• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good to see another developer speaking out on the benefits of RT and why it is important going forward :cool:

To stay true to the world of Warhammer 40,000 one has to make the grim world of the far future dark. But how do you do dark, darkness just being the absence of light? Our answer to that question would probably be - you do it by making the few light sources there better, more living and eye-catching.

Thus, we needed to improve our ambient lighting model which in Vermintide 2 mostly consisted of very sparse baked probe information and global ambient light overrides. In essence we wanted to get global illumination into our scenes and make sure objects placed in our worlds felt like they contributed to the lighting in the scene accurately. With more accurate ambient lighting one also cannot forget about the specular lighting and reflections which play a big role in making our scenes feel coherent. It became obvious that we had to make big improvements here to make sure that we live up to everything that makes Warhammer 40,000 the grim dark world it should be.

Luckily there was a good candidate technology for solving this problem. ray tracing and specifically RTXGI for global illumination (GI).

Ray tracing just started to become a well established component for rendering in games, especially with an explosion in terms of hardware support. Ray tracing is also compelling from a rendering development standpoint because it provides a unified solution for complex corner cases that arise when doing more traditional rasterized rendering.

Partnering up with NVIDIA we opted to support ray tracing in our renderer and ended up implementing both RTXGI and raytraced reflections to boot. This also lays the groundwork needed for us to continue experimenting with additional ray tracing features down the line which carries the promise of further improving things like shadows, transparency rendering and VFX (visual effects such as particles).

Another added benefit of the RTXGI implementation we ended up going with is actually that we decided to replace our baked ambient light solution with baked RTXGI probe grids. This allows us to use RTX cards on our development machines to quickly bake GI that can be applied to our scenes even for gpus that do not have enough power to push advanced ray tracing features like this. You won’t get the added benefit of the GI being fully dynamic that you get if you have a powerful gpu in your machine of course but the static GI still retains the nice dark feeling in our scenes that would otherwise be very flat and boring.

Pi5C4po.jpg

I'm loving all this RT goodness being announced recently :cool:

Splinter Cell Remake Features Ray-Tracing, Innovative Tech/Gameplay Ideas

The Splinter Cell Remake will also support modern graphical features, including ray-tracing for global illumination and audio occlusion. In a stealth focused game like Splinter Cell, the physically-correct presence of light, shadow, and sound could prove to be a real game changer for the gameplay experience.

AMD Finally Opens Up Its Radeon Raytracing Analyzer "RRA" Source Code

Last edited:
Darktide is demanding as all hell, with everything up Max with RT it makes cyberpunk look like minesweeper in terms of performance.

I think they’ve got some optimisation to do.

Have read mixed reports on it, some say it runs great for them, others say it is terrible :confused:

Will be playing later on or tomorrow :)

Let me know how it goes, I had it on pre order but then cancelled as it was cheaper elsewhere and thought I am in no rush anyway. Can be had for £28 from voidu at the moment. But get the feeling it will be sub £20 in 3-6 months.

Let me know how it compares to the original as I would not mind some web slinging action. Does it or will it support mods?

Great & VERY extensive testing on Miles Morales here:

Fancy textures require more than 8GB of VRAM​

Spider-Man: Miles Morales has very detailed textures in places that also take up quite a bit of graphics card memory. And so it is that 8GB is not enough for mindless gaming. GeForce graphics cards with this memory configuration start off well, but beware if a graphics option is changed - then the memory immediately overflows. And even after some playing time, Miles Morales isn't doing quite as well. On a graphics card with only 8 GB of memory, the texture details should simply be reduced immediately.

With 10 GB and thus the GeForce RTX 3080, there are no longer any problems without ray tracing. With the rays, the graphics card is immediately at its limit. If you then change a graphics option, you will also immediately run into a lack of memory. It is also possible that the memory will overflow after a while and the performance will deteriorate. Therefore, the recommendation for a 10 GB graphics card is to reduce the texture detail by one level when ray tracing.

With 12 GB you are consistently on the safe side. Native Ultra HD resolution with maximum ray tracing details runs absolutely flawlessly, even if some options are constantly being changed.

Poor Nexus. 10GB is no longer enough! But 12 is ;)

:cry::cry::cry:

What's actually interesting is that in some games, like control, the 4090 is 50% ahead of the 4080 and when RT is enabled because the 4080 doesn't have as much bandwidth

Poor Nexus. 10GB is no longer enough! But 12 is ;)

:cry::cry::cry:
Always told them 10gb isn't enough, poor guys didn't listen

Seems like poor everyone with last gen gpus, more grunt required! :cry:

ict69MF.png

DgVxEsA.png

Not come across this benchmark site before, seems quite good:

nQYGjrw.png

LMZ2Fni.png

4080 ti can't come soon enough! :p

Weird how a 4080 doesn't look to be performing that much better than a 3080 :confused:

Uploading 4k with dlss quality video soon, can't say I encountered any"obvious" vram issues, only lack of grunt on my end.

Let me know how it goes, I had it on pre order but then cancelled as it was cheaper elsewhere and thought I am in no rush anyway. Can be had for £28 from voidu at the moment. But get the feeling it will be sub £20 in 3-6 months.

Let me know how it compares to the original as I would not mind some web slinging action. Does it or will it support mods?

It's pretty much the exact same game, just new content and snowy winter setting.

Only played for bit so far but so far but seems they need to do some work as:

- dlss and fsr don't look as good as they did in the first one especially if using lesser presets, main issue I have is the moire effect around likes of Miles
- I know this has got RT shadows now but aside from that, game seems to not run anywhere as well as the first one despite the rest of the visuals being the exact same, only thing that could explain this is the different setting i.e. snow/winter vs summer? Maybe the weather particle effect might be hampering performance more? Suppose DF will confirm when they bring their video out

Even reading on frame generation, it seems to not work as well as it did in the first one?

Have no doubt we'll see more patches to improve things though.

Investigating Nvidia's Raytracing Performance​

As mentioned in another thread, guy has some good theories but often is very wrong i.e. apparently he made a statement in that video "RT is 20 years away", see metro ee and how it runs on consoles, yup 20 years away :cry:

Last edited:
As mentioned in another thread, guy has some good theories but often is very wrong i.e. apparently he made a statement in that video "RT is 20 years away", see metro ee and how it runs on consoles, yup 20 years away :cry:

I think he means full path tracing is 20 years away if we keep increasing RT performance as we are seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom