power involved to decompress as it goes.

Last edited:
Associate
I really don’t use FSR on the deck as I hate the crappy upscaling job it does, I like to keep games running at the native res and sacrifice some other settings like shadows. I love upscaling with DLSS on the PC but as the game on the deck is already running at a low resolution natively, upscaling from even an even lower one isn’t going to look great.

Hopefully FSR gets far better in time with new software or better hardware but I really don’t like it at the moment.

Permabanned
I really don’t use FSR on the deck as I hate the crappy upscaling job it does, I like to keep games running at the native res and sacrifice some other settings like shadows. I love upscaling with DLSS on the PC but as the game on the deck is already running at a low resolution natively, upscaling from even an even lower one isn’t going to look great.

Hopefully FSR gets far better in time with new software or better hardware but I really don’t like it at the moment.
I don't find too bad at all, I use it in some games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom