• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
- get the smoother motion/fluidity of 100+ fps with pretty much the same latency, can't see any real downsides to this option
The downside is that this is an unacceptably poor 'remaster' that uses frame generation as a crutch to make smooth framerates possible *at all* - I don't think that should be encouraged or lauded. CDPR have released *yet another* minimum viable product.

The way around the CPU-bottleneck issue was to actually do a DX12 port as opposed to running the game through a DX11->12 wrapper. Having a 4000-series card isn't gaining you anything here - instead it's massively squandering the performance the card has on something that shouldn't be this heavy on current (or previous generation) hardware.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The downside is that this is an unacceptably poor 'remaster' that uses frame generation as a crutch to make smooth framerates possible *at all* - I don't think that should be encouraged or lauded. CDPR have released *yet another* minimum viable product.

The way around the CPU-bottleneck issue was to actually do a DX12 port as opposed to running the game through a DX11->12 wrapper. Having a 4000-series card isn't gaining you anything here - instead it's massively squandering the performance the card has on something that shouldn't be this heavy on current (or previous generation) hardware.

Agree, developers shouldn't be relying on upscaling and frame generation and not optimise their games but sadly they will :(

Associate
Sadly, yes. You've only got to look at the terrible GPU utilization for the 4090 in DF's video - this game shouldn't even tax a 3080 Ti at max settings but the CPU usage is killing it. If frame generation didn't exist, everyone would be tearing CDPR a new one for releasing a remaster of a seven year old game that can't achieve a stable 60fps on Nvidia's flagship GPU.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It is a noticeable improvement compared to what we saw at launch with spiderman and cyberpunk figures though iirc, in them games, there was a 10+ms increase with FG on although obviously not like for like and different game engines (which as shown by DF also have a big impact on default latency). Of course it will never match a true native 100+ fps latency but as it is, there is no way around the severe cpu bottleneck issue other than FG so a case of pick your poison, well not even really that imo....

- stick with <60 fps at 56ms of latency

Or:

- get the smoother motion/fluidity of 100+ fps with pretty much the same latency, can't see any real downsides to this option

Personally I know which I would rather have gaming on a 175hz screen.

Good to hear. I recon they will have it in good shape just in time for Blackwell release. Just like DLSS was with Turing to Ampere :D

Last edited:
Soldato

Seems FG/dlss 3 latency has been improved/reduced somewhat:

M7wTywv.png

They should test for input latency at 20, 30 and 40 fps. At 50fps + is already pretty good. Not to mention is a the kinda of game where you aim in the general direction of something and click.
Anyway, it feels pretty smooth at around 30fps, so no wonder input latency is low - probably is by design as opposed to some consoles ports.
Also, DLSS Quality is actually better than native... yey. Not so yey in the performance department as the gains are quite low compared to other games moving to DLSS...

To be fair, for a free upgrade, is decent. The guys from Star Citizen ported their engine to Vulkan for more than a year, time and effort well spent. Why waste resources on their old engine since it will be thrown to the garbage bin anyway when moving to Unreal 5 for future games?
With that said, is a "quick fix" kind of a job. Shadows are too dark and at times I think it looks a more true to how it should be in rasterization.

Unreal 5.1 already does it better

Associate
To be fair, for a free upgrade, is decent. Why waste resources on their old engine since it will be thrown to the garbage bin anyway when moving to Unreal 5 for future games?
True - anyone who already owned Witcher III gets a free upgrade - and that is generous - however, as a counterpoint, I'd much rather have paid £20-£30 for a proper DX12 port that runs well on current and previous gen hardware.

The Witcher III is supposedly CDPR's 'crown jewel' and this update feels more like something Take 2/Rockstar would release. Very disappointing.

Soldato
It is a noticeable improvement compared to what we saw at launch with spiderman and cyberpunk figures though iirc, in them games, there was a 10+ms increase with FG on although obviously not like for like and different game engines (which as shown by DF also have a big impact on default latency). Of course it will never match a true native 100+ fps latency but as it is, there is no way around the severe cpu bottleneck issue other than FG so a case of pick your poison, well not even really that imo....

- stick with <60 fps at 56ms of latency

Or:

Personally I know which I would rather have gaming on a 175hz screen.

If they get the games down to the same or similar latency like Witcher 3 here then there is no reason not to use FG. It doesn't matter that latency does match native HFR; it never will unless they find a way to trick the CPU into generating those frames in step with the GPU - what matters is there there is player input feel and visual smoothness and a HFR will improves the hat you visually see even if player input latency is the same

120fps/120hz will look better than 60fps/60hz even if both have the same mouse input latency

Last edited:
Associate
what matters is there there is player input feel and visual smoothness and a HFR will improves the hat you visually see even if player input latency is the same
Don't necessarily agree, but can see that it's personal - if it starts from an fps of, say, 90 and generates up to 150, it might not be too bad. If you're starting at 30fps and generating to 70 or 80, I don't think it would feel good at all.

30fps now feels clunky - even if a game is beautiful at 30fps, i will turn the graphics down to get a smoother frame rate. Not just talking about fps shooters or anything, I will do that with strategy games too. Fluidity is vital, and if something looks great, but the input doesn't feel right, it would bother me.

Difficult to know how much without trying it though, it must be said. Looking at the numbers I think latency would be irritating, but I may well find I'm wrong if I ever use it.

Soldato
Shadows are too dark and at times I think it looks a more true to how it should be in rasterization.
Yes, this is what's bothering me the most now. Was most obvious when I was in The Kingfisher, it was midday and sunny but there wad no real light coming in and bouncing to light up the environment so it looked more like dead at night. It just doesn't have enough rays & bounces so the RT is actually notably worse in such scenarios. On the other hand the raster version looked more lively and as it should but it has its own weaknesses even then.

Really it's the same story as we've seen in Metro Exodus (vanilla) & Dying Light 2, where you have very limited rays/steps/bounces for the GI. In ME I actually liked it and thought it added to the atmosphere but in DL2 the lack of bounce led to severe black crush so I wrote it off. Here in TW3 it sits somewhere in the middle.

Imo CDPR would've had better results with just some simple SSGI or SVOGI for consoles & most PCs, particularly as it wouldn't have the severe CPU impact and they could've kept it dx11 only.

Given just how basic & poor the lighting system really is for TW3 vanilla I'll keep playing with RT but imo it's 60% of the time good, but then the remaining 20% great/20% awful. With a good enough PC the performance issues will be overcome & for a free update it's still a win. It's just too bad they couldn't unequivocally smash it.

Soldato
The Sleeping Dogs-esque games Judgement and Lost Judgement now have DLSS and DLAA.

On a separate note this entire thread is starting to get very messy, Getting useful info is highly hit and miss, Would've been very useful if the opening post could've had several continuously updated sections for games with RT, FSR, DLSS, DLAA and FG.

Last edited:
Caporegime
LEGO® Builder's Journey is free on Epic Store. Another path traced game - if I remember correctly.

Remember seeing the trailers for it and it did look great but wasn't going to pay for it so thanks for the heads up, just trying it now and wow it does look good! :cool: Kind of game where 40s or even 30s fps is perfectly ok due to the type of game or rather puzzle game it is..... With dlss quality @ 3440x1440, I am at about 50-60 fps. Rivatuner overlay crashes the game so you'll need to use geforce overlay if you want performance figures.

Not a bad showing for amd and even rdna 2 either tbf.

1tuqJO9.png

On a separate note, I see pcgamershardware have a relative RT average result now:

xxQrMa3.png

Based on these games:

mTuIK3U.png

Last edited:
Permabanned
Can confirm The Witcher 3 has been updated, now with all RT options on and ULTRA+ at 1440P with FRS2 quality I get a steady and ver smooth 30 FPS with no stutter, no less and no more.
Performance at stock 22.11.2 driver.

Last edited:
Soldato
Saw a comment on the DF video about Portal RTX:

Pixels said:
Surprised this isn't covered in the video but I managed to get it running much better on older cards by going into the developer settings and turning off both Opacity Micromap and Shader Execution Reordering since it reduces performance on hardware that don't support it. There are also a bunch of settings that are unnecessarily high like reflection bounce and sample counts which are set to 10 and 7 by default, lowering all of them down improved performance by around 2x without compromising too much on the visual quality. I can't remember the rest so I'll update this comment when I get back home.

Edit: Here are the rest of the settings: DLSS: Performance Path Tracing: - Resolver: Max Secondary Interactions: 1 - PSR Max Reflection PSR Bounce: 1 Max Transmission PSR Bounce: 3 - Integrator: Unordered Resolve in Indirect Rays: Disable Min Path Bounces: 0 Max Path Bounces: 2 (or any value depending on your setup) - Opacity Micromap: Disable Lighting: RIS Light Sample Count: 2 (or above depending on your hardware) - RTXDI: Spatial Sample Count: 1 Ray Traced Bias Correction: Disable - ReSTIR GI: ReSTIR GI Spatial Bias Correction: None Volumetrics: - Per-Portal Volumes: Disable - Initial RIS Sample Count: 2 Denoising: - Separate Primary Direct/Indirect Denoiser: Disable - Filter Fireflies in Disocclusion: Enable - Enhance BSDF Detail Under DLSS: Disable Post-processing: * -Bloom:* Disable (Personal preference but does cost some performance) Note: Lighting and Denoising settings are all related, you may either apply these settings or set them to default as not applying all will cause visual artifacts. I used DLSS performance with these settings and managed to increase from 35 to 65 FPS at 1080p. This was tested on a 2070 Super so your mileage may vary on other hardware. You can gain even more FPS by turning certain RTX features completely off like RTXDI and Reflections PSR (Ray Traced Reflections) though it will alter the visuals significantly.

Soldato
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom