• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There is some ignorance on my part as I won't play a game that Witcher 3 lickers shilled as it's just a terrible game, Witcher 3 has the same problems where if it were a novel which it is or a movie which it could be but is a show instead, it would serve it's purpose well, gameplay and you don't get a cohesive videogame is where they failed.

But we are on the subjective spectrum here.

It's hard to keep up sometimes when almost 3 years later your game now has things that were previously missing.

Well done beta testing I guess.

I think calling Witcher 3 a terrible game also goes to show how a lot of this stuff is subjective.

The way I see it is RT is the future. Sure in some games it is not implemented well or designed for potato RT cards like the 6900 XT, but some just get carried away and make it sound like RT is rubbish and rasta is way better and the way forward etc. That's when you see the poster is either a fanboy, has an potato RT card or just simply clueless :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
I think calling Witcher 3 a terrible game also goes to show how a lot of this stuff is subjective.

The way I see it is RT is the future. Sure in some games it is not implemented well or designed for potato RT cards like the 6900 XT, but some just get carried away and make it sound like RT is rubbish and rasta is way better and the way forward etc. That's when you see the poster is either a fanboy, has an potato RT card or just simply clueless :p
It's definitely the future, as graphics development goes on it is the only way it can go to make a big enough improvement, but the fake methods being used prior are now being dropped too to support the "Easier" method which for many is annoying because simply we are used to having 90% of what RT can do anyway, not quite as accurate but far in a way missing nothing.

It's a hard time really, we don;t have the performance at a reasonable price other than RTX 4080 and 4090 which are inacessible due to standards of the person and how they value things or the direct method and it is unaffordable.

I do have a 1080P screen still that I can use, but I wanted to stick to 1440P, 1440P is the 90% of 4K at 27 inches basically (No not inthe commonly known way, we are measuring PPI and limitations of human sight), similar thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Associate

so everything below (and including) a 6900xt and rtx 3070 is a potato RT card.
why the surprise then that the majority of people leave it off?

Should I turn it on in my current games so that developers can save time in the future???

Caporegime
It's definitely the future, as graphics development goes on it is the only way it can go to make a big enough improvement, but the fake methods being used prior are now being dropped too to support the "Easier" method which for many is annoying because simply we are used to having 90% of what RT can do anyway, not quite as accurate but far in a way missing nothing.

It's a hard time really, we don;t have the performance at a reasonable price other than RTX 4080 and 4090 which are inacessible due to standards of the person and how they value things or the direct method and it is unaffordable.

I do have a 1080P screen still that I can use, but I wanted to stick to 1440P, 1440P is the 90% of 4K at 27 inches basically (No not inthe commonly known way, we are measuring PPI and limitations of human sight), similar thing.

If you intend on playing titles like portal then yeah sure, 95% won't be able to use it, having said that I played portal at 60 fps with 3440x1440 and dlss performance on a 3080, game looked great and better than most games today.

Unless you are someone who refuses to use upscaling tech. or/and FG, or/and need 120+ fps at4k..... RT is perfectly playable for a lot of people now on 6900xt and 2070s+ hardware. Even someone has created an optimised RT mod for witcher 3 to bring performance up significantly.

I think I might create a new thread in coming days with OP 1, 2 and 3 breaking down different types of RT, hardware capable of, what Rt is in games and like a tier table similar to the gpu one along with good articles/videos on it.

Soldato
That's the problem.... it's NOT RT :cry: It acts just like real life where I move my head to a different angle and the puddle suddenly disappears, oh wait...... :D

Suppose could be worse though:

RWpaxhc.png

9XKZKH7.png

Is that a black hole in non RT version or a bad oil leak?

