*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I started making a new steam deck folder getting ready for steam deck 2 :p I recon it will be out by end of next year. Get the feeling though a 1080p OLED version that I would want won't be cheap.

Caporegime
I'm very happy with my case/cover- post 3396, page 170 of this thread. Pull out of bag, flip the front, play.
I got the same too! took a while to arrive though, so long i forgot i ordered it. In between ordering it and receiving it i put on a screen protector so now I don’t need to OG case at all, it’s pretty protected all round.

Permabanned
I started making a new steam deck folder getting ready for steam deck 2 :p I recon it will be out by end of next year. Get the feeling though a 1080p OLED version that I would want won't be cheap.
I've read that they think it'll be pretty much the same spec but improvements in certain areas. I highly doubt they'll make 1080p OLED. The Steam Deck is great because it's cheap.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've read that they think it'll be pretty much the same spec but improvements in certain areas. I highly doubt they'll make 1080p OLED. The Steam Deck is great because it's cheap.

Battery for sure is what I read.

Better screen too I recon with OLED options.

My other want is to somehow make it less bulky.

I am happy if specs are similar or only a bit better to allow for 1080p.

I agree price is very important. But if they can hit £349 now then 2-3 years after the original they should be able to add a 1080p OLED screen to it for an extra £100. We will see I guess.

I had one ages ago, was 2nd person in this thread to get it as I recall. Was fun but was a little put off by the display and resolution and could not say no to £500 profit I think it was. So my next deck is paid for already in a way.

Associate
Help.
I have now gone through the process of a steam support ticket and have been advised they will replace the deck.
But reason is:

I have a 64GB steam deck and bought a 512 m.2 sabrent ssd to upgrade the internal memory, 1st I tried to clone what I had on the 64Gb ssd but upon using the konsole command I kept getting not enough memory around the 7.4GB stage, so went for a fresh install and followed the instructions on how to put the recovery tool onto my 512GB Samsung usb stick via rufus and installed the Sabrent 512GB m.2 ssd into the steam deck,
booted into bios and it showed the the new Sabrent m.2 in two partians of which, one showed steamOS as a name which i found stranged and under that their was my usb stick which had the image on,
so i selected the usb stick and the next screen showed up 4 options to select, so i selected the reinstall steamOS and the problems start here, first it showed me ”error please try again“ and i have followed some videos of which people have been told to press back and keep trying to get past the error, when i finally get past that stage i get onto the other problem where it shows me the steam logo screen with ”starting the download updates” where it just hangs forever, again have been suggested to go back and forth to see if it kicks in the download but nothing, on way occasion i did get past the steam logo screen and rebooted but then gave me another error, i have tried repeating the process all of last night but still nothing and even tried a fresh reimage steam recovery but before i do that theirs load of partitions on my usb stick that i have to delete to get my full storage capacity back on the usb stick.

any help would be appreciated?
do i just send the deck back with its original 64GB ssd and wait for a new deck ?
but what happens if the process happens again when upgrading the internal ssd with the 512GB Sabrent i have ?
i have all the equipment beforehand (m.2 inclosure for when i tried to clone the original ssd)

Would it help to try and take the new sabrent m.2 ssd and put it into the enclosure and connect it to a pc to delete the two partions so that it has all of the storage available and one partion ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/197572109@N06/shares/K7jBn9ELPB

Was it a brand new drive you put in ? I ask as I got my deck a week or so ago and first thing I did was upgrade the drive before even turning it on and everything installed smoothly and it’s been trouble free since but that was with a brand new sabrent rocket 1tb so maybe if your drive is used it may need the partitions removed first and formated before trying again .I’m no expert but give a it a try

Last edited:
Soldato
I had some minor issues that sound familiar, like having to go back and re choose the wifi connection due to sticking on the download updates page. Then I may have had to force reset once but after that it was smooth sailing. I installed via a USB HDD connected to USB C Hub.

Not sure why you would have to send it back unless you have put the 64GB back in and it is still borked ?

If having trouble with SteamOS could also try installing Windows 11 direct to the Sabrent to make sure it is working okay. Same idea, think you can just use rufus to put it on your USB stick. Either Windows 10 or 11 but I think wifi will work during install only on 11. You can use wired if you have it available via a hub or just put the necessary drivers on the USB stick. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They'll have to cater for different options and manufacture different variants. Not really viable in terms of production.

That would be nice if they offered a premium version as long as it didn’t mean the lower tier models suffer lower performance as a result .

Yup. We will see I suppose. I would be surprised ifnall we get is improved battery for steam deck 2. My prediction is a better screen (not necessarily OLED, but likely) and generally a better hand held that is a bit less bulky.

Permabanned
I love the Deck, I use it daily. Recently completed Red Dead Redemption on Xenia (360 Emulator) 30fps throughout. It really is an amazing bit of kit. I would ask for better battery life though for sure.

Soldato
Bit pointless then or more a refresh like the Switch.

They can always have a pro model that has oled screen 1080p and maybe charge £600 and I'll still bite as would many.

Associate
Bit pointless then or more a refresh like the Switch.

They can always have a pro model that has oled screen 1080p and maybe charge £600 and I'll still bite as would many.
It would be good if it's not a major change, meaning for example they could offer the upgraded screen as a replacement part and current owners could swap out their current screen for the upgraded one without having to buy a whole new deck.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd expect an incremental update- maybe a brighter screen and better battery life. The screen is right-sized for 720p, any bigger and you'd need 1080p, which means a new APU, which means a new underlying platform. Game devs love consistent standardised hardware as they can easily optimise and push it to the max. The Switch is a good example of that- nearly 6 years on and they're still doing some impressive stuff with it.

Also given the rampant and still recent success of the first version, I wouldn't expect the same sales for Deckv2, at least within a couple of years. Gamers with deeper pockets would probably have gone for one of the higher-power competing devices anyhow.

Soldato
As above, most likely just a simple revision like how the PS4 slim to the PS4 was. Maybe like the Switch, swapping to an OLED screen with smaller bezels while still being 1280x800. One improvement could be changing to a proper landscape screen, the current one is actually portrait and while most games are fine a few older non-steam games in desktop mode ends up in the wrong orientation. And then perhaps a die shrink of the APU, although the next jump would be 5nm and I don't think will be beneficial enough for Valve to consider that. I'm not expecting a full blown successor until much later.

What I would like to see is USB 4 with eGPU support. That would suddenly make the Deck a strong viable gaming desktop replacement.

Associate
What’s a good price for a 1TB SD card at present?

I’ve got a 512gb currently in there that I nabbed from my Switch but thinking I should grab another one but go the full monty for the Deck.

Associate
Was it a brand new drive you put in ? I ask as I got my deck a week or so ago and first thing I did was upgrade the drive before even turning it on and everything installed smoothly and it’s been trouble free since but that was with a brand new sabrent rocket 1tb so maybe if your drive is used it may need the partitions removed first and formated before trying again .I’m no expert but give a it a try
Sorry for the late reply, i finally sorted it out, i used a previous recovery image and although it hanged on the logo screen for a few seconds it worked,
so after the constant repeating of wiping and cleaning my usb stick and trying different ones it was the latest recovery image that was my prblemish.

Back
Top Bottom