The Rise of Lonely Single Straight Men

Caporegime
Having similar senses of humour is probably more important than having loads of common interests imo. Unless you are both boring sad-sacks who don't like laughing (which is still similar senses of humour I guess).

I used to have "Love trance music" as one the most important criteria for me, because it was such a core part of me in my teens and 20s. Funnily enough, my wife is the first relationship where my partner actively HATES my music, and that is fine.
I get to go clubbing, she can chill at home. We have plenty of other things in common (escape rooms/puzzles, anime, board games, travel), so having some things for ourselves is actually better than being in each-others pockets ALL the time.

Caporegime
Plenty of men are lazy. Rather sit on their backside and complain about women. Instead of going out there and doing productive stuff in their lives. Which in return will attract women.

Heard plenty of people say that before until it actually happens. Then they are in tears saying how much they want their ex back. As all of a sudden they have so much free time on their hands they don't know what to do with themselves.

Kayaking, mtb and holidays and free time!

I'd be very very tempted to go on working holiday visas. I'm not one for doing nothing

Soldato
OP
I'm not the one being unhealthy dating themselves. It's weird. What next, you gonna get engaged to your xbox?

You're looking at this situation in isolation.

Given you're happy to mercilessly ridicule a friend for something like this, it's likely you are happy to ridicule anything they do which you don't agree with or attempt to understand even where it affects you in no way at all.

It's very unlikely your friend is able to turn to you for support or help for any situation when they really need it given the response they feel they might receive from yourself i.e. ridicule.

This results in them saying nothing and bottling everything up resulting in potentially destructive situations for them and others.... All for being unable to talk to an empathetic friend

I wonder how many people are out there who wish their friends knew they could have turned to them for help rather than keeping it to themselves and ending their lives....

Caporegime

Given you're happy to mercilessly ridicule a friend for something like this, it's likely you are happy to ridicule anything they do which you don't agree with or attempt to understand even where it affects you in no way at all.

It's very unlikely your friend is able to turn to you for support or help for any situation when they really need it given the response they feel they might receive from yourself i.e. ridicule.

This results in them saying nothing and bottling everything up resulting in potentially destructive situations for them and others.... All for being unable to talk to an empathetic friend

I wonder how many people are out there who wish their friends knew they could have turned to them for help rather than keeping it to themselves and ending their lives....

Its a shame how people get "stuck" in their own experiences and bubbles. It's where a lot of our social problems come from.

Wasnt long ago the same mindset "you must be like me or you're broken" caused repression of LGBT+, people of a different religion, etc etc.

It baffles me. Its hurting no one. Surely if someone fancies a robot, an AI or even a car, if they are happy they are happy?

I find it bizarre to ridicule someone. Especially a friend.

The future is coming. You don't have to go back far to see things that wee accepted now that would have seemed completely broken even a decade ago.

Last edited:
Soldato

No. I'm a very supportive friend in 99% of the time however this 1%, in my opinion, deserves ridicule. It is not healthy to try and say you're having a relationship with a bloody robot.

If any friend came to me and said they were dating an AI robot I'd give them a shake, laugh at them and tell them to sort their lives out and actually date someone real. Dating a robot isn't going to be fulfilling for neither heart nor soul so what's the point and why would you want to support your friend into thinking what their doing makes any rational sense.

People trying to normalise dating AI need to have a wobble of their heads and think about it. It's weird and it's certainly not helpful. I'd understand trying it for a bit of a laugh to see how advanced the AI is but as soon as someone starts to think it's a regular relationship, they need to wake up.

I get annoyed when multiplayer servers are down. Imagine being in a moment of need and your AI girlfriend can't help you because it's getting an update or the company have decided to shut down. Then good luck explaining to your next love interest, assuming you're back into humans, that your last relationship was a flipping AI. Madness

Last edited:
Caporegime
No. I'm a very supportive friend in 99% of the time however this 1%, in my opinion, deserves ridicule. It is not healthy to try and say you're having a relationship with a bloody robot.

