• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "next gen" version of GTA5 launches on March 15th with lots of improvements -

-Faster loading times.
-Increased population and traffic variety.
-Increased vegetation density.
-Improved lighting quality across shadows.
-Water reflections, and other elements.
-Improved anti-aliasing.
-Motion-blur.
-Highly detailed new explosions, fire, and much more.
-Haptic Feedback and dynamic resistance on PS5 controller.
-Tempest 3D positional audio.

Ray tracing will also be added, What type of RT is as of yet unknown but I'd hazard a guess and say reflections, Shadows and maybe RTGI, Right now it is unclear which of the above if any will be making it to PC, Maybe also DLSS and/or FSR if it does ? The Rockstar article only speaks of Xbox Series S/X and PS5 but I'm hoping PC gets this update around the same time.

https://www.rockstargames.com/newsw...months_static_learn-more&utm_content=main-img

This will be interesting, will non RT lighting be nerfed? How will it compare to lighting in modded GTA5?

PC GTA5 already uses MSAA, so it be interesting what their proposed improved AA is, if its TAA I will laugh. :)

This will be interesting, will non RT lighting be nerfed? How will it compare to lighting in modded GTA5?

PC GTA5 already uses MSAA, so it be interesting what their proposed improved AA is, if its TAA I will laugh. :)

Some people will no doubt claim that GTA 5 lighting etc. was intentionally nerfed in anticipation for RT all them years ago!!!! :cry: ;) :p :D

It'll be an interesting one if all that is true as I quite like the artistic look of stock GTA 5, it is a bit cartoonish especially at night but it works well and looks good, assuming they add RT lighting, shadows, GI etc., it will completely change how the game looks.

Modded GTA 5 looks fantastic but it won't compare to a good RT implementation.

I installed it yesterday in preparation for this update, had a quick blast and performance as one would expect is pretty much fantastic on todays modern hardware so would expect them to be able to add a fair amount of RT graphical effects especially if they add dlss/fsr to bring the performance back up.

In terms of AA, GTA 5 could really benefit from a good TAA implementation tbf as even with 8xMSAA, there is still a lot of jaggies (even at 4k), not to mention perf. gets hammered with 8x, enabling FXAA reduces jaggies overall but then the whole image takes a hit for clarity, enabling nvidias MFAA alongside MSAA does a pretty good job of reducing jaggies though. Hopefully DLAA will be what they are referring to.

I was one of those who had a GTX 480 back in the day and wanted visuals like this..

In game though if you want to enjoy it, you either turn the pomp right down or off as it looks terrible.

People also have a bad idea of how real real life is..

"Looking 100% graphicly, it looks just like it's been captured from the real world O.o"

LOL!

Some people will no doubt claim that GTA 5 lighting etc. was intentionally nerfed in anticipation for RT all them years ago!!!! :cry: ;) :p :D

It'll be an interesting one if all that is true as I quite like the artistic look of stock GTA 5, it is a bit cartoonish especially at night but it works well and looks good, assuming they add RT lighting, shadows, GI etc., it will completely change how the game looks.

Modded GTA 5 looks fantastic but it won't compare to a good RT implementation.

I installed it yesterday in preparation for this update, had a quick blast and performance as one would expect is pretty much fantastic on todays modern hardware so would expect them to be able to add a fair amount of RT graphical effects especially if they add dlss/fsr to bring the performance back up.

In terms of AA, GTA 5 could really benefit from a good TAA implementation tbf as even with 8xMSAA, there is still a lot of jaggies (even at 4k), not to mention perf. gets hammered with 8x, enabling FXAA reduces jaggies overall but then the whole image takes a hit for clarity, enabling nvidias MFAA alongside MSAA does a pretty good job of reducing jaggies though. Hopefully DLAA will be what they are referring to.

GTA5 is a popular game even after all this time, I didnt realise they updating the existing game, rather than releasing a new one, that would mean people with lower spec machines might get a bit peed they need to upgrade hardware if this enhanced version suddenly runs much slower.

I dont think people will claim original GTA5 is nerfed and that wasnt my comment. My comment was if lighting in GTA5 RT version is as good as lighting in OG version when RT is disabled. Of course to also compare to GTA5 modded which has some really nice lighting, bloom etc. Will they get GTA5 mods taken offline as well? I think they did that the older GTA when the enhanced one's got released?

To me enhanced AA would be one of these. SSAA, SGSSAA or DLAA. MFAA is just MSAA at one level higher, so 2xMSAA with MFAA on is 4xMSAA, MFAA is a performance enhancer for MSAA.

GTA5 is a popular game even after all this time, I didnt realise they updating the existing game, rather than releasing a new one, that would mean people with lower spec machines might get a bit peed they need to upgrade hardware if this enhanced version suddenly runs much slower.

I dont think people will claim original GTA5 is nerfed and that wasnt my comment. My comment was if lighting in GTA5 RT version is as good as lighting in OG version when RT is disabled. Of course to also compare to GTA5 modded which has some really nice lighting, bloom etc. Will they get GTA5 mods taken offline as well? I think they did that the older GTA when the enhanced one's got released?

I know you didn't but I won't be surprised if others make that statement :p :D

Good point though, not sure if this will be releasing as a separate game or just an update, in theory it really should just be an update, they can only get away with releasing/selling the same game so many times....

Assuming it is just an update to the current version, I don't think it'll run any slower unless you choose to use the more graphically intensive settings.

From reading around this update will only be on ps5 and xbox so very doubtful PC will be getting it at least for now. If PC does get it you will need to buy a new game just like on Ps5 and Series x. Ps5 users are getting 3 months free online though so i plan to get all the online stuff done in that time scale.

Just reading on it now, not very clear what is what:

https://www.rockstargames.com/newsw...o-V-Coming-to-New-Generation-Consoles-in-2021

As recently revealed at Sony’s PlayStation 5 digital event, the adventures of Michael, Franklin and Trevor are coming to a new generation of consoles, including PlayStation 5, in the second half of 2021.

The new generation versions of GTAV will feature a range of technical improvements, visual upgrades and performance enhancements to take full advantage of the latest hardware, making the game more beautiful and more responsive than ever.

And for the massive and vibrant community of Grand Theft Auto Online players worldwide, the journey through the ever-evolving, shared world of GTA Online will continue on to the new generation with more new updates including additional GTA Online content exclusive to the new consoles and PC. There will also be a new standalone version of GTA Online coming in the second half of 2021, which will be available for free exclusively for PlayStation 5 players during the first three months.

Additionally, all PlayStation Plus members on PlayStation 4 will get GTA$1,000,000 (deposited into their in-game Maze Bank account within 72 hours of log-in) each month they play GTA Online until the launch of GTA Online on PlayStation 5.

Stay tuned to the Rockstar Newswire for many more details on the new versions of GTAV and much more to come in the months ahead.

Looking at their guide:

Fidelity Mode - Native 4K 30FPS RT on
Performance Mode - Upscaled 4K 60FPS
Performance RT Mode - Upscaled 4K 60FPS RT on

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/84910/gta-has-4k-60fps-raytracing-mode-on-ps5-xbox-series/index.html

Sounds like it is going to be limited RT, possibly something similar to spiderman RT implementation perhaps. If it does arrive to PC, hopefully they give us the option to dial up the RT effects...

This is interesting:

With all the Cyberpunk testing and Benchmarking I have been doing lately, I realized that FSR works better than DLSS performance-wise when you do not use Ray Tracing. Had I used Ray Tracing in this test DLSS would have been faster. FSR Ultra Quality at 4K holds its own and does not get enough credit if you ask me. AMD created something good here but the only catch is for the best result you need to be playing at 4K.

Some randomers comment on that so take with a pinch of salt:

because it's different from rasterization in many ways that fsr has a hard time computing. Just regular reflections is hard for fsr to compute properly. It's where nvidias hardware solution helps because they can have more dedicated computing for that. I just wish they'd improve their calculations for regular rasterization as well because they are falling behind in that area.

I'm expecting good things with RDNA 3 and the next version of FSR.

With regards to the fsr vs dlss comparison in the above video, nothing we don't already know from all the fsr vs dlss comparisons but one thing which doesn't get anywhere near enough praise/attention is temporal stability being far better with dlss, sadly it always come across like most people are only concerned about "sharpness" and even then, they don't realise what "good" sharpening really looks like :cry:

This is interesting:

Some randomers comment on that so take with a pinch of salt:

I'm expecting good things with RDNA 3 and the next version of FSR.

With regards to the fsr vs dlss comparison in the above video, nothing we don't already know from all the fsr vs dlss comparisons but one thing which doesn't get anywhere near enough praise/attention is temporal stability being far better with dlss, sadly it always come across like most people are only concerned about "sharpness" and even then, they don't realise what "good" sharpening really looks like :cry:
That FPS difference is huge...

That FPS difference is huge...

Was going to say bit of an oversight from nvidia but then imo, it is more an oversight from amd given that is why we mainly need dlss/fsr in the first place i.e. to bring performance back up due to how graphically intensive RT is.... :p Although not a surprise given RDNA 2 is not a RT/nextgen focussed GPU like ampere architecture is.

EDIT:

Having said that, this is only one person so far and only based on cyberpunk, would be interesting to see other tech channels do some testing on this in various games.

Last edited:
Was going to say bit of an oversight from nvidia but then imo, it is more an oversight from amd given that is why we mainly need dlss/fsr in the first place i.e. to bring performance back up due to how graphically intensive RT is.... :p Although not a surprise given RDNA 2 is not a RT/nextgen focussed GPU like ampere architecture is.
AMD should promote it, unless this is just something that happened over the course of game patches.

That Dying Light 2 video is awesome, but misleading - whoever made it has done some heavy post-processing to the footage 'cause even with all the RT bells and whistles on, that game doesn't look that good (although it probably could with similar effects in-game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom