• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchmarks, surprisingly AMD doing slightly better than I expected, suppose the RT is limited compared to likes of cp 2077, control, dl 2 etc. though

From videos that I've seen so far it looks as though it relies on a lot of pre rendered / baked lighting. I thought it was an asset flip when I fist saw the trailer. I'll give it a go when it goes on sale.

From videos that I've seen so far it looks as though it relies on a lot of pre rendered / baked lighting. I thought it was an asset flip when I fist saw the trailer. I'll give it a go when it goes on sale.

Yup it is a bit light on the whole as I noticed some reflections disappearing depending on angle/position i.e. the good old SSR trait.

It's a lovely looking game on the whole though especially with hdr.

Not that anyone is left playing now.... but division 2 getting dlss. Think apparently it is integrated into the massive engine.

I was late getting in to it, but still managed to log 533 hours. I really enjoyed the single player PVE, only stopping when they messed with the DLC content 'The Underground' which had its difficulty reduced.

I was late getting in to it, but still managed to log 533 hours. I really enjoyed the single player PVE, only stopping when they messed with the DLC content 'The Underground' which had its difficulty reduced.
Does that mean you missed Division 2 and the expansion? If you did it might be worth giving them a ago. The story is not as good but the gameplay is better and PVE is improved. Its worth going back to go up to the tower to floor 100 at least once.

Path tracing has been a thing for a few years now but it makes ray tracing look very simple in terms of performance needed, It'll be a very long time before we have cores in GPU's that can do both RT and PT with decent levels of performance on anything newer than the OG DOOM.

Main feature for rtx4000: Pathtracing

Yup looking likely, a 4060/4070 could be a superb card/upgrade, even for 3090 users, might even get more of a boost going to that than you would from a 3080 to a 3090, not to mention price wise..... :cry:

Ghostwire benchmark/testing from PCGH:

https://www.computerbase.de/2022-04...arks_in_full_hd_wqhd_und_ultra_hd_mit_rt_hoch

ACSFX8b.png

Jc5T3TJ.png

oDsFEmC.png

9MtRBdG.png

FSR does not convince
The loser of the three techniques is quickly found: AMD's FSR is clearly inferior to both DLSS and TSR. And that's not surprising, because as a spatial upscaling, FSR, unlike the other two methods, cannot access the information from previous frames. One of the consequences of this is that there is no temporal reconstruction. Fine lines, some of which are no longer displayed correctly with the native resolution, lose even more structure with FSR.

On top of that, FSR gets very muddy in low resolutions. Since FSR sharpens properly on "Ultra Quality" and FSR on "Quality" in Ultra HD, this is not noticeable in either mode. However, all other or a lower target resolution clearly lose sharpness and thus details. Since the game's own anti-aliasing works well, the temporal stability in Ultra HD with FSR UQ and FSR Q is not a big problem, but the graphics then flicker visibly with more aggressive settings.

TSR has problems but makes a good impression
TSR is consistently preferable to FSR in terms of image quality. Always. In every resolution and with every setting. The temporal peculiarities bring many advantages, there are only a few disadvantages in Ghostwire: Tokyo. For example, TSR can restore fine lines and is significantly better in this regard, even in Ultra HD and in the performance setting and thus a rendering resolution of Full HD, than native Ultra HD with four times the number of pixels.

In addition, there is hardly any loss of image sharpness with TSR, even with TSR set to "Performance" in Ultra HD, the image is just as sharp as with the native Ultra HD resolution. And the image stability is also very good, only with TSR on "Performance" does it get worse in Ultra HD and there is slight flickering, which is still better than with FSR on "Ultra Quality".

However, there are two disadvantages with TSR: The upsampling cannot reconstruct the raytracing reflections well, there just as many details are lost compared to the native resolution as with FSR (and DLSS). And some objects show ghosting in motion, which is good to see in places. With TSR on "Quality" this is still within limits in Ultra HD, but with TSR on "Performance" it is clearly noticeable.

DLSS is the winner, but only just
TSR and Nvidia's DLSS then differ optically in more detail, both technologies have their advantages and disadvantages. DLSS offers the same advantages as TSR in terms of temporal stability, reconstruction and image sharpness at low resolutions and is slightly better in terms of reconstruction at aggressive settings such as "Performance" in Ultra HD or a lower target resolution. However, the differences are small and non-existent in terms of image sharpness.

On the other hand, TSR has small advantages when it comes to temporal stability. DLSS flickers slightly more on aggressive settings, but this only applies to individual objects in the game. With a view to ghosting, DLSS has the edge, but is also not completely free of the problem. With TSR, more objects are simply affected by the problem than with DLSS. Finally, it's worth noting that from DLSS on "Performance" in Ultra HD or a target resolution of WQHD and below, some ray-traced reflections flicker strangely, which is not the case with TSR and FSR.

With 8 GB you are prepared for everything
8 GB should be sufficient for Ghostwire: Tokyo in all situations, including the use of raytracing. At the latest with 10 GB you are on the safe side even in Ultra HD. Because the graphics card addresses up to around 9 GB of memory, the editors could not find any problems with 8 GB either. For Full HD and WQHD even 6 GB is sufficient. 8 GB is recommended for WQHD with ray tracing.

Not sure whether this is the place to put it but is anyone getting frametime stutter in pretty much every game?

I know a lot of stutter is down to shader compilation, and general asset streaming due to i/o bottlenecks but I'm getting it even in Doom Eternal.

I looked at a few youtube videos to see if they had similar and I can see the frametime spikes as they transition to new areas, or even chainsaw kills with enemies.

It's annoying

Not sure whether this is the place to put it but is anyone getting frametime stutter in pretty much every game?

I know a lot of stutter is down to shader compilation, and general asset streaming due to i/o bottlenecks but I'm getting it even in Doom Eternal.

I looked at a few youtube videos to see if they had similar and I can see the frametime spikes as they transition to new areas, or even chainsaw kills with enemies.

It's annoying

What GPU and Res?

Only stutter I get is from the shader compilation or a new area loading in certain games, mainly unreal engine ones, df show and explain it well.

Doom eternal is very smooth on the whole for me, can see some of my footage here:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35529470

What GPU and Res?

Only stutter I get is from the shader compilation or a new area loading in certain games, mainly unreal engine ones, df show and explain it well.

Doom eternal is very smooth on the whole for me, can see some of my footage here:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35529470

I use a 3090 at 3840x2160.

I even get it regularly in GTA V.

Yeah as you say unreal engine gmaes tend to suffer from it a lot. One of the worst had to be Borderlands 3. Tina Wonderlands is far better in that regard despite being on the same engine, but I still get stutter walking up to vending machines, and when weapons spawn from enemies.

edit: just had a look at one of your videos and I noticed what I'm seeing in my games, so I'd say it's the game engine.

I've screenshotted the spike in the frametime graph, it's smack bang in the middle. I cap my fps to get consistent frametimes so in doom I set rtss to 100 and still get those spikes like that.

Last edited:
I use a 3090 at 3840x2160.

I even get it regularly in GTA V.

Yeah as you say unreal engine gmaes tend to suffer from it a lot. One of the worst had to be Borderlands 3. Tina Wonderlands is far better in that regard despite being on the same engine, but I still get stutter walking up to vending machines, and when weapons spawn from enemies.

edit: just had a look at one of your videos and I noticed what I'm seeing in my games, so I'd say it's the game engine.

I've screenshotted the spike in the frametime graph, it's smack bang in the middle. I cap my fps to get consistent frametimes so in doom I set rtss to 100 and still get those spikes like that.

What CPU and RAM? Any overclocks?

The occasional spike is normal enough but if you're getting it regularly like every few seconds then something isn't quite right.

6800xt also sees similar spikes as my 3080 footage:

So might just be a game thing.

Some games are perfectly smooth with zero spikes at all but sadly majority of them all have it to some extent.

Unless I misunderstood something that is one very badly written article. Isn't Path Tracing just a more version of Ray Tracing. In over simple terms Ray Tracing is sending out 1 ray per pixel while Path tracing is sending out 10's of rays per pixel. Its the same tech just a more processor intensive version with better results. Path tracing is just a type of Ray Tracing, its not a replacement different tech to Ray Tracing. Its more of a setting to do with how many Ray Tracing rays are being used.

Last edited:
Main feature for rtx4000: Pathtracing
Pathtracing is ray tracing so if it can pathtrace at useable speeds then current ray tracing games are going to be ungodly fast. Something crasy like 500% faster at current game ray tracing. That's a pretty big jump for one generation. Path tracing is more about raw ray tracing power rather then a standalone feature. Any current GPU that can Ray Trace can do Pathtracing.

What CPU and RAM? Any overclocks?

The occasional spike is normal enough but if you're getting it regularly like every few seconds then something isn't quite right.

6800xt also sees similar spikes as my 3080 footage:

So might just be a game thing.

Some games are perfectly smooth with zero spikes at all but sadly majority of them all have it to some extent.

Hi Nexus thanks for the reply.

I was getting spikes very regularly, and in every game. I managed to find the cause of my issue and it turns out it was having afterburner open as opposed to minimised.

Really weird but the spikes have reduced dramatically, now it was just the normal ones like transitioning to a new area.

Last edited:
Unless I misunderstood something that is one very badly written article. Isn't Path Tracing just a more version of Ray Tracing. In over simple terms Ray Tracing is sending out 1 ray per pixel while Path tracing is sending out 10's of rays per pixel. Its the same tech just a more processor intensive version with better results. Path tracing is just a type of Ray Tracing, its not a replacement different tech to Ray Tracing. Its more of a setting to do with how many Ray Tracing rays are being used.
Pathtracing is ray tracing so if it can pathtrace at useable speeds then current ray tracing games are going to be ungodly fast. Something crasy like 500% faster at current game ray tracing. That's a pretty big jump for one generation. Path tracing is more about raw ray tracing power rather then a standalone feature. Any current GPU that can Ray Trace can do Pathtracing.

Pretty much. We only have 3/4 path tracing games right now, iirc: doom, quake, mario and serious sam? But as expected, extremely hard to run hence why path tracing in any modern game will be a long way of :(

Hi Nexus thanks for the reply.

I was getting spikes very regularly, and in every game. I managed to find the cause of my issue and it turns out it was having afterburner open as opposed to minimised.

Really weird but the spikes have reduced dramatically, now it was just the normal ones like transitioning to a new area.

Ah odd that, can't say I've noticed many issues with AB, make sure your polling rate isn't too high as iirc, some find setting it too low can cause those kinds of issues.

Path tracing I think the rays are traced from the source of light bouncing around the scene.

In Ray Tracing the rays go from the camera (players view) and bounce around the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom