*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

When has a console been superceded by a more powerful one in the same generation by a manufacturer, especially within a year, I'm curious?
Don't think it ever has although Xbox (and PS4) are close enough to PC architecture it should be doable (and lets face it, its actually seen as a strength for PC gaming). As long as they maintain backwards compatibility it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Probably wishful thinking though, I doubt the effort and cost involved could be justified by revenues.

It would destroy their reputation and fragment their Xbox eco-system, it would create a new level and would put off developers. They would have to offer massive incentives and that would be seen as failure, would never happen.

To be fair the same was said about a Kinectless XB1, but I take your point :)

It could actually work without fragmentation, games would run (for example) at full 1080p/60fps on XB1.5 slim or 720p upscalled on XB1 original. Devs take this into account with PCs all the time and both consoles are closer to PCs than their previous gens in terms of architecture now.

Perhaps the more obvious option is to reduce XB1 to cheaper than PS4? I just struggle to see why a new customer would buy XB1 over PS4 now at the same price given XB1's lower power and lack of anything like Kinect to offset that disadvantage outside of exclusive titles, and I say that as a day one XB1 customer. MS has to come up with something to differentiate XB1. Widening the media aspect with tight TV and one guide integration outside of the US would be a step in the right direction I suppose.

You've put some of the most ridiculous ideas all in one post lol!
Xbox will not improve the hardware spec. Nintendo dint have the spare cash.

To improve xbox need to (and will) :
Improve Kinect functionality, voice control and user detection
Release new games (Inc. Exclusives that will be announced at e3)
Improve various system function such as party chat so it works better.

The system architecture isn't a big deal! Get over specs and enjoy some games. It's unfortunate that a kinectless model will fragment the user base.

Last edited:
MS have dropped one of the XB1s 2 unique selling points. Kinect integration, mainly the voice commands are the main reason I use my XB1 as a media centre as well as a games console.

TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV -- just not outside the USA. They really, really need to fix that. To push TV so much at e3 and online then have no integration at all outside of the states is beyond ridiculous.

I love my XB1, really do. But at this point, what is the point, for a new buyer, to get anything other than a PS4? I think the exclusives for XB1 are better atm, it is why I got it (and I will have both eventually), but the majority of games will be multiplat. So why go with XB1?

You just know devs aren't going to care about Kinect functionality within their games now.

A shame on one hand, but on the other (even as an early adopter), perhaps this won't be a bad thing.

the most interesting bit i noticed today was the deals for gold. possibly upto 75% of digital copies of forza 5 and ryse next month with another 1 or 2 thown in. could possibly be MS having steam like sales in limited numbers.

just a shame about the HDD size tho

MS have dropped one of the XB1s 2 unique selling points. Kinect integration, mainly the voice commands are the main reason I use my XB1 as a media centre as well as a games console.

TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV -- just not outside the USA. They really, really need to fix that. To push TV so much at e3 and online then have no integration at all outside of the states is beyond ridiculous.

I love my XB1, really do. But at this point, what is the point, for a new buyer, to get anything other than a PS4? I think the exclusives for XB1 are better atm, it is why I got it (and I will have both eventually), but the majority of games will be multiplat. So why go with XB1?
I tend to agree, I have no intention of swapping my XB1 for anything else at the moment, I just wonder having taken yet another step away from the original "vision" of XB1 and the elements which differenttiated it form the more powerful PS4 for "pure" gaming, what else MS could do at this point given the console will be around for another 5 - 7 years. How does it capture the imagination of customers and maintain or increase market share against the PS4. I don't think anyone wants to see console gaming degenerate into one console being massively dominant, we'd all lose out in the long term.

the most interesting bit i noticed today was the deals for gold. possibly upto 75% of digital copies of forza 5 and ryse next month with another 1 or 2 thown in. could possibly be MS having steam like sales in limited numbers.

just a shame about the HDD size tho

I agree, despite the system power which obviously can't be changed now (anyone with sense will realise this), the hard drive should be 1tb I reckon! However 500gb will be fine for me I suppose as I delete games as I go along (and sell them)

I agree, despite the system power which obviously can't be changed now (anyone with sense will realise this), the hard drive should be 1tb I reckon! However 500gb will be fine for me I suppose as I delete games as I go along (and sell them)

not if they are digital downloads u wont lol.

anyways with a kinect-less xbox one now that frees up a little bit of extra gpu power anyways so its not all bad

You've put some of the most ridiculous ideas all in one post lol!
Xbox will not improve the hardware spec. Nintendo dint have the spare cash.

