*** The Official Xbox One Thread ***

Kinect is now dead thanks to MS
We’re committed to giving developers new tools and flexibility to make their Xbox One games even better by giving them the option to use the GPU reserve in whatever way is best for them and their games
Which means devs can choose to use Kinect or not use it and get more power. How many devs will choose power over Kinect?
Quite funny as Phil Harrison said
“Xbox One is Kinect. They are not separate systems. An Xbox One has chips, it has memory, it has Blu-ray, it has Kinect, it has a controller. These are all part of the platform ecosystem.”
This is just a slap in the face for early adopters who were made to buy an X1 with Kinect.

Which means devs can choose to use Kinect or not use it and get more power. How many devs will choose power over Kinect?
This is just a slap in the face for early adopters who were made to buy an X1 with Kinect.

Why is it a slap in the face?

Why is it a slap in the face?

Because very few devs will use it now. I thought that was clear in what I said? Some people didn't want it but they HAD to buy an X1 with Kinect and they were told that MS would never sell the X1 without Kinect.
If you're an early adopter you expect the price to go down. You don't expect something to be removed that you were told was essential.

Because they could've made that an option in the beginning, now we have a block named kinect 2.0 that will only be used just to say xbox record that or some other silly non time saving commands.

Kinect-required games will still be released and Kinect integration will still exist in a lot of games, I'm sure.

There's no slap in the face, I'm glad I've got a Kinect 2.0 sat on my TV. It's simply another option.

not at all as MS will continue to develop for it. The voice commands alone are worth having the kinnect.

Because very few devs will use it now. I thought that was clear in what I said? Some people didn't want it but they HAD to buy an X1 with Kinect and they were told that MS would never sell the X1 without Kinect.
If you're an early adopter you expect the price to go down. You don't expect something to be removed that you were told was essential.

Some devs will use it, I am really not fussed about them dropping it from the bundle now though.

Having used it since launch it is a handy thing to have, and if it was separate at launch I would have bought one, I like the idea of it, and I really like the voice controls, they are not useless at all.

Use Kinect every time im using the XO, its nice how it works and works well with all my other devices, if you think its the end for Kinect your mad, between that and the host of TV options available to them, you have absolutely NO way of telling what the future holds for any system.

Use Kinect every time im using the XO, its nice how it works and works well with all my other devices, if you think its the end for Kinect your mad, between that and the host of TV options available to them, you have absolutely NO way of telling what the future holds for any system.

Given the option of buying an Xbone with Kinect or without most people will choose without and save the money - I certainly would have if I'd not already bought one on release as I've found no use for it yet.

On that basis even if 50% of people bought the Kinect that's 50% who will not have it. If you were developing a game would you want to target 100% of Xbone users or just 50%? That answer is you'd go for the 100%.

Yes things may have Kinect features but there will not be as much development time thrown at it and you'll be able to do the same with a controller.

I'd like to think MS would back the Kinect with developers but they are loosing out to the PS4 and can not keep up with the performance of that system. If freeing up extra power from the Kinect means they can get a step closer to the PS4 then I'm sure that will be their priority.

So ultimately it may well end up being a peripheral used for navigating apps and menus with your voice. That's not really a compelling reason to use or even have Kinect for many people, as is evident from the introduction of a Kinect-free console.

My kinect seems to be a bit hit and miss maybe its my thick northern accent :D

I seen some guy whispering to his on youtube i tried that and nothing :o

Its turned off again now:p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom