The Rise of Lonely Single Straight Men

Soldato
@Junglist - Why is the assumption that it's an active choice for everyone not to have a "real" relationship? People who cannot get a "real" relationship whether through health issues, lack of confidence, unfortunate looks or whatever will have an option through AI to feel less lonely.

Health Issues: While it's probably significantly more difficult for someone with health issues to get a relationship, it's not impossible. I do sympathise with them though, much more than everyone else on the list.

Unfortunate looks? Yes, I suppose that is a hinderance especially with apps such as tinder but a good personality will overcome that. Unless of course they are truely hideous and no amount of self betterment could fix it.

Lack of confidence? Ha. That's just being lazy. No one is born with innate dating confidence and much like any skill in life, confidence comes with practice. I'm not a confident person but I didn't want to be alone for the rest of my life so I did what people do. You put yourself out there. Yes you'll get knocked back a lot but that's what builds confidence. You learn a no isn't the end of the world. Using lack of confidence but doing nothing actively to fix your lack of confidence is nothing but a **** poor excuse.

If you want to date you have to put yourself out there. It's a vulnerable situation but that is what builds confidence. I wasn't a confident driver at first but after few driving lessons and you get your license, your confidence grows. That is how life and experience works

Soldato
As I said, men are lazy. People in general are lazy. Putting effort talking to an AI instead of actual people is also lazy.

Get a pet instead.

Last edited:

G J

G J

Associate
I'd rather men turn to AI rather than paying to talk to camgirl/onlyfans model's as its been shown that you could be talking to the the likes of Andrew Tate and his cohorts sexting with you (which totally isnt gay tho :cry:) scamming vulnerable men out of their money.

Unfortunately mens spaces online have a problem with frauds, pickup and dating roaches.

Associate
Better off getting a pet, you'll get more back from it and at least you'll know it wasn't programmed, by someone else, to show you attention.

I'd be genuinely curious to see the split between men and women who think this is a normal or acceptable thing to do. My partner thinks it's hilarious that people would go that route rather than have a real meaningful relationship.

People who want to be single? I understand. People who want to be in a relationship, I understand. Someone looking to have a relationship with a robot? Yeah, that's a hard no from me.

I get that we are on a computer enthusiast forum and I'm a tech enthusiast and often find these sorts of advancements really impressive. I suppose there is some element of the technology I find really impressive but the way people are using it I find rather sad. It's really sad that people think there isn't someone out there for them so they need to turn to their phone and text something they know isn't real for them to get that feeling.

I just can't fathom a scenario where someone says "Oh I'm just talking to my AI girlfriend" and I either don't burst out in laughter or think they're a bit of an odd job. I'm a very liberal guy but this is so left of the field it's on another planet.
All I can think of is blade runner.
One day surely robots including AI girlfriends will be indistinguishable to a real human, would your mind change then?

Soldato
One day surely robots including AI girlfriends will be indistinguishable to a real human, would your mind change then?
I'll likely be dead by that point so I won't be a bigot against robot lovers

But in the here and now? This stuff is hilariously pathetic, to me.

Of course, if someone gets satisfaction from it, more power to them. They're not hurting anyone so crack on but it'll always make me laugh.

Associate
I'll likely be dead by that point so I won't be a bigot against robot lovers

But in the here and now? This stuff is hilariously pathetic, to me.

Of course, if someone gets satisfaction from it, more power to them. They're not hurting anyone so crack on but it'll always make me laugh.
I think it's only going to go further in this direction, unless certain things change. From a legal point of view, divorce is a disaster for men, financially and family, and 80% are instigated by women.

I think marriage rates will continue to decline and also birthrates.

Last edited:
Soldato

Last edited:
Associate
I'd rather men turn to AI rather than paying to talk to camgirl/onlyfans model's as its been shown that you could be talking to the the likes of Andrew Tate and his cohorts sexting with you (which totally isnt gay tho :cry:) scamming vulnerable men out of their money.

Unfortunately mens spaces online have a problem with frauds, pickup and dating roaches.
Programmers can surely replicate that without the need of others input and push an AI towards money/scamming first.

Man of Honour
So we’re all agree: takeaway pizza forever, being romantic with AI and fapping off to pr0n perpetually is an acceptable way to avoid feelings of loneliness.

… well, it may work short term but as with ‘indulging in all fantasies that conflict with reality’ as a coping mechanism, all it does is makes reality less and less bearable.

Man of Honour
Lack of confidence? Ha. That's just being lazy. No one is born with innate dating confidence and much like any skill in life, confidence comes with practice. I'm not a confident person but I didn't want to be alone for the rest of my life so I did what people do. You put yourself out there. Yes you'll get knocked back a lot but that's what builds confidence. You learn a no isn't the end of the world. Using lack of confidence but doing nothing actively to fix your lack of confidence is nothing but a **** poor excuse.

If you want to date you have to put yourself out there. It's a vulnerable situation but that is what builds confidence. I wasn't a confident driver at first but after few driving lessons and you get your license, your confidence grows. That is how life and experience works

Strong agree.

I used to go to university with a pretty damn ugly guy, who was like a human pinball machine of rejection in nightclubs, but he persevered and would pretty much always succeed in dancing with, kissing or going home with an attractive lady after all his hard work has paid off.

Meanwhile, I laughed on at his embarrassment whilst I danced by myself. Talked to no one. And then went home by myself

“Better luck next time”, I thought.

Back
Top Bottom