• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But but but why do developers keep on adding RT to all these games?! It's a gimmick.....

;) :p :cry:

Are they amd sponsored titles? Just if so, sadly, they'll be limited.

But but but why do developers keep on adding RT to all these games?! It's a gimmick.....

;) :p :cry:

Are they amd sponsored titles? Just if so, sadly, they'll be limited.
I think the Resident Evil ones might be :(

Shame as those are the ones I am most excited about. Would love to play them again using DLSS instead of TAA as TAA blurred the hell out of RE2R as I recall.

Been a while since I have not played RE2R so look forward to that with some RT. I actually very recently played RE 2 with the HD texture pack which was fun. Big upgrade in IQ using it.

I think the Resident Evil ones might be :(

Shame as those are the ones I am most excited about. Would love to play them again using DLSS instead of TAA as TAA blurred the hell out of RE2R as I recall.

Been a while since I have not played RE2R so look forward to that with some RT. I actually very recently played RE 2 with the HD texture pack which was fun. Big upgrade in IQ using it.

I agree with all you have said.

I turn off reflections in RE2R and RE3R as they just look terrible.

Here hoping RT fixes that.

I wouldn't get too excited - I suspect the big add for console gamers will be a 60 fps 'performance' mode and a 4k, non-RT 'graphics' mode that uses the high-end PC textures/settings - the RT is likely to be similar to Resi 8 in that they'll add some quarter-res reflections - still, free update is free so there's nothing to complain about here :)

TBF, resident evil village RT was "decent", as in, it still made a noticeable difference to improving visuals, given the fps was already 100+, they could have easily added a lot more RT effects or/and upped the res. and amount of RT reflections.

TBF, resident evil village RT was "decent", as in, it still made a noticeable difference to improving visuals, given the fps was already 100+, they could have easily added a lot more RT effects or/and upped the res. and amount of RT reflections.

image.png

I found it hard to beleive it had RT. Lit surfaces that had no light source, pools of noise, and low resolution reflections. I remember DF being positive about the console versions, but less impressed with the PC version. As you say, FPS took priority and as a AMD sponsored title we had no options to remedy that. I put it aside after hitting the village in the hope it would be improved over time.

I found it hard to beleive it had RT. Lit surfaces that had no light source, pools of noise, and low resolution reflections. I remember DF being positive about the console versions, but less impressed with the PC version. As you say, FPS took priority and as a AMD sponsored title we had no options to remedy that. I put it aside after hitting the village in the hope it would be improved over time.

Part of this is because RT is not applied to everything (this is very common in AMD sponsored games)- it's annoying but we're in the stage where the developer only applies RT to some assets.

RT is dynamic by nature but what developers are doing is using bounding boxes (or bounding volumes) to tell the RT affect which assets it needs to calculate data for from the bounce - so for example you place a light in a room and turn on RT but instead of the scene looking fully dynamic, the RT data is filtered through the bounding box list (a list of assets they want RT applied to) and then the RT data is applied only to assets contained in the list - this is how you can have RT lighting but the light only affects some things in the world

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounding_volume_hierarchy

As for the low resolution, every AMD RT game has that, it's cause the AMD RT guide developers got tell them to set the RT resolution to 25% otherwise the game will be unplayable on AMD GPU if it's much higher

Last edited:
Part of this is because RT is not applied to everything (this is very common in AMD sponsored games)- it's annoying but we're in the stage where the developer only applies RT to some assets.

This is true to nearly all titles with the exceptions being Minecraft RTX and Quake 2 RTX due to the full scene being path traced. The Issue with AMD sponsorship is the lack RT hardware within these AMD, console limited, GPUs.

RT is dynamic by nature but what developers are doing is using bounding boxes (or bounding volumes) to tell the RT affect which assets it needs to calculate data for from the bounce - so for example you place a light in a room and turn on RT but instead of the scene looking fully dynamic, the RT data is filtered through the bounding box list (a list of assets they want RT applied to) and then the RT data is applied only to assets contained in the list - this is how you can have RT lighting but the light only affects some things in the world

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounding_volume_hierarchy

BVs, or buckets as they were called decades ago, are nothing more than simple data grouping containers that are used to improve search algorithms. The idea being that there is no need to search through the whole scene for collisions on each ray when you can just search within the current container, a smaller subset of the scene. The length, number of splits and the number of bounces will determine what is lit by the initial ray, which can pass through many of these containers. There can be is an exception to this, decals or 2d sprites, such as bullet holes that are added to a scene without full geometry, which is why you don't see them reflected in Control.

