*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Associate
^ The Steam Deck is still the only handheld that can be recommended without major issue - plus the OLED model addresses one of its glaring weaknesses.

The Ally has really come on, and does get picked up when you want that 'best performance' with certain demanding games, and once you've maneuvered around Windows and have it the way you want, it's a fine handheld. Low TDP performance has come on bundles as well. Quietest of the three, absolutely beautiful screen etc...All that said, it's hard to recommend without qualification due to the SD Card design flaw (whether you use it or not is immaterial). Next revision may be something special, but that battery needs work.

The Legion Go is an absolute pig though so far. Feels somewhat cheap next to the others despite the hardware specs. Software is a disgrace, even allowing for it to be just out of the gate. Lenovo have a huge amount of work to do to turn it around. Desperately needs optimisation of the power profiles, fan noise is through the roof and needs to be managed. Just not a nice experience to use up to now.

Last edited:
Associate
IIRC it was 5 days from shipping to my hand with the OG Steamdeck.

Was looking at the tracking info for my pre-order SD, that one left NL at 11:08pm on the 15th and arrived 10:30am on the 17th, pretty quick and the courier on that one was UPS. Parcelforce for the OLED one so hopefully it arrives before Friday.

Soldato
Anyone know how to install Directx9.0c on top of a game inside of Lutris?

I've installed 'Juiced' a racing game that I used to love but it need direct x 9.0c. When I check the Wine configuration it shows multiple d3dx9_24-d3dx9_43 are present but running the game still shows its no installed.
I even installed it manually in Wine Control panel. It appears to install but then after reboot doesnt appear in there.

Soldato
A photo of the entire staff at the Netherlands Valve distribution warehouse:

iqIcVv1_d.webp

Mine still hasn't been handed over to GLS yet. Not sure if it's the excitement of owning a SD for the first time or all you guys hyping.. Probably both!

Associate
A photo of the entire staff at the Netherlands Valve distribution warehouse:

iqIcVv1_d.webp

Mine still hasn't been handed over to GLS yet. Not sure if it's the excitement of owning a SD for the first time or all you guys hyping.. Probably both!
Ah that’s why it’s going so slow, just that one poor guy!

Someone buy him some more Red bull! :cry:

Soldato
Pretty much every game I've checked that I thought would be cool apparently runs like ass or is a ballache to set up.
Beginning to think this really might just be for 2d indie pixel art games. Ah well.

Last edited:
Associate
Pretty much every game I've checked that I thought would be cool apparently runs like ass or is a ballache to set up.
Beginning to think this really might just be for 2d indie pixel art games. Ah well.
Which games are they?

Forcing FSR on should get pretty much any game working well on Deck.

Soldato
Which games are they?

Forcing FSR on should get pretty much any game working well on Deck.

Valheim, Deus Ex, Satisfactory, VTMB. A lot are because of the games design with small text etc so not really the Decks fault.
I feel I will probably curate games that I will only want to play on deck and make sure as much I can they work before.
Kind of renders a 2TB had pointless come to think of it if they'll be so few and far between.
Not seen anything that suggests forcing fsr on is a simple fix for games. Struggling to find decent sources as a lot are just generic lists of games that work on deck with little consideration for performance.

Dont get me wrong, not comparing to my desktop but still. I'm a bit puzzled as to what I think I'll actually be playing on it that won't be PITA lol.

Soldato
Valheim, Deus Ex, Satisfactory, VTMB. A lot are because of the games design with small text etc so not really the Decks fault.
I feel I will probably curate games that I will only want to play on deck and make sure as much I can they work before.
Kind of renders a 2TB had pointless come to think of it if they'll be so few and far between.
Not seen anything that suggests forcing fsr on is a simple fix for games. Struggling to find decent sources as a lot are just generic lists of games that work on deck with little consideration for performance.

Dont get me wrong, not comparing to my desktop but still. I'm a bit puzzled as to what I think I'll actually be playing on it that won't be PITA lol.
Small text thing is often listed but it’s absolutely irrelevant 9/10 times. Many games run fine. Proton db is a much better source for “real” user reviews of games for deck etc.

Soldato
Small text thing is often listed but it’s absolutely irrelevant 9/10 times. Many games run fine. Proton db is a much better source for “real” user reviews of games for deck etc.

Yeah but there clearly a lot of 'copium' going on with people describing a game as "runs fine for me" with others saying dropping into the teens on fps.
Not like there are variations in the hardware beyond SSD choice really so I'm having to take most of it with a pinch of salt.
On a plus, seems Oblivion runs ok, which you'd kind of hope considering its age but then it's a Bethesda game.
I'll get to make my own mind up soon what is Playable or not I guess. Nothing lost by trying it and I have very low expectations for it so hopefully pleasantly surprised!

Last edited:
Associate

Forcing FSR is easy, just turn it on in the 3 dot button menu, then reduce the game’s fps limit below 60. The in game overlay will say if FSR is active.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah but there clearly a lot of 'copium' going on with people describing a game as "runs fine for me" with others saying dropping into the teens on fps.
Not like there are variations in the hardware beyond SSD choice really so I'm having to take most of it with a pinch of salt.
On a plus, seems Oblivion runs ok, which you'd kind of hope considering its age but then it's a Bethesda game.
I'll get to make my own mind up soon what is Playable or not I guess. Nothing lost by trying it and I have very low expectations for it so hopefully pleasantly surprised!
Basically my findings are that I play games on it that I usually wouldn’t play on PC

E.g tower defence games
Hot wheels unleashed
etc. the sorta stuff I don’t sit down at pc for if that makes sense. And I’ve had no games that genuinely run bad. Some dips here and there in some cases but nothing really enough to bother me. I guess you gotta try it and see how it is from your pov.

Soldato
I find the sweet spot is approx 10 years old games. For instance I've been playing the original Alan Wake recently and it looks and plays amazingly well on the deck. Same with Fallout 3, Dead Space and Batman Arkham Asylum.

Of course more recent games like RDR2, God Of War and Uncharted 4 also run great, but some of the very latest games like Starfield don't.

With a huge Steam library I'm not short of things to play. About 1/3 are verified and another third will run well with minor issues or tweaks.

Back
Top Bottom