*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Damn you lot! Having all the fun and poor old me stuck waiting for valve to drop some recertified ones or someone to sell me one on members market at a sane price.

A 1tb one went for a good price yesterday. I would have made that offer, but was worried I would upset the user. Some are happy with offers, others seem to get offended :cry:

Soldato
Damn you lot! Having all the fun and poor old me stuck waiting for valve to drop some recertified ones or someone to sell me one on members market at a sane price.

A 1tb one went for a good price yesterday. I would have made that offer, but was worried I would upset the user. Some are happy with offers, others seem to get offended :cry:

Nothing wrong with offers but sensible ones. Not an OCUK one like:

Item for sale £100 (actually priced sensibly)

Weasely OCUK Buyer: Hi mate, I don't really want this so throwing in a cheeky offer of £10.

Anyone who uses "cheeky offer" should be instantly banned..

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice video comparing screens on the glossy and matt OLED, little to no difference in normal lighting. Plus most back shell replacements work great, I have the Jsaux one with the fan cut out but not the LED one so it should be a straight swap :)

Interesting little nugget in that video regarding the new OLED screens being supplied by two different manufacturers, one being Samsung and the other being some supplier I've never heard of, with there seemingly no way to know which you would get before its in your hands. Hopefully the two manufacturers is entirely non relevant to the ultimate performance/quality, but I have to be honest in that I regard these kind of multiple suppliers for a very critical component with a degree of instinctive suspicion. I remember this happening in PC monitors a few times, with being able to say "Samsung panel" was a selling point 2nd hand for example. I guess time will tell once both screens are out there, I imagine it will probably be insignificant in real terms, but it kind of made me think, should I go ahead and get one now to try and get the Samsung screen, if those are going to dominate the early sales? Something to keep an eye on anyway.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nothing wrong with offers but sensible ones. Not an OCUK one like:

Item for sale £100 (actually priced sensibly)

Weasely OCUK Buyer: Hi mate, I don't really want this so throwing in a cheeky offer of £10.

My thought with the offer is I will offer a little less than vavle recertified ones as those come with warranty. Or at least a 25% discount from what valve are selling new ones. But guys want to sell theirs for almost full brand new priced one, never mind recertified :cry:

If I knew I would get a lot of use out of it I would have a OLED one coming today. However I just want it for the odd occasion and you know, just having one.

Depending on how my gaming time goes, I may even consider not bothering to upgrade my pc going forward and just get a Steam Deck 2 when it comes out.

Associate
Interesting little nugget in that video regarding the new OLED screens being supplied by two different manufacturers, one being Samsung and the other being some supplier I've never heard of, with there seemingly no way to know which you would get before its in your hands. Hopefully the two manufacturers is entirely non relevant to the ultimate performance/quality, but I have to be honest in that I regard these kind of multiple suppliers for a very critical component with a degree of instinctive suspicion. I remember this happening in PC monitors a few times, with being able to say "Samsung panel" was a selling point 2nd hand for example. I guess time will tell once both screens are out there, I imagine it will probably be insignificant in real terms, but it kind of made me think, should I go ahead and get one now to try and get the Samsung screen, if those are going to dominate the early sales? Something to keep an eye on anyway.
I saw that, hopefully all us early guys are getting Samsung panels.

Something I haven’t heard about yet, is the OLED still a native portrait screen, does anyone know?

Last edited:
Soldato
My thought with the offer is I will offer a little less than vavle recertified ones as those come with warranty. Or at least a 25% discount from what valve are selling new ones. But guys want to sell theirs for almost full brand new priced one, never mind recertified :cry:

If I knew I would get a lot of use out of it I would have a OLED one coming today. However I just want it for the odd occasion and you know, just having one.

Depending on how my gaming time goes, I may even consider not bothering to upgrade my pc going forward and just get a Steam Deck 2 when it comes out.

How long you think you'll be waiting for the SD2? I'm hoping for at least 2 years out of my OLED before a new shiny one comes along that I will immediately pre-order :D

Associate
How long you think you'll be waiting for the SD2? I'm hoping for at least 2 years out of my OLED before a new shiny one comes along that I will immediately pre-order :D
It will be at least two years, valve have said they won’t make a steam deck 2 until there’s a chip that has a significant performance increase at the same TDP, which is a long way off.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

My guess is some time in 2025. Probably exactly 2 years from now if I had to place a bet.

Going to be exciting when happens as that will be a must have. Just hope valve keep pricing in mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw that, hopefully all us early guys are getting Samsung panels.

Something I haven’t heard about yet, is the OLED still a native portrait screen, does anyone know?

There is a test you can do described in the video once you have your new deck, so I hope some of you guys can check what panels you get and maybe see if the split isn't along country/region lines, cos again being honest that sort of regional lottery would annoy me, unless it turns out it is an absolute non-issue quality-wise, hopefully it will be.

edit: To be honest, this split in panel suppliers is more worrying to me for the long term burn-in performance more than anything else, as I imagine that is one unpredictable difference that may show up after hours and hours of use if one is a "cheaper" panel. Its made me think about it at least. I remember what happened with my old Samsung S2 and Nexus 10 :shudders:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I imagine there is absolutely no real world difference in the panels beyond A/B comparisons. I’m sure that internal components in electronics change all the time.

So I wouldn’t be too worried.

From that video, it does look like the etched glass version was the one to go for, if only for the nicer case.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I imagine there is absolutely no real world difference in the panels beyond A/B comparisons. I’m sure that internal components in electronics change all the time.

So I wouldn’t be too worried.

From that video, it does look like the etched glass version was the one to go for, if only for the nicer case.

You plan on installing some resi games on it once it arrives? :D

Associate
darren is due betweem 11.51 and 12.51 i can see where he is on the live map he's going at a snail pace i suspect he won't make this scheduled time hmmm

the problem we have with parcel force and royal mail in general in this area is if its late and they are behind they just don't deliver certain packages you only know they aren't coming when live tracking disappears

Soldato
I just stumbled across that deal myself.... couldnt resist... Who wants to go to the trouble of unintalling a game?! haha

Yeah I didn't understand that tax was added but I was pretty much getting laughed at on here for saying it was £86 on BF.
Fell within £8 so clearly wasn't that farfetched lol.

Associate
My 1TB OLED arrived earlier, but looks like it's got a strange manufacture defect on the left thumb stick. It's oddly dirty looking, doesn't feel grippy like the right thumb stick, and can't be cleaned to make it feel like the right thumb stick either.

I've sent a ticket to support but likely RMA. Bit of a shame but oh well, got the old SD to use still.

I did also have WiFi issues which seems to be a driver issue. Apparantly factory restore then avoid 5Ghz band as that can basically brick the WiFi chip until another factory restore. Hopefully valve fixes this soon.

Back
Top Bottom