To improve xbox need to (and will) :

The system architecture isn't a big deal! Get over specs and enjoy some games. It's unfortunate that a kinectless model will fragment the user base.
I don't think I have although I accept it's all just theorycrafting, having said that looking at your suggestions

Too late - having made the Kinect optional now it's unlikely games will have major features dependant on it as not only will the PS4 version not support it but a neither will a good percentage of XB1s.

Both consoles will have their exclusives and it'll come down to personal choice

Although very welcome I hardly think fixing things like party chat is likely to all of a sudden generate an upsurge in people buying XB1

i enjoy the games on XB1 and if I was worried about specs I'd have bought a PS4 from the start, however you'd have to be burying your head in the sand to not accept that having lost some of it's unique feature XB1 will have to compete with PS4 on either titles, cost or power & capability if it's to maintain a substantial market share. I just don't want to see Xbox go down the same road Nintendo did.

I agree, despite the system power which obviously can't be changed now (anyone with sense will realise this)
Why? It's perfectly possible to upgrade the GPU. New games could take advanatge of it to run at 1080p/60fps, games would also detect original XB1 and run at 720p/30 upscalled (or whatever they would run at now anyway). No or little downside to existing owners as they continue to get the experience they already get and potentially better experience for XB1.5 owners.

Whether it's economically viable is another matter. It rather depends on how much MS want to "win" the living room.

Last edited:
I don't think I have although I accept it's all just theorycrafting, having said that looking at your suggestions

Too late - having made the Kinect optional now it's unlikely games will have major features dependant on it as not only will the PS4 version not support it but a neither will a good percentage of XB1s.

Both consoles will have their exclusives and it'll come down to personal choice

Although very welcome I hardly think fixing things like party chat is likely to all of a sudden generate an upsurge in people buying XB1

i enjoy the games on XB1 and if I was worried about specs I'd have bought a PS4 from the start, however you'd have to be burying your head in the sand to not accept that having lost some of it's unique feature XB1 will have to compete with PS4 on either titles, cost or power & capability if it's to maintain a substantial market share. I just don't want to see Xbox go down the same road Nintendo did.

Microsoft will still support the Kinect (hopefully other devs too!), 5+ million Kinects haven't stopped working.

Nintendo has some great games on wii u, poor console sales is due to poor marketing (ie the name suggests it is a wii peripheral, and poor 3rd party uptake).

Obviously exclusive titles will be based on user but it's not like "xbox lol dead" like most the silly people on this forum think :p.

Why? It's perfectly possible to upgrade the GPU. New games could take advanatge of it to run at 1080p/60fps, games would also detect original XB1 and run at 720p/30 upscalled (or whatever they would run at now anyway). No or little downside to existing owners as they continue to get the experience they already get and potentially better experience for XB1.5 owners.

Whether it's economically viable is another matter. It rather depends on how much MS want to "win" the living room.

It just won't happen.

I'm not going to bother trashing up this thread anymore (I'm sure that Kinect thread will get enough of that!)

Been playing plants vs zombies today and it's an awesome multiplayer experience!

Yeah I quite like it, tbh it's something I would only play online with people I know really but it's good fun.

If you like gears of war horde mode you will like the Co op, player versus enemy is also good but shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Bit annoying split screen isn't available to work online as well but I guess we can't have it all. Apologies but I've forgot your gamertag?

Last edited:
Yeah I quite like it, tbh it's something I would only play online with people I know really but it's good fun.

Bit annoying split screen isn't available to work online as well but I guess we can't have it all. Apologies but I've forgot your gamertag?

does iy have a single player campaign as well. my GT is shottsloyalists. i added you the other day off the ocuk GT thread. pretty sure u musta mentioned a game you were looking to play.

It just won't happen.

I'm not going to bother trashing up this thread anymore (I'm sure that Kinect thread will get enough of that!)
Fair enough, I think this thread is probably a good place to discuss the future of Xbox, a little bit of speculation doesn't hurt and you seem to be getting awful defensive. I'm not writing XB1 off, as I said I pre ordered for day one and have no intention of swapping. I'm just interested in how MS may plan to win back customers given the Kinect announcement pretty clearly signals they accept they're not in the place they want to be at the moment in terms of sales and I would suspect that will only get worse as "XBox fans" now have one so winning over agnostic, casual or PS4 console gamers will be a tougher proposition.

XB1 is a fine console with fun games, but, I suspect it's unlikely MS are happy with how it's faring against PS4 at the moment (hence the changes).

We thought they'd never make Kinect optional, nor drop the requirement for live gold sub for apps. Will MS make any further more strategic changes rather than these tactical ones is worth of sensible grown up debate I would suggest. It doesn't have to be a "OMG yo dissed mah Xbox LOL!" argument, more a "what next" civilised conversation amongst XB1 owners.

Please feel free to not "trash up" the thread though :)

Back
Top Bottom