• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I’d have thought ray tracing would have been great in space sim games? But then most space sim games, at least that I play are done by small studios, X4 etc. so unlikely they have the development time to devote to it.

But RT could look great in strategy games also, I’d happily use RT in something like Anno1800, Civ etc. in fact I’d bet Civ 7 gets RT

Associate
I would still need it to run smoothly, even for those types of games. But the details of models, compared with a lot less general movement going on could look very good.

To get really fancy, use the mouse pointer as an object for light bounces, shadows etc.

But it needs to be at the tight price, which is nowhere near now.
least that I play are done by small studios, X4 etc. so unlikely they have the development time to devote to it.
Agreed (queue interview with Metro devs :p)

Caporegime
Hopefully they do Civilisation next. Though joking aside, using first person games to illustrate RT where the performance hit is the biggest issue is a bit of a problem.

You might get some great results using Civilisation, Stellaris, Endless Space/Legend, Frostpunk, games like that. It might also bring them further to a crawl late game and completely debunk my own point, though this is generally computational, but it seems like there is a possibility missed here.

Funnily one of my favourite RT games is riftbreaker :D It does work well in them top down kind of games. IIRC jurassic world evolution uses ray tracing but I got bored of the game before RT got added so can't comment :p

I’d have thought ray tracing would have been great in space sim games? But then most space sim games, at least that I play are done by small studios, X4 etc. so unlikely they have the development time to devote to it.

But RT could look great in strategy games also, I’d happily use RT in something like Anno1800, Civ etc. in fact I’d bet Civ 7 gets RT

That is largely why RT was created as it saves time and effort so in many ways it is more beneficial to smaller development teams :p Although obviously the initial learning curve of new tech. would require some investment time but if available... using plugins to add RT will help here.

Soldato
Lol. The other game in their list is 'AMD Sponsored RT' too with Callisto Protocol. :cry:
Don't think it has any shiny clean cars driving about in huge puddles in the desert so it's not in your face, probably RT the way it's actually meant to be played...
They should have tried harder, DF didn't put an RT game sponsored by anyone in the top two
Or not... :p :cry:

Last edited:
Caporegime
So DF are no longer considered nvidia shills then? :cry: :D

Don't think it has any shiny clean cars driving about in huge puddles in the desert so it's not in your face, probably RT the way it's actually meant to be played...

Or not... :p :cry:

What gimped like fc 6, re village? :cry: :o

Any time we get comments of RT is gimped, it sucks, it makes no difference, this is my image of them people:

3U8qQXH.png

:D

Associate
Or its yourself banging out walls of text on how developers love RT :cry:
Its just an optional graphical setting that most people don't bother turning on.
No need to be upset.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So DF are no longer considered nvidia shills then? :cry: :D

What gimped like fc 6, re village? :cry: :o

Any time we get comments of RT is gimped, it sucks, it makes no difference, this is my image of them people:

3U8qQXH.png

:D

Yup. They come into an RT thread and cry about how RT makes little difference and no one cares bla bla bla. They must care enough to be here in the first place ;)

Caporegime
Or its yourself banging out walls of text on how developers love RT :cry:
Its just an optional graphical setting that most people don't bother turning on.
No need to be upset.

Indeed, people who don't have the hardware or/and feature set of fsr/dlss/xess or frame generation to bring performance back up can always reduce settings and enjoy the lesser graphical version, same as has had to be done with every other taxing graphical option/setting :)

Yup. They come into an RT thread and cry about how RT makes little difference and no one cares bla bla bla. They must care enough to be here in the first place ;)

Funny thing is we don't get people crying over the "very high", "ultra" settings :cry: I've noticed it seems to have been ever since we removed the "RTX" from the thread title, maybe we should add it back in until amd beats nvidia in RT ;) :cry:

Oh and when you look closer almost all are AMD users/fanboys :p

Nvidia really did nail the marketing with ray tracing and making many think it is an "nvidia" thing with their "RTX" branding :cry:

Again, refer back to this image to see how things will go:

EMTttc3.png

:cry:

I might have to make my own version tbh :p

Caporegime
@fantasticCG See here for example of RT puddle marvelling :D

That's the problem.... it's NOT RT :cry: It acts just like real life where I move my head to a different angle and the puddle suddenly disappears, oh wait...... :D

Suppose could be worse though:

RWpaxhc.png

9XKZKH7.png

Is that a black hole in non RT version or a bad oil leak?

:cry:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom