*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

Fair enough, I think this thread is probably a good place to discuss the future of Xbox, a little bit of speculation doesn't hurt and you seem to be getting awful defensive. I'm not writing XB1 off, as I said I pre ordered for day one and have no intention of swapping. I'm just interested in how MS may plan to win back customers given the Kinect announcement pretty clearly signals they accept they're not in the place they want to be at the moment in terms of sales and I would suspect that will only get worse as "XBox fans" now have one so winning over agnostic, casual or PS4 console gamers will be a tougher proposition.

XB1 is a fine console with fun games, but, I suspect it's unlikely MS are happy with how it's faring against PS4 at the moment (hence the changes).

We thought they'd never make Kinect optional, nor drop the requirement for live gold sub for apps. Will MS make any further more strategic changes rather than these tactical ones is worth of sensible grown up debate I would suggest. It doesn't have to be a "OMG yo dissed mah Xbox LOL!" argument, more a "what next" civilised conversation amongst XB1 owners.

Please feel free to not "trash up" the thread though :)

id me more than happy if they decided to go a full digital route, with new games priced accordingly. £40-£50 for a new disc based game but £25-£30 for digital download. that would do me fine.

does iy have a single player campaign as well. my GT is shottsloyalists. i added you the other day off the ocuk GT thread. pretty sure u musta mentioned a game you were looking to play.

Cool I'll make sure to add you.

Unfortunately no single player so personally I'd avoid if you're not a big multiplayer fan.

Fair enough, I think this thread is probably a good place to discuss the future of Xbox, a little bit of speculation doesn't hurt and you seem to be getting awful defensive. I'm not writing XB1 off, as I said I pre ordered for day one and have no intention of swapping. I'm just interested in how MS may plan to win back customers given the Kinect announcement pretty clearly signals they accept they're not in the place they want to be at the moment in terms of sales and I would suspect that will only get worse as "XBox fans" now have one so winning over agnostic, casual or PS4 console gamers will be a tougher proposition.

XB1 is a fine console with fun games, but, I suspect it's unlikely MS are happy with how it's faring against PS4 at the moment (hence the changes).

We thought they'd never make Kinect optional, nor drop the requirement for live gold sub for apps. Will MS make any further more strategic changes rather than these tactical ones is worth of sensible grown up debate I would suggest. It doesn't have to be a "OMG yo dissed mah Xbox LOL!" argument, more a "what next" civilised conversation amongst XB1 owners.

Please feel free to not "trash up" the thread though :)

Not at all and for what it's worth I think the decision to release Kinect less Sku is dumb and let's down a lot of us xbox one owners (in terms of devs picking up or using the tech.) I was merely pointing out that an Xbox 1.5 won't happen lol!

Lots of people seem to have all kinds of dumb theories like Nintendo buying up Microsoft xbox division (lol!). I'm sure you can appreciate debate and similarly I feel I'm also quite civilised and rational.

I just don't feel the need to sit discussing sales figures as I don't have stocks in them/competitors nor do I care, I just like to play games.

End of the day all Microsoft need to (can do?) do is improve the current games titles, and user interface, also perks like xbox one gold.. Oh and release iplayer! (been far too long.)

id me more than happy if they decided to go a full digital route, with new games priced accordingly. £40-£50 for a new disc based game but £25-£30 for digital download. that would do me fine.

30 quid is optimistic.. But I agree the current prices of 50 or 55 are a slap in the face!

Last edited:
Why would they charge less when they can charge more?

because if they want everyone to go digital surely they cant charge the same price as a physical version after all there is less manufacturing costs in a digital version. im assuming thats why steam does so well. i only ever buy digital copies on pc due to them being a lot cheaper than physical copies.

"Xbox One is Kinect. They are not separate systems. An Xbox One has chips, it has memory, it has Blu-ray, it has Kinect, it has a controller. These are all part of the platform ecosystem." - Phil Harrison

I feel a bit cheated as I didn't really want Kinect but MS said we'd have no choice and it's another kick in the nuts for early adopters who've already seen the XB1 price cut significantly by stores if not the official RRP.

By removing Kinect they've removed one of the differentiators from PS4, without it you're going in at the same price but with 20-30% less performance which is just what Sony want.

We've all seen in the past that optional accessories get weak support from developers, to me this is the death knell for Kinect and means we're going to be left with the same heap of rubbish games, aimed at 5 year olds and gullible parents, that gave the previous version such as bad name.

What developer in their right mind would allocate resources (both in terms of development and CPU cycles) to an optional accessory on a console that is already weaker than its main competitor?

It's a move that smacks a bit of desperation and I don't even think the cost savings will get fully passed on as most stores have already been discounting the hardware or bundling it up with games anyway.

Has everyone also noticed that the Games for Gold on the Xbox One has gone 'subscription based'. Or more specifically, you can only play them while you have an active Gold subscription. No change on the 360.

It doesn't really bother me, I've been continuous subs since 2005, but it is interesting they've gone the Sony route. This really does mean that they have to improve the games they're giving away to the same level as Sony.

I think Microsoft are getting a bit desperate now tbh. Removing kinect just means they hav a console with less performance than PS4 for the same money. I really cannot see that going well. The Xbox one needs to be £299 or less for that to work.

They really should have listened to the gamers in the first place.

Has everyone also noticed that the Games for Gold on the Xbox One has gone 'subscription based'. Or more specifically, you can only play them while you have an active Gold subscription. No change on the 360.

It doesn't really bother me, I've been continuous subs since 2005, but it is interesting they've gone the Sony route. This really does mean that they have to improve the games they're giving away to the same level as Sony.
I suppose that offsets the removal of the requirement for a sub to use the apps like Netflix etc.

Why? It's perfectly possible to upgrade the GPU. New games could take advanatge of it to run at 1080p/60fps, games would also detect original XB1 and run at 720p/30 upscalled (or whatever they would run at now anyway). No or little downside to existing owners as they continue to get the experience they already get and potentially better experience for XB1.5 owners.

Whether it's economically viable is another matter. It rather depends on how much MS want to "win" the living room.

It would take time to develop anything new and they'd probably have to do a full recall/replacement programme (like the RROD scheme) to prevent lawsuits, very expensive. It's far more likely that they will stick it out for a few years but bring the launch of their next console forward and kill off Xbox One earlier than planned but that's only going to anger their fanbase even further.

because if they want everyone to go digital surely they cant charge the same price as a physical version after all there is less manufacturing costs in a digital version. im assuming thats why steam does so well. i only ever buy digital copies on pc due to them being a lot cheaper than physical copies.

They want to sell as many consoles, games and accessories as possible, they can only do that if they're widely available. Manufacturing costs have little bearing on the cost of physical games just as the lack thereof has no bearing on the cost of digital ones. The entire thing is far more complex than "they should be cheaper because there's no disc".

Hi,

a) The newer console released early would never happen (never happened before iirc)
b) Where is the market for a more powerful Xbox1? I would imagine early adopters would think twice, having being stung with the price drops and kinectless SKU happening so soon.

I am sure there will be less emphasis/money spent on Kinect now and more being focused on exclusives and software differentiating features (things Microsoft proved they are very good at with last gen).

rp2000

They want to sell as many consoles, games and accessories as possible, they can only do that if they're widely available. Manufacturing costs have little bearing on the cost of physical games just as the lack thereof has no bearing on the cost of digital ones. The entire thing is far more complex than "they should be cheaper because there's no disc".

If they want to go digital, they need to emulate the best. I have a ton of games in my Steam librarysimply because they were so cheap. If they were priced at £55 doubt I would have any at all.

Back
Top Bottom