• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, loved the Witcher. Absolutely loved it.

I thought the whole point of games were to invoke your imagination? I don't disagree with the intelligence aspect, (Just use witcher sense for 90% of puzzles) but the world itself is enthralling.
Different strokes for different folks. With wisdom I would say imagination aids intelligence. I prefer both.

Would be nice. But I doubt it. Maybe PS7 though :)

Depends how tech advances, I'd say is a given if AMD manages to make a truly chiplet design GPU.

They would need hardware that makes even next gen AMD and Nvidia look like toys to be able to do purely RT.

You can always use DLSS and FSR and whatever will be around that time. Right now I can play on 5760*1080 (so about 75% of 4k) @60fps with lower settings in heavy areas Metro EE (and DLSS on performance). CP2077 is about a 30fps experience. That is on a standard RTX2080 - you know, the series that "can't really do RTX" as some would say.
3060ti is a bit faster and is, basically, the low end for gamers on current gen. Next gen will probably be around 80-100% faster an so on. Ergo, about 3 gens from now a x60ti class card should do nicely 4k@60fps, even if not native. However, 30fps was always a "good enough" option for consoles...

Plus, once devs get around using it, you get the benefit of optimizations that come naturally as you learn to better use the tech.

The biggest PLUS I would say would be a much easier and faster process to create games. :)

Never had this issue and I played a stealth run all the way through. In what region was this? If it's what I think then probably the ship section in the Caspian, though I should note that level is very much designed around light-manipulation so you might have had issues if you went in gung-ho. In fact I could see the previous Lighthouse section also having such moments towards the end. Also worth mentioning that I purposefully played it only at night with no ambient light & in HDR for maximum effect. Truly a delight! :)

Btw, if it is those moments I'm not sure the new RT would help as much given that it has a timed delay before enough rays accumulate.

F.ex. (sadly can't embed it):
At the beginning when you get captured and you go through the yard, the train raid out of Moscow, but also in general dark areas. Enemies would see me easier than I would see them when playing with standard rasterization. At least that was my experience. :)

The biggest PLUS I would say would be a much easier and faster process to create games. :)

This is largely why we are seeing RT so much now and we'll start to now see rasterization phased out more and more over the coming years.

You just can't beat the time saving it provides for developers thus significantly less money spent from the studios/publishers:

XMbGFnt.png

And that's just for that 1 frame/scene.....

This is largely why we are seeing RT so much now and we'll start to now see rasterization phased out more and more over the coming years.

You just can't beat the time saving it provides for developers thus significantly less money spent from the studios/publishers:

XMbGFnt.png

And that's just for that 1 frame/scene.....
And it also looks better! :)
Later down the road I'm expecting games that will be RT/PT only.

Not a nvidia/rtx thing but a very good video on a great game where they talk about creating the game world of the ascent:

Haven't finished the video yet but imagine there might be some mention of ray tracing since the game uses a fair bit.

Not RT but destroy all humans 2 benchmark:

Also....

Death Stranding May Be Getting Ray Tracing Support

Based on the information on Steamdb, it’s not clear what type of ray tracing features would be added to the game. Ray traced global illumination would likely require significant changes to the lighting model. Ray traced reflections and/or shadows, on the other hand, seem more likely.

Not played this myself but meaning to give it a try.

Not RT but destroy all humans 2 benchmark:

Also....

Death Stranding May Be Getting Ray Tracing Support

Not played this myself but meaning to give it a try.
It's currently on Game Pass if that helps. Death Stranding is a beautiful and atmospheric game, though for me it wasn't particularly fun.

It'll be good to see Ray Tracing applied to this though.

It's currently on Game Pass if that helps. Death Stranding is a beautiful and atmospheric game, though for me it wasn't particularly fun.

It'll be good to see Ray Tracing applied to this though.

That's the only reason I would be giving it a go, gamepass has been great value :D Have seen a lot of people say "walking sim", which has put me of.

RTGI for the atmosphere and RT reflections for the water and metallic surfaces would both be very nice in this game.

Yeah, but ultimately it is a walking simulator no? Might as well just grab your coat and go outside for a walk yourself. Best gfx I promise you. Top notch RTGI and reflections. Almost life like.

We heard the same with the 2000 series, Then the same with the 3000 series, I'll only believe something like this when I see proof and not speculation.

It could be very likely 40xx will be the turing for path tracing i.e. maybe a couple of games but don't expect good performance.

Would be good timing too since nvidia have done a couple of these path tracing demos recently.

It could be very likely 40xx will be the turing for path tracing i.e. maybe a couple of games but don't expect good performance.

Would be good timing too since nvidia have done a couple of these path tracing demos recently.

I think they should get RT down completely first before moving onto something even more computationally expensive. Yeah sure I can turn on all RT options in Spiderman maxed out at 1440P and get a solid 60FPS but even then it's RT reflections of building windows I pass at 100MPH :D

Last edited:
Not nvidia RTX related but interesting article on ray tracing being used in films:

Australian Film is World’s First to Use Real-Time Ray Tracing in Production

The real-time projection system gave the lead actors (who were children aged 9 and 12) more direction for interacting with other characters within the fantasy world of the film. This is in contrast to how films such as the Star Wars trilogy prequels were shot, which famously used large green and blue screen sets that gave actors very little feedback to the scenes in which they were interacting.

Especially this bit, can only imagine the savings they made :eek:

The use of the technology not only helped the actors as the film team was shooting, but it also reduced the post-production time by more than 300 days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom