*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

just started really using my xbox one this last week or when the pc was out of action, anyways does anyone leave there xbox one on permanantly while watching the tv etc. im a bit wary about leaving it on all the time after all the problems with the initial releases of the 360 ( i went through 9 in the 1st 14 months ).

also does the onguide etc work with the virgin tivo boxes?

Is that a regular update for everyone? I couldn't see TV listings when I tried last week.

Should be available to everyone now. You have to set it up in the One Guide settings, tell the XO to pick up the Sky UK listings.

It's still not a great way to watch Sky IMO, but I guess if you are limited by HDMI sockets or are massively into the idea of snapping TV to another app, it's OK.

I only tried it for 10 minutes or so out of curiosity, but it worked together well enough considering.

ours arrived today just updating and have connected to sky, although i do have one slot free on the tv. Initials impression okay so far, but think i prefer the 360 controller am hoping to find some demos in store :)

has anyone got any tv mounts for kinect eg: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kinect-TV...s_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item25898908bf

Was wondering if it would fit on my super slim tv...

I haven't got that one, but the PDP licensed mount (the one with the privacy cover) is pretty much perfect on my Sony W705.

The mount is a couple of mm thicker than the bezel of the TV, but doesn't block out any of the viewable picture, just a bit of the black border on the panel.

Not good news for those hoping for a bit more 'kinect focus' from devs, can see it pretty much just being ignored if consoles are shipped without.

From my point of view I don't find that particularly a bad thing.

£349 is hardly a bargain either, considering you can get the Titanfall bundle, with Kinect for that price. Although I appreciate that's RRP so actual resellers will likely be considerably cheaper, £300 perhaps.

More importantly looks like the One is getting games for gold at last :)

From Major Nelson:

We’re pleased to bring Games with Gold to Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox One in June. Members will have subscription-based access to free games ranging from top hits to breaking indie stars. The program will launch on Xbox One with “Max: The Curse of Brotherhood” and “Halo: Spartan Assault.” A single Gold membership will get you access to the free games for both Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Last edited:
Not good news for those hoping for a bit more 'kinect focus' from devs, can see it pretty much just being ignored if consoles are shipped without.

From my point of view I don't find that particularly a bad thing.

£349 is hardly a bargain either, considering you can get the Titanfall bundle, with Kinect for that price. Although I appreciate that's RRP so actual resellers will likely be considerably cheaper, £300 perhaps.

Yeah was thinking this will be £300 in no time also.. my connect is gathering dust :p

It's a bit of a shame as XB1 loses something that made it unique although to be fair it has never seemed to get used to live up to the potential. My concern would be now XB1 turns into a console almost identical to PS4 except less powerful, why would you buy XB1 unless of course the exclusives suit you better.

I read somewhere that MS have also removed the requirements for Live Gold in order to get Netflix etc which is a long overdue good move I think.

For me the original vision of the XB1 with pure digital, friends and family sharing, TV & set top box control, media hub and integration into things like NFL in the US (holding out the hope for Formula One, World Cup etc but it doesn't seem to be happening) was a real attempt at a next generation console (although of course whoever specified the memory and GPU needs to be fired, re employed and then fired again).

I still hold out hope for MS to do something to surprise us but as it is they've back tracked so far XB1 is now just a less powerful PS4 at the same price :( I can only hope that as MS seem to be open to accepting feedback from gamers and customers they give XB1 a revised GPU boost to something more powerful than even the current generation PS4. Yes it'll annoy early adopters but coupled with the reduced price (and lets face it, the XB1 case has the space and airflow to cope with a much higher spec GPU) it could be the shot in the arm XB1 needs to save the brand as the "gamers choice" as that's what they now seem to have reverted to for XB1. If a console lifespan is expected to be 7 years it's still early enough to say "we screwed up, heard the feedback and here's XB1.5".

Failing that I struggle to see how XB1 will remain competitive as a console over the next 5 years now...

With Balmer gone and a new CEO MS seem to be open to change. It makes sense then that they may choose to bite the bullet, accept XB1 is under powered when you take away it's unique strengths (which with the tacit admission Kinect is dead they have) and release a more powerful revision sooner rather than later in particular with 5 - 7 years ahead of it. For all the success of PS4 Sony are losing money hand over fist and so would be unlikely to be able to respond with a revised PS4 any time soon.

Wishful thinking? Maybe. Or MS may just decide to sell off the Xbox division. Perhaps MS & Nintendo do a deal, MS Xbox One hardware coupled with Nintendo software, games and IP? I really can't see MS being happy to accept they have a product being trounced by the only opposition for the next 5 years and do nothing about it one way or the other.

Either way I hope Xbox get's sorted and succeeds, losing it as a ecosystem in competition with Playstation would be bad for all console gamers.

Xbox is not being "trounced" on its own standard its selling fine, I feel more and more this move is to get it into more territories faster.

The only division in trouble here is most of Sony right now, they can sell as many as they want right now, but we haven't woven started and Sony has nothing to play with right now, they are even losing money on BluRay as it never paid off.

Perhaps trounced was phrasing it a little strongly but with Kinect removed XB1 runs the danger of being a lower performing gaming console at the same price as PS4 without the "next gen".

I just can't see MS accepting they've lost the console battle for gamers this early in the lifecycle of the consoles. The either need to reintroduce a bunch of next gen features that stretch the genre (which now seems unlikely as console gamers have universally rejected change which is a real shame), reduce the cost to say 25% lower than PS4 but then tacit admit its the less capable console, or give it a early Xbox One Slim type update with a substantial more powerful GPU than PS4 as a "we've fired the idiots who broke the Xbox brand and are going back to out gamers roots as well as embracing families" move. The last option annoys early adopters and leaves egg on face but lets face it, they've done that already. Yes it'll cost money but Sony are unlikely to be able to afford to be able to respond and we're early enough in the consoles life to make it worth doing. Sure they'd take a hit and have to offer either an attractive trade in or bunch of free games as compensation to existing owners as a one off but on the scale of things MS can afford to in the spirit of "putting things right" and win a bunch of credit for responding to customers. Done right XB1 could have dominated this generation and still could. PS4 is selling better but the lack of games is telling (for both consoles), XB1 still has a slim window of opportunity to win people around and become the defacto console fo choice this gen but with all the advanced features gone it's going to come down to either price or power.

Either than or stop screwing around with it, sell the gaming division to Nintendo and market XBox One as a mid range casual friendly device for the living room and families with Mario Kart 7.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom