• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
Tried your settings out but at my native resolution of 2560x1440. (Which might make up the difference for not having any reshade) Your 2500k is definitely holding you back quite significantly in KCD, I get frame rates similar to yours running all settings at very high. (obviously my V56 is at my normal 1677/1100 that I always run)
Thanks for the comparative mate. I would tend to agree with you that my re-shade vs your higher resolution probably evens out. I would also agree with you that my CPU is holding me back in KCD. BUT...with me only gaming on a 60 FPS monitor IMO it's not that big of a deal (most games do not suffer as bad as KCD). I am soon to be purchasing a freesync monitor and I am hoping that I can stave off a complete upgrade for circa 12 months. Thanks again though for providing me with the aforementioned comparative, very helpful and appreciated.

Associate
It certainly seems like AMD have been overly conservative with the stock settings. Perhaps they've found a lot of duffers in the binning process so gone for a safe default to keep RMAs down. That said, I haven't heard of many people complaining about not being able to get good results with undervolting so I wonder where the bad cards are?
AMD is known for keeping the best silicon for their own initial release cards. The bad cards were the subsequent Gigabyte Partner cards to name the worst. Hundreds if not thousands, repaired and sold as refurbished on Overclockers, ******, eBay, etc etc. Vega had serious issues with power delivery, and VRM temps to name but a few; Vega was bloody expensive to power and cool. Partner manufacturers such as Gigabyte designed cheap boards that simply didn't even work at stock.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-bg-57f-gi.html

OCUK still selling refurb Vega 64's now

Associate
AMD is known for keeping the best silicon for their own initial release cards. The bad cards were the subsequent Gigabyte Partner cards to name the worst. Hundreds if not thousands, repaired and sold as refurbished on Overclockers, ******, eBay, etc etc. Vega had serious issues with power delivery, and VRM temps to name but a few; Vega was bloody expensive to power and cool. Partner manufacturers such as Gigabyte designed cheap boards that simply didn't even work at stock.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...hbm2-pci-express-graphics-card-bg-57f-gi.html
OCUK still selling refurb Vega 64's now

Blimey, if I'd known that I might not have bought one. I guess being 2 years late to the vega party, the issues have been ironed out? Either that or I made a lucky choice on card brand. I decided to finally replace my 2600k rig and 1080p monitor back in May and needed a 1440p card but was too tight to pay nVidia's inflated prices for RTX. Conveniently the Sapphire Pulse was on offer for £250 with 2 games in the 50th anniversary promo so I just bought on a whim with no research. My previous card was a Sapphire RX470 8Gb which was a great card and this hasnt disappointed so far other than starting to show it's age a bit.

Associate
Blimey, if I'd known that I might not have bought one. I guess being 2 years late to the vega party, the issues have been ironed out? Either that or I made a lucky choice on card brand. I decided to finally replace my 2600k rig and 1080p monitor back in May and needed a 1440p card but was too tight to pay nVidia's inflated prices for RTX. Conveniently the Sapphire Pulse was on offer for £250 with 2 games in the 50th anniversary promo so I just bought on a whim with no research. My previous card was a Sapphire RX470 8Gb which was a great card and this hasnt disappointed so far other than starting to show it's age a bit.
I got my 56 Pulse from OC for £200 on a refurb deal circa Feb this year, bloody good card IMO

Associate
Thanks for the comparative mate. I would tend to agree with you that my re-shade vs your higher resolution probably evens out. I would also agree with you that my CPU is holding me back in KCD. BUT...with me only gaming on a 60 FPS monitor IMO it's not that big of a deal (most games do not suffer as bad as KCD). I am soon to be purchasing a freesync monitor and I am hoping that I can stave off a complete upgrade for circa 12 months. Thanks again though for providing me with the aforementioned comparative, very helpful and appreciated.

KCD is indeed one of the worst hit by a quadcore and if you upgraded to 1440p for instance I don't think you'd get any hit in FPS

Associate

I wouldn't worry, the Sapphire cards are considered to have the best components.

Soldato
Guys, have you tried Sapphire's Trixx's, Trixx boost? I've read that it does work with Vega.
You might want give it ago for the free performance boost.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...700-xt-nitro-in-stock.18866141/#post-33045491

Once AMD released RIS for Vega (and I hope they do) you will hardly tell the difference between what's scaled and native resolution.

On Reddit an AMD rep said that if you vote for it on AMD website they would consider adding it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...age/f05x80r?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Here is the link to vote: https://www.feedback.amd.com/se/5A1E27D203B57D32

Good share. Voted. RIS up to 47% now so has to happen for Vega surely? Going to start needing it for upscaling 1080 to 1440 soon :(

Thanks for the votes...it worked!!!!!!!!!

Later today we will be posting Radeon Software version 19.9.3. While this driver update was primarily intended to provide Ghost Recon Breakpoint support we also heard loud and clear (primarily from you reddit users) great demand for Radeon Image Sharpening (RIS) support for Vega class products. I am very happy to announce that today's update will indeed include RIS support for Vega and I further wanted to apologize for miscalculating the order in which we released the supported products.

I hope that everyone that wanted this feature will enjoy it and for those not familiar with it please check it out and let us know your impressions.

Happy Adrenalin-ing

@CatalystMaker
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...ega_driver/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

RIS Inbound for Vega owners. Now you can use Sapphire Trixx, Trixx Boost and enable RIS with a huge performance boost with unnoticeable IQ loss!!!

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
So if i play games with my vega 56 and can use amds version of DSR for better image quality on my 32in IPS freesync monitor does RIS help with image quality as tbh ive not really seen the need for it yet as games look just fine using 4k instead of 2k if the game is playable at that res like poker night in the inventory as thats mainly the main game i play these days lol, just started play div 2 with a mate and can run that 4k at 50fps on medium high ish settings, some other games i dabble in like lately medal of honor from 2010 which looks nice at 4k and trying mafia 2 at 4k tho theres a few issues with the mouse being a bit quick.

Soldato
How much better is the 5700 to the Vega 56? Gaming at 1080p 144hz.
From the reviews I recall it's pretty significant if you go AIB. If you go with a reference card and you win the silicon lottery (slang for getting a good gpu die) then the OC results can pull it away as well. IMHO it's a decent upgrade.

So if i play games with my vega 56 and can use amds version of DSR for better image quality on my 32in IPS freesync monitor does RIS help with image quality as tbh ive not really seen the need for it yet as games look just fine using 4k instead of 2k if the game is playable at that res like poker night in the inventory as thats mainly the main game i play these days lol, just started play div 2 with a mate and can run that 4k at 50fps on medium high ish settings, some other games i dabble in like lately medal of honor from 2010 which looks nice at 4k and trying mafia 2 at 4k tho theres a few issues with the mouse being a bit quick.

Well to be honest any game in 4K is going to look better using AMD's VSR (not sure if you still mean DSR though).
To be honest I haven't tried upscaling the resolution and still enabling RIS. It should work?

Soldato
From the reviews I recall it's pretty significant if you go AIB. If you go with a reference card and you win the silicon lottery (slang for getting a good gpu die) then the OC results can pull it away as well. IMHO it's a decent upgrade.

Hmm. Reference with both due to price.

Its the choice of £220 Vs £320 no sure I'll get any benefit with the extra £100 except it's not EOL

Soldato
Hmm. Reference with both due to price.

Its the choice of £220 Vs £320 no sure I'll get any benefit with the extra £100 except it's not EOL

Was your V56 also reference? If you're going from ref. to ref. then you should be fine. But if you are going to AIB to Ref. then you might want to consider that ref is blower style cooling solution.

Edit:
Both?? Are you saying that one ref. is higher priced then another?

Soldato
Was your V56 also reference? If you're going from ref. to ref. then you should be fine. But if you are going to AIB to Ref. then you might want to consider that ref is blower style cooling solution.

Edit:
Both?? Are you saying that one ref. is higher priced then another?
I don't have either. I've got a 780ti at the moment but looking at an upgrade. Can't decide on what I wanna go too. The v56 is a ref card, the 5700 is a ref card that I'm looking at. £220 Vs £320

Soldato
I don't have either. I've got a 780ti at the moment but looking at an upgrade. Can't decide on what I wanna go too. The v56 is a ref card, the 5700 is a ref card that I'm looking at. £220 Vs £320
Thanks for clarifying that.

So, is it worth it to pay £100 more for the 5700 would be the question right?
Hmm, what refresh rate and resolution is your monitor?

Soldato
1080p 144hz. but yeah. the £100 more is the question
that's easy then...
IMHO get the 5700 and overclock that.
I assume that your monitor can also do 120Hz as well right?
You will have a much easier time getting the 5700 to do 120+ FPS then using the V56 reference.
Even if you stick to 120Hz it's very hard to tell the difference between 120hz and 144hz in gaming when you are above 120 fps IMO. Both 120hz/144hz are butter smooth, even without freesync, when you are above the refresh rate. Just make sure you cap it to either 120fps/144fps.

What games do you play though?
Also, how much more would it be for the XT?

Edit:
Here is a point of reference in performance between the 2
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/rx-5700-xt-review-benchmarks-performance

Last edited:
Associate
RIS Inbound for Vega owners. Now you can use Sapphire Trixx, Trixx Boost and enable RIS with a huge performance boost with unnoticeable IQ loss!!!

So I've just installed 19.9.3 and Sapphire Trixx and run a couple of quick performance tests with Gears 5 and Division 2 which are both DX12 titles that are struggling to get high frame rates with this card. I set an 86% custom resolution (2192x1233) and enabled RIS in AMD settings (Gears 5 didnt provide this exact resolution and so 2204x1240 was selected using the in-game slider). The results compared to native are impressive:

Gears 5......2560x1440....2204x1240
FPS........................66................78
CPU Bound..........0.1%..........0.04%

Division 2....2560x1440...2192x1233
FPS.........................58...............72
CPU .....................56%............51%

In Gears 5 the GPU performance increase is 18% and in Division 2 24%, while CPU utilisation is noticeably reduced in both games. I haven't taken any screenshots and done any detailed visual comparisons yet but I couldn't tell the difference when watching them. RIS could really be the saviour for this card at 1440p and give it a new lease of life for another couple of years. It might also help extend the life of my 6c/6t i5 CPU. Happy days!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom