• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Associate
Well finally decided to buy Vega 56.

Set power to +45%, set both P6 and P7 to 1025 and OC memory to 900 (there was barely any difference from 950). Firestrike graphics score of 22k. Temps on the run are around 74c whilst hot spot is around 85 (should I look at main temps or hot spot?).

Whilst playing Divinity 2 (great game) the fan is a bit of an odd one, it is silent but then ramps up for a minute and then quiets down again, as if temps are no stable and sometimes the fan needs high RPMs to control and sometimes not :confused:

Also, you guys know what that red blue on off thing all about? It doesn't light up for me?

Temps are perfectly fine. Just look at the main temp, 74c is really good.

Turn on Chill in the AMD driver software then create a profile with the Destiny 2 exe and set chill fps levels to max screen refresh rate and min default. This will help with fan noise.

Red/Blue switch is the led next to the power ports. Does it not light up even with the switch set to on?

Soldato
If you can - get the ram speed up to at least 1000 as it does give a good increase in overall speed while not contributing to heat or power usage much. You will likely need the 64 bios for this.

Will give it a go, originally thought no reason to stress the card given that increase in fps is minimal.

There was a bug that if you set both p6 and p7 to the same clocks it wouldn't go higher than p5. Dunno if they fixed that.

The fan thing is kinda normal. Different scenes will load the card more and cause it to heat up.

Ah yes it would make sense, if I remember well p5 on default is 1050mv so yeah I will need to look into that, although gpuz was showing voltage at 1000mv but it probably not an accurate representaiton.

Temps are perfectly fine. Just look at the main temp, 74c is really good.

Turn on Chill in the AMD driver software then create a profile with the Destiny 2 exe and set chill fps levels to max screen refresh rate and min default. This will help with fan noise.

Red/Blue switch is the led next to the power ports. Does it not light up even with the switch set to on?

Set frame rate target control to top of monitor refresh rate for now but yes I wanted to check out how radeon chill will work with vega, how has it been going for you, no framerate drops, everything smooth as butter?

Ahhh so its the switch to turn off / on the leds above the power connectors, yeah they light up 1 led on idle and all of them on full. Thanks for clearing it up

I like the card, what I like more is that it is actually quieter than my xfx GTR 480 (at stock, with custom fan and uv it was quiet). I was afraid of blower cards but they are not so bad after all.

Associate
Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

EuNNNmA.jpg

Date 21/09/2017, Make Reference Air, SHOGUNXSHINOBI, Link
Date 20/09/2017, Make Reference Air, Overlag, Link
Date 15/09/2017, Make Reference Air, Jazz2k, Link
Date 15/09/2017, Make Reference Air, lowdog, Link
Date 13/09/2017, Make Reference Air, Evilmethod666, Link
Date 07/09/2017, Make Reference Air, jimhaumman, Link
Date 05/09/2017, Make Reference Air, FiremanSam, Link
Date 03/09/2017, Make Reference Air, erazor51, Link
Date 03/09/2017, Make Reference Air, Angst, Link
Date 01/09/2017, Make Reference Air, solarp, Link
Date 01/09/2017, Make Reference Air, slunge, Link
Date 01/09/2017, Make Reference Air, Narrack, Link
Date 01/09/2017, Make Reference Air, Daiyus, Link
Date 31/08/2017, Make Reference Air, icey_haj, Link
Date 31/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Vince, Link
Date 31/08/2017, Make Reference Air, sideways14a, Link
Date 31/08/2017, Make Reference Air, MagicBoy, Link
Date 31/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Roob65, Link
Date 31/08/2017, Make Reference Air, sjones1404, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, bells, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Sybra, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, docsonic, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, Disjunto, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, old gamer, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, FelixB, Link
Date 29/08/2017, Make Reference Air, megatron, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Vega 56.

Thanks man. :)

Associate
Set frame rate target control to top of monitor refresh rate for now but yes I wanted to check out how radeon chill will work with vega, how has it been going for you, no framerate drops, everything smooth as butter?

Ahhh so its the switch to turn off / on the leds above the power connectors, yeah they light up 1 led on idle and all of them on full. Thanks for clearing it up

I like the card, what I like more is that it is actually quieter than my xfx GTR 480 (at stock, with custom fan and uv it was quiet). I was afraid of blower cards but they are not so bad after all.

I have left FTC off as some games don't play well with it and can cause weird stutters but you might be better off creating game profile and individually set FTC per game basis.

Chill works amazing well specially paired with a freesync screen. I play cs:go a lot and have chill set to 110fps min and 144fps max, which is in my freesync range. With those ranges I can't even hear the fan ramp up or down, it's a constant silence :). I have to say it feels slightly more smooth then letting the game run at its max 300fps on my 144hz screen out of the freesync range.

Last edited:
Soldato
will start proper tweaking when i finish watercooling it. i was going to put it all back together the way it was before although ive got to move the res over 2inches because of the longer card, however im thinking of making some changes too. Gotta love tinkering :D

one thing im finding annoying is i kinda want to get a 420mm rad (3x140) for the front of my Define S case, but the case is a inch too short... DAMN YOU FRACTAL

Last edited:
Soldato
So I was a bit optimistic before, My vega cant really handle 1025mv and 900 memory, as it turns out 1050mv on p6 and p7 is as low as it goes and the score does improve so I did not see any bug where stage 5 takes over if p6 & 7 are the same.

As for memory its pretty weird, it can run firestrike but when I try to open GPUz and memory is oc'ed to above 880 then PC freezes, might be software problem but I am not sure, I take it that 880 on memory is the limit for my card with 56 bios.

Associate
Mine would do about 930mhz on the 56 bios. 1100mhz on the 64 bios, not tried higher
Seems to be a hard limit on the ram, not seen any vegas do 1100+ at all. Possibly some timings strap or something, hopefully modded bios will deal with those down the line as i am sure some will be able to further.

Associate
Hey, was wondering if anyone can help. Got a Vega 56 yesterday and in many VR games (with Vive playing Assetto Corsa, iRacing, DCS World) the card will either throttle or never go on the highest states and fluctuate around 800mhz, usage well bellow 90% most of the time, temperatures in the 60s. At the same time the memory does go to it's highest state. This of course causes lost frames and choppy VR. Reinstalled a bunch of stuff, used DDU (had a 7970 before that worked properly and even performed better in those occasions), I am even thinking of returning the card for a refund and look for something 'green'. I am racing competitively online in both iRacing and Assetto Corsa and this was the only reason for upgrading, even my 7970 was doing 'OK' in VR. In normal (1080p) games I will also occasionally see the memory clock dropping to 500mhz during gameplay but the core stays within its normal 'load' operating range.

No overclocks, tried turbo mode as well. System: Gigabyte AX370 gaming 5, Ryzen 1700, 16GB 3200 ram, eveything on SSD, Win 10.

Associate
Hey, was wondering if anyone can help. Got a Vega 56 yesterday and in many VR games (with Vive playing Assetto Corsa, iRacing, DCS World) the card will either throttle or never go on the highest states and fluctuate around 800mhz, usage well bellow 90% most of the time, temperatures in the 60s. At the same time the memory does go to it's highest state. This of course causes lost frames and choppy VR. Reinstalled a bunch of stuff, used DDU (had a 7970 before that worked properly and even performed better in those occasions), I am even thinking of returning the card for a refund and look for something 'green'. I am racing competitively online in both iRacing and Assetto Corsa and this was the only reason for upgrading, even my 7970 was doing 'OK' in VR. In normal (1080p) games I will also occasionally see the memory clock dropping to 500mhz during gameplay but the core stays within its normal 'load' operating range.

No overclocks, tried turbo mode as well. System: Gigabyte AX370 gaming 5, Ryzen 1700, 16GB 3200 ram, eveything on SSD, Win 10.
Receiving my replacement rift cable tomorrow so will be able to test and il let you know how I get on, have you turned the graphics settings up enough to actually push the card into a higher power state? Sounds like it's in p5 or p4. If not turn those settings up and retest.

Associate
have you turned the graphics settings up enough to actually push the card into a higher power state? Sounds like it's in p5 or p4. If not turn those settings up and retest.

Exactly that, it's counterintuitive to raise settings to boost the performance but that definitely appears to be what's needed sometimes.

Associate
Exactly that, it's counterintuitive to raise settings to boost the performance but that definitely appears to be what's needed sometimes.

I have tried that as well, it is understandable when the gpu idles for a bit and still hits 90 fps, but when it doesn't the clocks should go up... Other than that, it should always be on the highest state in vr applications.

edit: in the SteamVR frame timing graphs I see the GPU taking up more than 11ms to render frames (for 90fps) and still chilling at 800mhz. When turning the view to more demanding areas the clock actually goes down to 600-500 most of the time... :S

Associate
I have tried that as well, it is understandable when the gpu idles for a bit and still hits 90 fps, but when it doesn't the clocks should go up... Other than that, it should always be on the highest state in vr applications.

edit: in the SteamVR frame timing graphs I see the GPU taking up more than 11ms to render frames (for 90fps) and still chilling at 800mhz. When turning the view to more demanding areas the clock actually goes down to 600-500 most of the time... :S
Seems to do this sometimes for me in Overwatch also.

Associate
I decided to plot the release cadence of AMD drivers since 17.1.1 and this is what I got:

SGpKsEt.png

Since 17.9.1 was released on 8th Sept, we should be due another one anytime soon.

Though, the data isn't quite normal:

QGC3NCm.png

My god! I actually got something correct - 17.9.2 released.

Shame I didn't put it in the right thread - should be in the driver one....

Soldato
So I tried the 64 liquid cooled bios last night and my card wasn't stable at its default clocks so rolled back to the 64 air bios.
After testing im gonna be running my card at 1622mhz @ 1050mV and 1100mhz HBM. Boosts to 1600mhz during Timespy and had a speak power usages of 215w reported by gpuz.
I was running at 1702mhz @ 1200mV with HBM @ 1100mhz. Highest core boost I saw was 1680mhz if i remember right but card would use 309w in Timespy and only gain 200 graphics score points.

Thats a lot of extra power draw for 80mhz!

Back
Top Bottom