If any friend came to me and said they were dating an AI robot I'd give them a shake, laugh at them and tell them to sort their lives out and actually date someone real. Dating a robot isn't going to be fulfilling for neither heart nor soul so what's the point and why would you want to support your friend into thinking what their doing makes any rational sense.

People trying to normalise dating AI need to have a wobble of their heads and think about it. It's weird and it's certainly not helpful. I'd understand trying it for a bit of a laugh to see how advanced the AI is but as soon as someone starts to think it's a regular relationship, they need to wake up.

I get annoyed when multiplayer servers are down. Imagine being in a moment of need and your AI girlfriend can't help you because it's getting an update or the company have decided to shut down. Then good luck explaining to your next love interest, assuming you're back into humans, that your last relationship was a flipping AI. Madness

That's your problem right there. Your friends never "deserve" ridiculue This attitude is dangerous and why men suffer mental health problems in silence.

Read the room my friend, times are changing, even if you aren't. We're not normalizing dating an AI. We're normalizing supporting your friends, understanding them, being empathetic and not thinking they deserve ridicule

Last edited:
Caporegime

I think you're going to get left in the past soon and be one of those who said "back in my day..." an awful lot.

There are a lot of benefits for a lot of people of an AI or robot gf.

Not everyone wants the ups and downs of a relationship. Not everyone can cope. You mention about an AI going down?

My gf has developed what might be a life changing condition. I don't know if I can cope. I do everything around the house. I get no help. It's burning me out. The options might be "break up". In which case I know I can't cope with the downs and shouldn't get in another relationship. Or be a slave.
I work, I finish. I do house work. Cook, clean, rinse and repeat. I do all the driving. Holidays are no fun.

Its a sad existence. Its very hard.

Not every relationship is healthy.

Last edited:
Soldato
It seems like lonely single men having waifus has laid the foundations for the next level. To not be lonely anymore with the help of AI. The technology must be very primitive at the moment but when it gets to a level of being imperceptible to humans e.g. Blade Runner replicants, then it could really hit the mainstream.

The general trend of humans seems to be idealisation and perfectionism. E.g. camera filters and how much energy people put into taking that perfect Instagram photo rather than just enjoying the moment. With social media it's almost like people want to be represented by an avatar as their definitive being. As humans become more machine-like and machine technology improves, that leap to AI is going to become much smaller.

Soldato
That's your problem right there. Your friends never "deserve" ridiculue This attitude is dangerous and why men suffer mental health problems in silence.

Read the room my friend, times are changing, even if you aren't. We're not normalizing dating an AI. We're normalizing supporting your friends, understanding them, being empathetic and not thinking they deserve ridicule

I've supported my friends and family through some truly horrendous and difficult things for them. I'm a friend, that is what I do.

But of course, as a friend, I'm going to laugh at what they're doing if their trying to seek comfort in an AI machine. That is not normal and I do not believe it's a healthy thing to do. The same way I would not support a friend if they were going through a crippling drug addiction by telling them that the quick fix is OK and healthy. I'd rather talk to them and see what the root cause of the behaviour is. Why do you feel the need to date a computer program? Is it because you're lonely? Well, I always have an open door. Is it because you're fed up of being single? Let me help you through that.

What I will not do is pander to them and tell them that an AI relationship is a sensible solution to the desire for a long term relationship. Because it's not. Frankly, I think telling them that it's OK without getting to the real cause of why they felt like they needed to pay for an AI service to make them feel loved is just a lazy cop out.

Caporegime
Life is hard. Relationships are hard. But I would rather a life of failed relationships than the fake happiness of an AI bot telling me what I want to hear.

I'd chose the AI if it's good enough.

I'd be under no illusion that its an AI. But by this point you'd be questioning "what is consciousness".

For myself.. This is a test. If I genuinely cannot cope with my gfs issues. Then I do not deserve to take on another relationship. Because its clear I can't be the "carer" if things turn bad.

Its the ultimate test. And honestly.. If my work starts to get stressful.. I don't think I can cope with house, cleaning, cooking, all bills, all admin, no holidays, constant pressure and loneliness.

Yes. I'd take the AI. Because I wouldn't want to do same to another person.

Back
Top Bottom