• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ah de gustibus. I also have a youtube video that shows you
overall the full raytracing is better for the game, it mentions your criticism but it counters by saying that it actually improves the game much more than not and adds a lot to the realism.

The clip you sent me looks more natural on the right with the enhanced version.
. i can't link a clip of mine off youtube at the moment as I'm busy but it's there.

Overall the full raytracing is better for the game imo. :)

Not to mention when you look at the light sources in that scene, it looks much more realistic/natural:

Xo3RDJo.png

Same scene/area but to right of the girl so you can see the light sources:

SoyRHgn.png

I can see why people would prefer the non RT version though, as it is definitely more "vibrant" and contrasty, like with all RT, I find the benefit is much better when moving about the environment for yourself and seeing the way the light, shadows etc. bounce/react as you move through:

jGTw4ZP.png

dS86mBo.png

3p3NAMa.png

Personally the enhanced edition made the game atmosphere far better and I felt way more immersed, so much that I finished it this time.

Not to mention when you look at the light sources in that scene, it looks much more realistic/natural:

Xo3RDJo.png

Same scene/area but to right of the girl so you can see the light sources:

SoyRHgn.png

I can see why people would prefer the non RT version though, as it is definitely more "vibrant" and contrasty, like with all RT, I find the benefit is much better when moving about the environment for yourself and seeing the way the light, shadows etc. bounce/react as you move through:

jGTw4ZP.png

dS86mBo.png

3p3NAMa.png

Personally the enhanced edition made the game atmosphere far better and I felt way more immersed, so much that I finished it this time.

mm..yeah looking at your post I would say that I am of the same thinking as you and 'with thinking about it' can understand why people could like the non-rt with it being more "vibrant" and "contrasty.".

Yep for me personally as well..makes the same atmosphere far better and way more immersed, and this time I think I'm going to try and complete it.

GPU-Z's latest update 2.48.0 has a new DLSS section under the advanced tab that scans your system for games with DLSS and reports which version you are running, It gives you the option of opening that folder should you wish to replace the dll with a newer downloaded version you can get from Techpowerups database, Pretty nifty.

GPU-Z's latest update 2.48.0 has a new DLSS section under the advanced tab that scans your system for games with DLSS and reports which version you are running, It gives you the option of opening that folder should you wish to replace the dll with a newer downloaded version you can get from Techpowerups database, Pretty nifty.
Nice! I have a different approach - I use mklink to point all my DLSS games at a single nvngx_dlss.dll - I can update them all at once by replacing that one DLL :)

The enhanced version has a more advanced raytracing implementation but that doesn't mean it's better suited to the game. Remember that the game was authored without it in mind and the art direction was established for the first version. In particular a lot of scenes that would otherwise be in shadow are now blown up, thus imo the atmosphere of the game suffers. Ultimately - de gustibus.

I remember playing the original game with RT and while it looked good, in some areas was too dark to the point the enemies would see you and you would not see them. For me it felt like it was designed for non-RT overall and then it suffered because of it. Best version, for me, is the Enhanced Edition as it's the best for both worlds.

I remember playing the original game with RT and while it looked good, in some areas was too dark to the point the enemies would see you and you would not see them. For me it felt like it was designed for non-RT overall and then it suffered because of it. Best version, for me, is the Enhanced Edition as it's the best for both worlds.
yes it wasn't a full implemention .Yes agree but as I say I can see why people might like the original but yes same.

Digital Foundry has an excellent video on Metro Exodus Enhanced - the Enhanced edition didn't just have RT shoehorned into it - the entire game was re-lit to take advantage of an RT-workflow - not just for Exodus but also as a test bed for future projects from the studio.

Digital Foundry has an excellent video on Metro Exodus Enhanced - the Enhanced edition didn't just have RT shoehorned into it - the entire game was re-lit to take advantage of an RT-workflow - not just for Exodus but also as a test bed for future projects from the studio.

Most likely PS6 and XBOX will be RT only, so to start early :)

Thing is when done with purely RT in mind and built from the ground up, the RT version performed better than the non enhanced version as per DF video above there, iirc, this was also the case for amd gpus (when hairworks was turned off) so I would say RT only isn't that far off from a performance POV especially when developers get to grips with how to get the best from new tech. (I believe 4a also made a comment on how there is a lot of untapped potential on consoles when it comes to RT [obviously within reason given they are powered by amd though :p]), they have had years to get the best from rasterization where as with RT, we're still very much just at the tip of the iceberg.

Never had this issue and I played a stealth run all the way through. In what region was this? If it's what I think then probably the ship section in the Caspian, though I should note that level is very much designed around light-manipulation so you might have had issues if you went in gung-ho. In fact I could see the previous Lighthouse section also having such moments towards the end. Also worth mentioning that I purposefully played it only at night with no ambient light & in HDR for maximum effect. Truly a delight! :)

Btw, if it is those moments I'm not sure the new RT would help as much given that it has a timed delay before enough rays accumulate.

F.ex. (sadly can't embed it):

The most overrated game of all time is coming earlier, what a surprise :D

Indeed! I have tried witcher 3 many times now but it bores me to death with the pointless 15 minutes of waffling dialogue with every single npc you interact with, the clunky combat system, poor UI/HUD but I am looking forward to seeing how it looks with ray tracing, hopefully there will be some improvements to the game mechanics in combat etc. which will make it more bearable.

Indeed! I have tried witcher 3 many times now but it bores me to death with the pointless 15 minutes of waffling dialogue with every single npc you interact with, the clunky combat system, poor UI/HUD but I am looking forward to seeing how it looks with ray tracing, hopefully there will be some improvements to the game mechanics in combat etc. which will make it more bearable.
The combat was so woeful, I like games that engage your brain, all Witcher 3 does is invoke your imagination, it does not inspire the player to intelligently work through anything, it is just "Listen" but "Don't find other ways to play it".

The most non RPG RPG ever.

Another reason Doom Eternal sucked to me, the gameplay loop is rigid and made purposefully for one way of playing only, if you deviate and use your own mind you are actively punished.

The combat was so woeful, I like games that engage your brain, all Witcher 3 does is invoke your imagination, it does not inspire the player to intelligently work through anything, it is just "Listen" but "Don't find other ways to play it".

The most non RPG RPG ever.

Another reason Doom Eternal sucked to me, the gameplay loop is rigid and made purposefully for one way of playing only, if you deviate and use your own mind you are actively punished.

Wash your mouthes out. It won peoples GOAT here didn't ya know? :cry:

I enjoyed it, takes a while to get into, but GOAT? No chance. I am enjoying HZD a lot more for example and still feel my GOAT is Deus Ex :D

Nope, loved the Witcher. Absolutely loved it.
I thought the whole point of games were to invoke your imagination? I don't disagree with the intelligence aspect, (Just use witcher sense for 90% of puzzles) but the world itself is enthralling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom