*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Soldato
Might have been asked here so apologies but I'm looking to get a larger SD Micro SD card. Anyone had a sweet spot for a brand / make to go for?

I was thinking I needing to upgrade my internal SSD but for the price of 512GB or even 1TB its ridiculous for those 2230 nvme cards. Do you with large storage really play all your games or have a rotation of them? I installed Anno 1800 and it takes 90gb!

Associate
I'm happy with that performance. Still happy as a pig in **** with this bloody device. Lovely bit of kit :)
There's supposed to be a day one patch and valve are doing something specific for hogwarts as well, so i'm deffo leaning towards the deck. Got so many games on the go at the moment, so I'll wait a little while before I get it, hopefully cyrobytes will do another deep dive on this and supply the optimum settings

Associate
Might have been asked here so apologies but I'm looking to get a larger SD Micro SD card. Anyone had a sweet spot for a brand / make to go for?

I was thinking I needing to upgrade my internal SSD but for the price of 512GB or even 1TB its ridiculous for those 2230 nvme cards. Do you with large storage really play all your games or have a rotation of them? I installed Anno 1800 and it takes 90gb!
I got this back in November for £37.99 during the sales: Samsung EVO Select 512GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 130MB/s Full HD & 4K UHD Memory Card

Works well for me, as I only put specific games I want to play on there, could have gone for the 1tb so I could have more options, but it forces me to play what I've downloaded, I'm guilty of switching too much and just abandoning games.

Permabanned
There's supposed to be a day one patch and valve are doing something specific for hogwarts as well, so i'm deffo leaning towards the deck. Got so many games on the go at the moment, so I'll wait a little while before I get it, hopefully cyrobytes will do another deep dive on this and supply the optimum settings
I am strictly Windows on the deck anyway.

Soldato
I got this back in November for £37.99 during the sales: Samsung EVO Select 512GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 130MB/s Full HD & 4K UHD Memory Card

Works well for me, as I only put specific games I want to play on there, could have gone for the 1tb so I could have more options, but it forces me to play what I've downloaded, I'm guilty of switching too much and just abandoning games.
I'll keep an eye on this one as I've been this get cropped up on chat. Was the reason because of price at the time or was it from research from Benchmarks you found from other steam deck user?

Soldato
Easy to install, go to this page on the deck in desktop mode and click on the big download button.

Once installed it will allow you to play about with plugins from the SteamOS UI, really cool plugins to use. For vibrancy there is a plugin called VibrantDeck
thanks for this. I have installed.vibranddeck. it's still no switch screen but it's definitely improved the image with output set to 135 and I have lowered brightness a touch.

Last edited:
Permabanned

Soldato
I like the steamdeck and for me it's the better console. it sure has more grunt. however the switch is superior in other ways. both have their use cases for different people

(it's sturdier, it's smaller more portable (and yet it's screen bigger - more usable aspect ratio) it's controllers are detachable which is clever, it's.much cheaper and the dock is included for free...... I love the motion controls as well which makes some games more enjoyable and others simply not possible on the deck.......

but the big one is the image quality which is significantly improved with the oled switch Vs the deck.
so for me the steamdeck is the better console (mainly because I don't have to buy games for it as I have a massive library already). for most people however I would reccomend the switch.

it's a good 1st effort from valve but plenty of room for improvement on deck 2

Soldato
I like the steamdeck and for me it's the better console. it sure has more grunt. however the switch is superior in other ways. both have their use cases for different people

(it's sturdier, it's smaller more portable (and yet it's screen bigger - more usable aspect ratio) it's controllers are detachable which is clever, it's.much cheaper and the dock is included for free...... I love the motion controls as well which makes some games more enjoyable and others simply not possible on the deck.......

but the big one is the image quality which is significantly improved with the oled switch Vs the deck.
so for me the steamdeck is the better console (mainly because I don't have to buy games for it as I have a massive library already). for most people however I would reccomend the switch.

it's a good 1st effort from valve but plenty of room for improvement on deck 2
That is a great post, mirroring my impressions after my first week.

Soldato
It’s all down to what kind of games you want to play really. I don’t look at the Deck as a competitor to the Switch because although they’re both handheld game systems that you can hook up to a TV, there isn’t a significant overlap with the games that both can play.

There’s definitely positives and negatives to both but for me, I do have a Switch too but I wanted to be able to play games that I can’t play on the Switch while I’m out and about. Both have their place :)

Permabanned
With RyuJinx and Yuzu, I see no reason to buy a Switch now. Sure, you miss out online gaming, to some extent (LDN build for RyuJinx has mp) but I'm not a massive fan of Nintendo games anyway, the only one that slightly interests me is the new Zelda, *** NO EMULATION TALK ***

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I spent a lot of time playing the Witcher 3 between the PC and Switch. I know PC gamers turn their noses up at it, but for me it's a magnificent achievement that they crammed it into the Switch at all.

Can't wait for the new Zelda. I'm holding off completing BOTW until closer to release.

Soldato
I really wish they'd put an oled screen in the deck from the get go. It's the one thing that lets it down for me. Saw some rumours that the next v2 Deck will have the same guts / specs but an oled screen and better battery.
If so, I wonder if the oled screen will be able to be purchased separately like you can now from ifixit https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Steam+Deck+Screen+Replacement/148986 and you could do a DIY upgrade?

Last edited:
Soldato
Also, since when is there no emulation talk allowed - at all - on here? Why is it getting so draconian and censorious? Some 'mod' has presumably dumped one of my earlier posts down the Orwellian memory hole without any notification - not good. One of the biggest reasons many get the deck is because it's an emulation powerhouse. You chaps need to get real, or do you all have blue hair now?

Last edited:
Associate

I got SanDisk Ultra 512GB microSDXC Memory Card 120 MB/s, Class 10, in October on a lightning deal for £32.99 seems to work well.

Permabanned
I really wish they'd put an oled screen in the deck from the get go. It's the one thing that lets it down for me. Saw some rumours that the next v2 Deck will have the same guts / specs but an oled screen and better battery.
If so, I wonder if the oled screen will be able to be purchased separately like you can now from ifixit https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Steam+Deck+Screen+Replacement/148986 and you could do a DIY upgrade?

One of the great things about the Steam Deck is that it's cheap, chucking an OLED in will bring the prices up, many have said that it's doubtful the next one will haven OLED.

Also, since when is there no emulation talk allowed - at all - on here? Why is it getting so draconian and censorious? Some 'mod' has presumably completely removed one of my earlier posts without any notification. One of the biggest reasons many get the deck is because it's an emulation powerhouse. You chaps need to get real, or do you all have blue hair now?

I wondered this too, emulation is completely legal. I spoke to Maccy via PM and it does in the rules that any talk about is prohibited, it's a very grey area so a blanket ban on its talk is the best way. There are other places to talk about it which is completely fine, as it should be imo.

Last edited:
Commissario
Also, since when is there no emulation talk allowed - at all - on here? Why is it getting so draconian and censorious? Some 'mod' has presumably dumped one of my earlier posts down the Orwellian memory hole without any notification - not good. One of the biggest reasons many get the deck is because it's an emulation powerhouse. You chaps need to get real, or do you all have blue hair now?
Cut the attitude, it's covered in our rules.

Back
Top Bottom