:cry:

Yes, my point was that all of these comparison seem to come down to people staring into puddles

Last edited:
Associate
If you intend on playing titles like portal then yeah sure, 95% won't be able to use it, having said that I played portal at 60 fps with 3440x1440 and dlss performance on a 3080, game looked great and better than most games today.
HUB just said they don't really recommend dlss performance (potato) mode unless you have already dropped to lowest settings and need to get frame rate back up. They did however recognise that some people are unable to see all the artifacting, ghosting and shimmering while playing the games in this mode. You must be one of them :cry:

Permabanned

Unless you are someone who refuses to use upscaling tech. or/and FG, or/and need 120+ fps at4k..... RT is perfectly playable for a lot of people now on 6900xt and 2070s+ hardware. Even someone has created an optimised RT mod for witcher 3 to bring performance up significantly.

I think I might create a new thread in coming days with OP 1, 2 and 3 breaking down different types of RT, hardware capable of, what Rt is in games and like a tier table similar to the gpu one along with good articles/videos on it.
I look forwards to your new thread if you get around to it sir.

Soldato
Jokes aside, I think the gist is it can make a huge difference graphically if people bother to include it in their games (and do it well) But few really are and it would be a silly feature to influence buying a graphics card for.

Caporegime
Yes, my point was that all of these comparison seem to come down to people staring into puddles

True, probably because it is the most common RT effect used and "immediately noticeable", which is a shame as the lighting, GI and even shadows can often be far better showcases imo, also, even AO is a pretty good one too but I'm picky, was one of my biggest annoyances in division 1, HBAO+ vs SSAO, HBAO+ just added a shadow to everything edge and SSAO just looked flat.

HUB just said they don't really recommend dlss performance (potato) mode unless you have already dropped to lowest settings and need to get frame rate back up. They did however recognise that some people are unable to see all the artifacting, ghosting and shimmering while playing the games in this mode. You must be one of them :cry:

It depends on the game and it's implementation, I trashed dlss modes except quality way at the start but noted how it has improved considerably to the point it is much better these days i.e. could you tell me which one is dlss quality and performance here ;)

igTpsGG.jpg

dm4pQzR.jpg

DF even stated it depends on the game etc. too but that they have also found lower presets much better in recent months e.g.

2Q036ns.png

vljM2fU.png

42Gvbdt.png

Obviously in motion and depending on the game, some issues such as shimmering will be more noticeable and of course when zooming in by 300% then yeah you will notice some parts maybe not being quite as sharp/detailed or we could pick an area where dlss/fsr performance adds more clarity.

I could link several videos where people have stated dlss performance is very good in portal but you would still stick with your agenda :p

Last edited:
Associate
True, probably because it is the most common RT effect used and "immediately noticeable", which is a shame as the lighting, GI and even shadows can often be far better showcases imo, also, even AO is a pretty good one too but I'm picky, was one of my biggest annoyances in division 1, HBAO+ vs SSAO, HBAO+ just added a shadow to everything edge and SSAO just looked flat.

It depends on the game and it's implementation, I trashed dlss modes except quality way at the start but noted how it has improved considerably to the point it is much better these days i.e. could you tell me which one is dlss quality and performance here ;)

igTpsGG.jpg

dm4pQzR.jpg

DF even stated it depends on the game etc. too but that they have also found lower presets much better in recent months e.g.

2Q036ns.png

vljM2fU.png

42Gvbdt.png

Obviously in motion and depending on the game, some issues such as shimmering will be more noticeable and of course when zooming in by 300% then yeah you will notice some parts maybe not being quite as sharp/detailed or we could pick an area where dlss/fsr performance adds more clarity.

I could link several videos where people have stated dlss performance is very good in portal but you would still stick with your agenda :p
go argue with them, they also said not to bother looking at still images. You also don't play at 4K so it's even more potato for you and you can't see it.

Caporegime
go argue with them, they also said not to bother looking at still images. You also don't play at 4K so it's even more potato for you and you can't see it.

So you're taking other people's experiences to come up with your viewpoint without experiencing for yourself, good to know :cry:

Ps. I also have a 4k 55 oled here where dlss performance mode looks even better since it is rendering from a higher res. :) But it doesn't get used as much as the aw qd-oled gives better iq in every other way.

Not fancy having a stab at guessing which Witcher 3 SS is using performance mode then? ;) Or better yet zoom in at 300% to highlight the differences :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
So you're taking other people's experiences without experiencing for yourself, good to know :cry:

Ps. I also have a 4k 55 oled here where dlss performance mode looks even better since it is rendering from a higher res. :)

Not fancy having a stab at guessing which Witcher 3 I using performance mode then? ;) Or better yet zoom in at 300% to highlight the differences :cry:
I have dlss on my potato gpu so can see for myself,like HUB said there is no point looking at the stills because dlss performance mode falls apart when you actually play the game. Do you actually play the games?

Permabanned
I have dlss on my potato gpu so can see for myself,like HUB said there is no point looking at the stills because dlss performance mode falls apart when you actually play the game. Do you actually play the games?
I'd argue it depends on the distance you play from the screen, I could see playing in 4K on a 55" TV from a good 7-8 feet away being completely fine on performance mode.

Last edited:
Caporegime

I could upload a video if you want? Although the goal posts will have moved again I suspect :cry:

PS.

Just in case you aren't aware, you do realise you can switch out dlss files to get improvements in IQ and to reduce/eliminate ghosting?

Again, will come entirely down to the game.....

I'd argue it depends on the distance you play from the screen, I could see playing in 4K on a 55" TV from a good 7-8 feet away being completely fine on performance mode.

This is very true.

Either way, give me dlss performance and max RT settings over native and potato settings any day of the week, each to their own and all that.

Associate
I'd argue it depends on the distance you play from the screen, I could see playing in 5K on a 55" TV from a good 7-8 feet away being completely fine on performance mode.
At 4K performance mode isnt as bad and of course if you are far away from the TV the better it will be. They were mostly responding to the fact people were using it at lower resolutions because it might look "OK" when standing still.

@Nexus18 I don't care what you upload, go talk to Steve and Tim

Permabanned
At 4K performance mode isnt as bad and of course if you are far away from the TV the better it will be. They were mostly responding to the fact people were using it at lower resolutions because it might look "OK" when standing still.

@Nexus18 I don't care what you upload, go talk to Steve and Tim
I tend not to use it, my 6900 XT can cover any game at 1440P and RT depends on the game, some games the 6900 XT is no slouch and it is every bit as fast in RT as my previous RTX 3070 so if I gauge correctly I mostly don't need FSR at my 1440P resolution.

Soldato
RT looks better on than off in Witcher 3 but I don't think it's a game changer, needs heavy image reconstruction to get a decent framerate at 2160p output and the perf tweaks from nexusmods certainly help there. I think DLSS performance mode looks pretty good in this also and noticeably better than FSR2 performance mode.
With the nexusmods ini can get close to 60 fps which is doable on controller, if I was playing on MKB I would ditch the RT and go for 100+ FPS :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
so everything below (and including) a 6900xt and rtx 3070 is a potato RT card.
why the surprise then that the majority of people leave it off?

Should I turn it on in my current games so that developers can save time in the future???

I am not surprised that most don't turn it on at all, as most can't turn it on anyway as they don't have the hardware or the grunt to do so, making that Linus poll worthless. It's silly as obviously most could not turn it on even if they wanted to, so is the result a surprise or meant to prove anything? Not really. But won't stop some using it for point scoring.

The problem is not about turning it on or off. It playing it down and make it sound like it makes no difference etc.

Associate
I am not surprised that most don't turn it on at all, as most can't turn it on anyway as they don't have the hardware or the grunt to do so, making that Linus poll worthless. It's silly as obviously most could not turn it on even if they wanted to, so is the result a surprise or meant to prove anything? Not really. But won't stop some using it for point scoring.

The problem is not about turning it on or off. It playing it down and make it sound like it makes no difference etc.
It's not worthless, it shows the majority don't have the hardware for it yet. And it had nexus getting all upset so that's priceless :cry:
Q2 next year we might start to see some games on unreal engine 5 that might be worth it. But the price of new gpus with greater than 3070/6900xt levels of RT is still too high.
So we have to hope the new engine will be better optimized which is a big ask considering the state of literally every pc release in the last year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom