*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Getting back into Red Dead Redemption 2 after a long pause. In fact I'm so rusty I started the story again. This game brought my R9 290X/I7 based PC to it's knees when it came out, yet here I am playing it on a handheld and it looks fantastic. Almost unbelievable.

After reading this post I had a change of heart, regretting my decision not take my pre-order, and decided I wanted in on the Steam Deck action. I took a gamble on an eBay one for £250!

If I'm honest I didn't hold up much hope for it arriving at all, let alone be anywhere near as described, but I turned out to be wrong! It arrived today and it's a 64gb one, with case, in absolutely amazing condition.

After reading this post I had a change of heart, regretting my decision not take my pre-order, and decided I wanted in on the Steam Deck action. I took a gamble on an eBay one for £250!

If I'm honest I didn't hold up much hope for it arriving at all, let alone be anywhere near as described, but I turned out to be wrong! It arrived today and it's a 64gb one, with case, in absolutely amazing condition.
Its easier to buy it from steam themselves

I would personally get yourself a 1TB SSD and keep your 512 micro SD Card thats what i have done coming from a 64gb model i bought the Sabrent 1tb 2230 for £160
Don’t have the know how/experience to be messing around with SSD’s.

Will probably just buy another 512gb SD card when one goes on sale again.

Is a 64GB model with an SD card for games perfectly acceptable? i'm feeling drawn the one, but i dont know how much i'd use it, so dont want to put too much money in.

Thanks

Personally I think the price of these 1tb sabrent drives is too much, and just not needed. They are even over spec'd for the Deck hardware - the M2 slot is only PCIE 3.

However, the base 64GB ssd is just too small once you start messing with things and installing various stuff (let alone for any games).

The smart move - if you're looking to save some cash but have plenty of storage - is to get the base 64GB model then buy a dirt cheap, perfectly good 256GB ssd for only around £24, then grab a 1TB SD card (used, so a good price). That's what I did. I effectively got the middle tier deck with a 256GB ssd and 1TB of sd storage for about £460 total.

You then have steam OS and all the other gubbins, maybe emudeck, one big game that might benefit from a faster ssd drive on the ssd drive, and all your games on the sd card. The performance/ load times from a decent spec A2 sd card is perfectly fine too.

With a 256GB ssd you also have enough room for a proper dual boot setup so you can run a windeck too. I've not done this yet surprisingly. Have managed to get everything I want running under under Steam OS so far. Big learning curve but doable. Running Windows off an sd card is also not advised by many.

Last edited:
Personally I think the price of these 1tb sabrent drives is too much, and just not needed. They are even over specced for the Deck hardware.

I think the base 64GB ssd is just too small once you start messing with things and installing various stuff (let alone for games). The smart move if you're looking to save some cash but have plenty of storage is to get the base 64GB model then buy a dirt cheap, perfectly good 256GB ssd for only around £24, then grab a 1TB SD card (used, so a good price). That's what I did. The performance/ load times from a decent spec A2 sd card is perfectly fine too.
is the 64GB enough if you run all the games from an SD card?

If i got one, i'd likely just run emulators/indy games on it, along side maybe one bigger game at a time.

does the steam cloud save progress work fairly well? So i can easily carry on the game on my PC?

is the 64GB enough if you run all the games from an SD card?

If i got one, i'd likely just run emulators/indy games on it, along side maybe one bigger game at a time.

does the steam cloud save progress work fairly well? So i can easily carry on the game on my PC?

See my original post, have added a bit. If you're not going to mess around too much with the deck and only play older emulation and indy stuff then the base model and an sd card is probably fine. Give it a go, then go from there if it's not!

Regarding Steam cloud saves - yes that absolutely works, but only if the game specifically has the cloud saves feature - not ALL do. I've got various stuff, especially emulation games that obviously don't have steam cloud sync so I've set up an elaborate system using Megasync for cloud saves. It works like a dream and I have full cross PC-Deck game save progress for anything I want, which is key for me personally.

Last edited:
Thanks, appreciated. The middle tier is £460 anyway, so so i guess you got the 1TB SD card for free in your case, which is not a bad deal.

That's the way I looked at it. Always looking to save a buck.
The Steam Deck really is great, just get one! Mine doesn't leave the house, and I don't use it that much tbh, but I like tinkering with stuff and 'making things work' when they try their best not to.

And someone on here made one of the best comments ever for getting one I've just remembered, something like..........

with a Steam Deck, instead of going upstairs to game and ignore your other half, you can be in the same room and still game whilst pretending not to ignore them.

Something like that anyway :D Who said it? come on and chime in - needs more recognition....

Last edited:
Personally I think the price of these 1tb sabrent drives is too much, and just not needed. They are even over spec'd for the Deck hardware - the M2 slot is only PCIE 3.

However, the base 64GB ssd is just too small once you start messing with things and installing various stuff (let alone for any games).

The smart move - if you're looking to save some cash but have plenty of storage - is to get the base 64GB model then buy a dirt cheap, perfectly good 256GB ssd for only around £24, then grab a 1TB SD card (used, so a good price). That's what I did. I effectively got the middle tier deck with a 256GB ssd and 1TB of sd storage for about £460 total.

You then have steam OS and all the other gubbins, maybe emudeck, one big game that might benefit from a faster ssd drive on the ssd drive, and all your games on the sd card. The performance/ load times from a decent spec A2 sd card is perfectly fine too.

With a 256GB ssd you also have enough room for a proper dual boot setup so you can run a windeck too. I've not done this yet surprisingly. Have managed to get everything I want running under under Steam OS so far. Big learning curve but doable. Running Windows off an sd card is also not advised by many.
Cost me £541 for a even better top tier minus the anti glare screen 1tb ssd and 512gb micro SD

Back
Top Bottom