As for the low resolution, every AMD RT game has that, it's cause the AMD RT guide developers got tell them to set the RT resolution to 25% otherwise the game will be unplayable on AMD GPU if it's much higher

This isn't such a bad thing as it caters well for lower end hardware. The frustration is to have hardware capable of much more, e.g. Ampere, be restricted due to AMD sponsorshp. Why not have a resolution slider for such that would allow, both current and future hardware, far better results? We know why, it would put AMD's performance behind Nvidia by up to 50%. I did warn, around the launch of RDNA2 and much to the horror of many, that AMD would hold back PC gaming. Well, tada!, this is what AMD holding back PC gaming looks like.

Last edited:
AMD have 4? RT'ing titles, AMD should request adding a RT'ing slider to their titles so that a tiny fraction of the user market=high end Ampere can use more RT'ing?

Why don't Nv add a slider?

Because Nv adding a slider that helps their lower end RTX AND AMD user base to reduce the rt'ing performance hit is not going to happen.

If AMD add a CP RT'ing slider-like they did with tes to combat heavy tes GW titles, that'll be a riot.

AMD have 4? RT'ing titles, AMD should request adding a RT'ing slider to their titles so that a tiny fraction of the user market=high end Ampere can use more RT'ing?

Because Nv adding a slider that helps their lower end RTX AND AMD user base to reduce the rt'ing performance hit is not going to happen.

If AMD add a CP RT'ing slider-like they did with tes to combat heavy tes GW titles, that'll be a riot.

RTX 3000 is soon to be outpaced by RTX 4000 making the high end basically mid tier...

Use your brain mate.

It's the games that should support higher quality levels. They already have lower settings, in many cases the lowest being called low. You will still have poor quality RT in titles such as RE Village once you upgrade to RDNA3 / Lovelace.

Well AMD are going to need 5-6 times their current RT performance with RDNA3 to stand a chance. It will also be interesting to see what Intel does with it's 2nd gen since they are using dedicated cores for RT.

The "next gen" version of GTA5 launches on March 15th with lots of improvements -

-Faster loading times.
-Increased population and traffic variety.
-Increased vegetation density.
-Improved lighting quality across shadows.
-Water reflections, and other elements.
-Improved anti-aliasing.
-Motion-blur.
-Highly detailed new explosions, fire, and much more.
-Haptic Feedback and dynamic resistance on PS5 controller.
-Tempest 3D positional audio.

Ray tracing will also be added, What type of RT is as of yet unknown but I'd hazard a guess and say reflections, Shadows and maybe RTGI, Right now it is unclear which of the above if any will be making it to PC, Maybe also DLSS and/or FSR if it does ? The Rockstar article only speaks of Xbox Series S/X and PS5 but I'm hoping PC gets this update around the same time.

https://www.rockstargames.com/newsw...months_static_learn-more&utm_content=main-img

The "next gen" version of GTA5 launches on March 15th with lots of improvements -

-Faster loading times.
-Increased population and traffic variety.
-Increased vegetation density.
-Improved lighting quality across shadows.
-Water reflections, and other elements.
-Improved anti-aliasing.
-Motion-blur.
-Highly detailed new explosions, fire, and much more.
-Haptic Feedback and dynamic resistance on PS5 controller.
-Tempest 3D positional audio.

Ray tracing will also be added, What type of RT is as of yet unknown but I'd hazard a guess and say reflections, Shadows and maybe RTGI, Right now it is unclear which of the above if any will be making it to PC, Maybe also DLSS and/or FSR if it does ? The Rockstar article only speaks of Xbox Series S/X and PS5 but I'm hoping PC gets this update around the same time.

https://www.rockstargames.com/newsw...months_static_learn-more&utm_content=main-img
Did they not already release that and it was shunned a few months ago? If this is yet another version then bloody hell Rockstar loves milking that game :cry:

Will be funny if on PC you need to pay for it :p

Did they not already release that and it was shunned a few months ago? If this is yet another version then bloody hell Rockstar loves milking that game :cry:

Will be funny if on PC you need to pay for it :p

They hinted at it "coming soon" a few months ago and got tore a new one by people who probably guessed right that it could be a paid update :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom