*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
You know the most difficult thing about being a Steam Deck owner with a decent PC is? Switching from high frame rates to 30FPS. Got to be honest though, as long as the input lag is kept to a minimum it's not too bad. Usually takes some fiddling with the in game cap or the Steam OS cap though until it's sweet.

I've given up trying to get the 40 fps lock, the dips always make it worse. FF7 remake on the Deck has been pretty cool though, really accelerated my way through the game as I was able to pick up and play more readily than getting to the gaming PC.

Associate
You know the most difficult thing about being a Steam Deck owner with a decent PC is? Switching from high frame rates to 30FPS. Got to be honest though, as long as the input lag is kept to a minimum it's not too bad. Usually takes some fiddling with the in game cap or the Steam OS cap though until it's sweet.

I've given up trying to get the 40 fps lock, the dips always make it worse. FF7 remake on the Deck has been pretty cool though, really accelerated my way through the game as I was able to pick up and play more readily than getting to the gaming PC.
Considered moonlight?

Soldato
Considered moonlight?

Yep, although if I'm in the house I'm likely going to game on the PC anyway, it's more when on the go that the 30 fps scenario comes into play. Heh, if anything it's a new experience and I am starting to appreciate that for single player, 30 fps is actually a viable framerate.

Soldato
So they pushed the Steam Deck UI into big picture on pc.

Since then I've had nothing but trouble, the controller emulation seems broken, many games don't see my controllers:

Stadia Wired
Stadia Wireless
PS5 Wireless
PS5 wired

I have yet to try my wired x360 controller, but it is used upstairs in my bedroom so couldn't be arsed to check...

Games like TFU2, NFS:Hot Pursuit now fail registering controller while they worked fine.
Also I download templates for games like tdu 2 and it just loads keyboard+mouse template instead, I say apply template and bam it's back to keyboard + mouse.
The UI is buggy aswell, I've had it freeze ingame twice now.

Anyone else had problems since they made the old big picture obsolete and forced the Steam deck UI?
In regular (desktop) steam I noticed games missing, somehow they activated a ****** filter to only show Steam deck games, **** Steam deck, I play on Steam link and on PC, took me a while to find this filter... Also to play with 2 wired stadia controllers (for splitscreen with friends) in Sonic all stars racing it failed with wireless stadia emulation, but 2x wired worked ok (I had to restart the game though)

Anyone else had problems since the latest Steam updates? I feel like the current ''big picture'' (basically the steam deck UI) is bringing more problems than the old UI and controller emulation. Do they want people to play on consoles instead? The old UI worked fine, now I'm having to jump through hoops/put effort playing on my tv with my controllers... Why are there ***** who want to fix what isn't broken ?

Last edited:
Associate

Agreed, also got ff7 remake for it. Doesn't give me any retro feels though ff7 original back in the day is just not comparable, pickup and play on the deck is unbelievable though

Permabanned
Been playing Devil May Cry 5 on the deck, runs like a dream :) I can't believe I skipped 5, I loved the whole series, to be honest, I didn't skip it on purpose, I just totally forgot about it haha. It's brilliant.

Last edited:
Soldato
currently trying to get fallguys to run on my deck.

very clear guide here however some of my settings seem different

also @5min 7 seconds... i cannot get that select exe box to open, it does nothing.... am so close to getting it set up!.

Permabanned
currently trying to get fallguys to run on my deck.

very clear guide here however some of my settings seem different

also @5min 7 seconds... i cannot get that select exe box to open, it does nothing.... am so close to getting it set up!.
I remember that game being a bloody nuisance to get running on SteamOS. Since I installed Windows it's been great :D I played the game for about 5 mins and deleted it though haha. There is Tiny11 out now by the way, I am using a debloated Win 10 but tempted to try this:

Soldato
I remember that game being a bloody nuisance to get running on SteamOS. Since I installed Windows it's been great :D I played the game for about 5 mins and deleted it though haha. There is Tiny11 out now by the way, I am using a debloated Win 10 but tempted to try this:

Custom Windows installation from some random, no ta :cry: You'd have no idea what is lurking in that build :eek:

Permabanned
Custom Windows installation from some random, no ta :cry: You'd have no idea what is lurking in that build :eek:
He's not random though, the guy who does Tiny has been around for donkeys with a good rep. There is also these guys: https://www.revi.cc/ been using Rev for a while, without issues. Yes I'm aware of the risks but so far so good lol...

Last edited:
Soldato

thanks for the info. some faffing and using some creative thinking around changes to the software since the vid was made.... I got it working. had a quick game to test and made it to final so it plays ok (had to put into game mode after setting up. in desktop mode the left stick did not work in game)

this game really shows the limitations of the steamdeck image quality compared to my lads oled switch.
it's odd. the 2 consoles have the same screen size but as well as looking washed out compared to the oled screen of the switch, it looks smaller as well. perhaps the fov is bigger on the pc version of the game (not checked)

Permabanned
thanks for the info. some faffing and using some creative thinking around changes to the software since the vid was made.... I got it working. had a quick game to test and made it to final so it plays ok (had to put into game mode after setting up. in desktop mode the left stick did not work in game)

this game really shows the limitations of the steamdeck image quality compared to my lads oled switch.
it's odd. the 2 consoles have the same screen size but as well as looking washed out compared to the oled screen of the switch, it looks smaller as well. perhaps the fov is bigger on the pc version of the game (not checked)

You can make the deck screen more vibrant, I can't remember what it's called in SteamOS but in Windows you can use the AMD Software to do it, mine punches with colour now, also Steam Deck Tools on Windows you can do it in game too.

Associate
I wondered if that was possible but hadn't got round to looking. will get on that thanks.

Easy to install, go to this page on the deck in desktop mode and click on the big download button.

Once installed it will allow you to play about with plugins from the SteamOS UI, really cool plugins to use. For vibrancy there is a plugin called VibrantDeck

Associate
Steam Deck gameplay, GPU usage not bad, can definitely tweak it without harming framerate.

He's posted another one where he dives into the settings and talks over it: https://www.youtube.com/live/W28x8u_SWvw?feature=share

Just watching it now, and it seems that performance is decent, I will be locking at 30pfs once I get it, still torn between pc and ps5 versions, as it does look like it's jumping from mid 40s to 30s on the deck, so it's a bit jarring for me personally.

Permabanned
He's posted another one where he dives into the settings and talks over it: https://www.youtube.com/live/W28x8u_SWvw?feature=share

Just watching it now, and it seems that performance is decent, I will be locking at 30pfs once I get it, still torn between pc and ps5 versions, as it does look like it's jumping from mid 40s to 30s on the deck, so it's a bit jarring for me personally.
I'm happy with that performance. Still happy as a pig in **** with this bloody device. Lovely bit of kit :)

Back
Top Bottom