*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

I got SanDisk Ultra 512GB microSDXC Memory Card 120 MB/s, Class 10, in October on a lightning deal for £32.99 seems to work well.
If i was storing loads of emulation I think they work well as there is no noticeable difference, when I put triple AAA titled games then I think there are a few seconds delay in loading. The Sandisk Extreme might be the better speed performance but they are not cheap.

So I’ve nearly finished messing around with anything apart from the games on the deck, and now i think im ready to play some games, what are the must changed settings i need to change via the performance tab before i boot up any game.

my default settings are:
performance overlay level: 1
framerate Limit: 60
refresh rate: 60
allow tearing: off
half rate shading: off
thermal power (TDP) limit: off
manual GPU clock control: off
show perf overlay in steam: off

And when playing emulation what other settings should always be done and left alone ?

I’ve hooked up an arcade stick (digital stick with right buttons) to my SteamDeck. The joystick works fine as does one of the buttons. Where can I configure the joystick to correctly use all the buttons? Do I need to download an app?

I bought one of these from CEX last week (I know more than I'd pay form Valve direct, but traded in a load of stuff and got more from the vouchers than I was going to get selling for cash) got the 256 in new condition and have added an Integral 512 MicroSD Ultimate Pro which seems to work well. So far really happy with it and considering ditching my desktop and just using Steam Deck when at home.

I've got a few games to play, setting up GOG, Epic and the like and bought Vampire Survivors which i've played loads, really enjoying it and looking at Raiden IV x Mikado remix as love those sorts of games.

So I’ve nearly finished messing around with anything apart from the games on the deck, and now i think im ready to play some games, what are the must changed settings i need to change via the performance tab before i boot up any game.

my default settings are:
performance overlay level: 1
framerate Limit: 60
refresh rate: 60

allow tearing: off
half rate shading: off
thermal power (TDP) limit: off
manual GPU clock control: off

show perf overlay in steam: off

And when playing emulation what other settings should always be done and left alone ?

Just highlighted 4 settings that you will want to alter game to game.

Framerate limit and Refresh rate should be matching so if you find you can only hit 40FPS consistently set both to 40 (this is the 40/40 setting you may have read about online). As an example Destiny 2 (via Windows not Steam OS) feels way better when locked to 40FPS and refresh locked to 40. Same goes for CyberPunk albeit 30/30 and Control 40/40.

TDP Limit can be reduced if you can still hit you desired FPS cap at a lower TDP thus prolonging the battery life. Can also be combined with the above to further prolong battery life (even if 60FPS is possible).

GPU clock control is one that you may find helps in a game when CPU bound rather than GPU bound. As you only have 15w of TDP available to both the CPU and GPU it can help to reduce power on the GPU side to give the CPU a little more room to breath. I found this to be the case in CyberPunk which hammers the CPU. Dropping the GPU clock to ~1400Mhz (IIRC) actually improved FPS a little and Frametimes (far more important) a lot.

Just highlighted 4 settings that you will want to alter game to game.

Framerate limit and Refresh rate should be matching so if you find you can only hit 40FPS consistently set both to 40 (this is the 40/40 setting you may have read about online). As an example Destiny 2 (via Windows not Steam OS) feels way better when locked to 40FPS and refresh locked to 40. Same goes for CyberPunk albeit 30/30 and Control 40/40.

TDP Limit can be reduced if you can still hit you desired FPS cap at a lower TDP thus prolonging the battery life. Can also be combined with the above to further prolong battery life (even if 60FPS is possible).

GPU clock control is one that you may find helps in a game when CPU bound rather than GPU bound. As you only have 15w of TDP available to both the CPU and GPU it can help to reduce power on the GPU side to give the CPU a little more room to breath. I found this to be the case in CyberPunk which hammers the CPU. Dropping the GPU clock to ~1400Mhz (IIRC) actually improved FPS a little and Frametimes (far more important) a lot.
Thankyou for your suggestions, sounds like this is like messing around with the graphic settings on a gaming pc, of which I just pressed geoforce recommended settings.

I bought one of these from CEX last week (I know more than I'd pay form Valve direct, but traded in a load of stuff and got more from the vouchers than I was going to get selling for cash) got the 256 in new condition and have added an Integral 512 MicroSD Ultimate Pro which seems to work well. So far really happy with it and considering ditching my desktop and just using Steam Deck when at home.

I've got a few games to play, setting up GOG, Epic and the like and bought Vampire Survivors which i've played loads, really enjoying it and looking at Raiden IV x Mikado remix as love those sorts of games.
You running in its native SteamOS? If so when youve launched the game push the steam button on the left hand side and then there is an option to customise the control layout.

Just had a Steam Deck delivered but had no time to tinker with it yet.

My PC game library is split across EA, Ubisoft, Epic, etc as well as Steam itself. What's the best way of getting those launchers on the deck?

I have a 512gb SD card on the way too.

Cheers :)

the controller emulation seems broken, many games don't see my controllers:
Ok so they fixed it now with the update I got today when I restarted my Steam, controller emulation works fine now in NFS for example. And I can edit the controller profiles again. Also emulating the 360 controller with the ps5 controller works again.
Still boggles the mind how they force updates that break something that wasn't broken.
Slowly getting used to the new Big picture, 1 otehr bug bugs me, often it won't start big picture properly from steam link but instead show my desktop or active desktop window, with my mouse locked to that window (as if it's a borderless game ) :(.
But at least for that there's a workaround (alt-tab or task manager).

I guess this is the wrong topic for this, but I didn't see a general steam thread.
As for the Steamdeck, I was tempted too but I game to little to justify it!

Last edited:
Been playing DIRT 5 on Deck. Runs great at 40fps on "automatic" setting and looks great - it still feels kinda surreal to be playing a nextgen looking game like that on a handheld.

Just started Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade on the Deck, I'm amazed at how well it looks and runs to be honest. Although it's a crap port since you can't run it less than native res lol.

Just finished Tales of Symphonia, a whole 50 hours worth

Just had a Steam Deck delivered but had no time to tinker with it yet.

My PC game library is split across EA, Ubisoft, Epic, etc as well as Steam itself. What's the best way of getting those launchers on the deck?

I have a 512gb SD card on the way too.

Cheers :)
Heroic Games Launcher is good for GOG and Epic. I've used this and it works great for both. Change to desktop mode and install from the discover store.
I've not used EA or Ubisoft but found a reddit post that will hopefully help. I imagine you use the same steps for both Origin and Ubisift.

Last edited:
Finally found the sweet spot for me with Skyrim: SE on the Deck. Native Res with Med/High mix generally saw 60FPS but with drops into the low 50's. The frametime graph didn't reflect it but it felt noticeable whenever it dropped. My normal approach of 40/40 for these scenarios also didn't feel great. Now settled on 50/50 which feels basically the same as 60FPS capped but without the drops.

Need to test the game out under Windows as well to see if its any different there.

On the Windows side of things has anyone encountered an odd issue with Gamepass games (either local or via cloud) working as if running on a controller (good) but still having a mouse cursor appear on the screen? Effectively movement was fine in the game but looking around enough would trigger the task bar to appear or the general window buttons to appear (close / minimse etc). I am using the Steam Deck Tools Controller tool with Lizard mode disabled (or enabled, whichever one turns off the second input) but messing around with any of these settings didn't seem to change anything.

Also when playing via Gamepass cloud streaming I would get constant drops in Windows but no such drops in SteamOS (via EDGE/Gamepass addition). I assume this is wifi driver related but haven't looked more into it. Note our connection is 900/900 so more than enough for a decent experience.

Any help with this:
https://flic.kr/p/2ohj8yR

i already have steamOS on boot and now today i booted the deck up fine but screen just froze when trying to play a game, so i turned the power off as i could not do anything with deck and upon booting up im getting the message i have linked to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom