• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Honest answers please. How do people find V64 reference for sound? My 290X is absolutely unbearable, to the point I've stopped playing games now. Some E-tailers are taking a hit to get rid of the stock already, so I'm happy at the price at which I can get a limited edition V64 for and intend to. But not if it's going to sound just like the 290X.

I never bought mine to be aircooled as I was throwing it in a custom loop.

I did test that the card works first though with the reference cooler. It was VERY loud and VERY hot. Definitely something that I wouldn't want to have on my desk. If you absolutely want to use this card, regardless of the thermal throttling happening with the reference cooler, perhaps get a pair of those noise isolating headphones :D

There is no way I was going to run this with a reference cooler. It was the same with the 290X that I had few years ago.

Caporegime
I never bought mine to be aircooled as I was throwing it in a custom loop.

I did test that the card works first though with the reference cooler. It was VERY loud and VERY hot. Definitely something that I wouldn't want to have on my desk. If you absolutely want to use this card, regardless of the thermal throttling happening with the reference cooler, perhaps get a pair of those noise isolating headphones :D

There is no way I was going to run this with a reference cooler. It was the same with the 290X that I had few years ago.

Well that's about as put off as I can be!

I've got my old custom WC stuff, but I've probably got at least £200 pound to spend to sort out fans and better cables etc before I'd go through the effort of another loop.
I've got a 1700 OC'ed under the stock cooler and it's perfect. But I can't cope with a loud GPU.

Caporegime
Someone here, i forget who, said it was quieter than their reference gtx 1080 cooler.

Not sure if that is a good yardstick as a comparison, It's been a while since I've used anything but a silent AIO on AMD GPUs.

Associate
Honest answers please. How do people find V64 reference for sound? My 290X is absolutely unbearable, to the point I've stopped playing games now. Some E-tailers are taking a hit to get rid of the stock already, so I'm happy at the price at which I can get a limited edition V64 for and intend to. But not if it's going to sound just like the 290X.
Whilst recognising the pointlessness of trying to explain a sound ;)

If you let the fans spin up it is borderline painful but if you're happy to tinker and undervolt it is fine. I have found the thread linked in the first post on this thread to tally with my experiences. You can run at 950mv, get a 5% performance increase, use less power and barely notice the fans (especially over a game) or run at 1050mv and have louder fans. Personally I wouldn't go higher than that because of noise. My case is pretty quiet so your mileage may vary of course.

Associate
I was honestly surprised by this card. I was expecting a nuisance but at idle I don't notice it & even at 2400 it doesn't bother me. As others have noted its more of a whooshing sound than anything.

*oops this is the 64 thread, mines a 56.. still..

Last edited:
Soldato
At 1425 core I imagine it's no where near as fast as it could be.

I'm pretty desperate to upgrade, while I'm happy with the performance V64 can offer, especially overclocked etc. I just don't know if I can accept the noise.

2 months in and no AIB models, not even pre-orders.

At stock balanced mode the core clock would drop to ~1390 - 1400 core after no more than 10 minutes. The only way to prevent this was to make the fan sound like a hairdryer. Undervolting allowed lower temps and lower fan noise while allowing ~3% extra performance. Remember stock AC V64 is giving ~ GTX 1080 speeds.

Soldato
Well that's about as put off as I can be!

I've got my old custom WC stuff, but I've probably got at least £200 pound to spend to sort out fans and better cables etc before I'd go through the effort of another loop.
I've got a 1700 OC'ed under the stock cooler and it's perfect. But I can't cope with a loud GPU.

Back in early 2016 bought a Predator 360, and it's price was less than 360mm custom WC kit.
I have used it since with 5 motherboards, 6 difference CPUs, 4 different pre-filled blocks that barely cost £20 more than a custom block without fittings. (used on GPUs 295X2, Nano, 1080, FuryX), and just waiting to see the EK MLC atm, before commiting to another pre-filled block.

It has been a boon watercooling with custom loop performance, at very low mentainance and installation hassle, while initial cost investment worth every penny.

And I have sold all previous prefilled blocks that didn't need, without losing a lot of money. On top, it's performance was superb on both the Nano (1100 core since it's power limited) FuryX (pushing it to 1190 core) and 1080 (pushing it to 2190 core).

Associate
At 1425 core I imagine it's no where near as fast as it could be.

I'm pretty desperate to upgrade, while I'm happy with the performance V64 can offer, especially overclocked etc. I just don't know if I can accept the noise.

2 months in and no AIB models, not even pre-orders.
Setting the fan to anything above 3200RPM = incredibly loud. However games are not benchmarks and I've found very few games that load the card hard enough to require 4900RPM to keep it cool.

Keeping clocks at a reasonable level and doing a solid undervolt and you'll have no problem with sound. Going for an OC on Vega, get a water cooler (AIO or custom loop) as it'll be loud on air.

Soldato
Someone here, i forget who, said it was quieter than their reference gtx 1080 cooler.

Not sure if that is a good yardstick as a comparison, It's been a while since I've used anything but a silent AIO on AMD GPUs.
I take it the Vega 64 LCs are quieter than the Fury Xs then?
What did you have before the Fury X, the Duo? Were they quieter than the Fury X too? I thought they'd be worse with there being 2 cores on the 1 rad.

Associate

I went from a ref 290 (non X), which as you say, noise wise was unbearable, to a VEGA air 64. After the 290 noise I was adamant i'd never by a ref cooler again, but then the 64's went up for sale here in DK and I snagged one at the cheaper price, thinking that worse case i'll put an after market AIO on it.

MY findings are that it produces a totally different noise, more of a rushing air sound than the whiny fan noise of the 290. At Idle I cant here the card over case fans. When it ramps up and the card settles out at its stable temps (I have mine hovering around 72c, full load) its certainly noticable, but not uncomfortable like the 290.

I have my 64 under volted and overclocked, +50% PL and manually set the fan curves to max 75c and fan RPM to max 2800, HBM2 at 1060 and core boosts to around 1635 stable.

If I play a less demanding game, for example Path of Exile, in DX11 mode with the frame rate capped at 144hz to match my freesync monitors cap, the fans barely spin up.

If I play something that will push the card then at 2800 fan speed I dont hear the card over the game sounds or if I have my headphones on, PC tower case sat under my desk.

I'd love it to be silent but it's many, many times better than the 290 it replaced.

I will investigate the AIO options like the alphacool Eiswolf GPX pro at some stage, purely because I think this card has a lot more performance to offer once cooled correctly, but for now i'm totally fine with the card.

Cheers,
Matt

Associate
I'm going to guess it depends on tolerance. Some of you say it's fine, others not :(.

Wish there was just a solid listing of an AIB model
Definitely, though during gaming mine sits around the ~2000RPM mark in most games with the daily undervolt I run giving 1580-1680MHz variable depending on GPU load. So far only Total War Warhammer 2 has actually stressed it to need higher than 2K RPM and that sits around 3K, though with headphones it's tolerable (though definitely not great). The fan itself is quiet and the rush of air is the main noise.

Soldato

At stock clock boost, undervolt on core 900/950 Temps between 70/85c my fan doesn't go any higher than 40% you can hear it if you listen for it. But it's not noticeable and with headphones on Open back design I don't hear it at all when gaming.

At idle you can't hear it at all.

Soldato
I'm going to guess it depends on tolerance. Some of you say it's fine, others not :(.

I am very intolerant of fan noise and the reference V64 is nowhere near as bad as the 290/X reference. Having said that anyone stating it is tolerable at 2800 RPM are either deaf or using headphones. At stock it is set to run at 2400RPM and even that was right on the cusp of intolerable for me. Undervolted at 2300 RPM it is bearable and still faster than stock balanced mode while using less power.

The simple fact is if you are happy with ~ stock speeds of the V64 AC, then you can make the noise bearable (but never unnoticable but what air-cooled card does). If you absolutely must have the best performance and low noise, you WILL need to watercool or get an AIO. I have done the Kraken G10 mod with a Corsair H100 and I am getting 1550 core and 1100 HBM, 45c -47c core (ambient temp dependant) while using 1000mV. This gives me ~10% extra performance and uses 10% less power. Ironically I could push it further with more voltage but then I have to go over 70% fan speed on the radiator fans and they are louder than a reference V64 at that point. :)

Permabanned

+1

I still keep visiting the Vega page a couple of time a day hoping to see a non reference model, And hoping it'll be a decently priced one which is stupid really considering the reference pricing.
I'll have the money to get a G-sync monitor in about 3 weeks time so if there's still no info I may ditch AMD all together and put my Freesync ultrawide on the MM.
I didn't want to do that really but if AMD can't offer what I need why wait any longer. :(

Back
Top Bottom