• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Associate
None of the load line stuff worked so I had to manually set 1.1v and that seemed to clear it up and showing 1.100 now. Seems to have given a stock boost increase of about 50mhz, lol

What are good PPT, TDC and EDC settings to go on? My guess is the Asus auto ones are way too high or something?

Caporegime
PPT value is Watts
TDC value is Amps
EDC value is Amps

Page 18 of RM QRG has further details.

Interesting development. I set those values in everything I could think of in Master. Both in PBO and Auto OC as seen here: https://i.imgur.com/ZOuPcQr.png

No matter what I do, the Home page will not update PPT to 142. It sticks as 88: https://i.imgur.com/InSJ228.png

Is there anyway to force this aka where do I set these values in Asus BIOS?

Yes maybe try in the BIOS,,,

On this image. you're in Auto Overclocking here, best stay in the PBO window, don't save anything in Auto OC window.

ZOuPcQr.png

Associate

NP :) .

Interesting development. I set those values in everything I could think of in Master. Both in PBO and Auto OC as seen here: https://i.imgur.com/ZOuPcQr.png

No matter what I do, the Home page will not update PPT to 142. It sticks as 88: https://i.imgur.com/InSJ228.png

Is there anyway to force this aka where do I set these values in Asus BIOS?

On my ASUS board I need to set the values in Precision Boost Override menu on Extreme Tweaker page, if I set it in AMD CBS/Overclocking menu Ryzen Master will not reflect it correctly; although they will apply.

For SOC voltage to be show correctly in Ryzen Master I have to set SOC Voltage mode on Extreme Tweaker as [Offset/+/Auto] and set it in AMD Overclocking menu as I need. I also set CLDO_VDDP & CLDO_VDDG in AMD Overclocking and leave the like settings in other places of UEFI as [Auto].

Associate
Manually set the values and they updated in Ryzen Master to now show all green but still literally the same performance boosts as before. I was originally thinking the amber value was making the cpu think "oh I'm close to max, better limit frequency" but even when it's pure green now it has not done anything.

The only other thing I can think of is I need someone else with a b450-f board to do a video of every setting they have because right now, I am out of ideas.

Edit: On page 43 someone said to try EDC at 1 or 10... but values you guys said are 140? Am I missing something?

Caporegime
Manually set the values and they updated in Ryzen Master to now show all green but still literally the same performance boosts as before. I was originally thinking the amber value was making the cpu think "oh I'm close to max, better limit frequency" but even when it's pure green now it has not done anything.

The only other thing I can think of is I need someone else with a b450-f board to do a video of every setting they have because right now, I am out of ideas.

Edit: On page 43 someone said to try EDC at 1 or 10... but values you guys said are 140? Am I missing something?

Yellow just means "its more than 3/4 max" or something like that, it doesn't act on that, it would only act if it goes red.

If the CPU is not pushing those values at stock giving it higher limits will do nothing.

You had a pretty respectable 4.1Ghz thing going a page or two back, what happened to that? you scored over 3700 with it, that's higher than mine is scoring the way i run it. :)

Associate

Thermals will limit you as well, regardless what limits are set for PBO. If ~60W of power was pulled through my R5 3600 then it could not sustain all cores boost of ~4.35GHz.

All that will happen with the PBO tweaks is you'll improve certain case scenarios. Say my R5 3600 was set to 105W CPU limits and clock override of +150MHz and I ran The Outer Worlds on my PC, average clocks were the same as my R9 3900X at stock and FPS.

Associate
Looking back at my 4.1 Ryzen screenshot, PPT was 395 TDC 255 and EDC 255

Do you think it's ok to manually set these values on stock and see if that helps the boost or is that a no no?

As for not sticking with the 4.1Ghz thing, I still want to figure out what is going on with stock.

Caporegime

Do you think it's ok to manually set these values on stock and see if that helps the boost or is that a no no?

As for not sticking with the 4.1Ghz thing, I still want to figure out what is going on with stock.

The CPU will only draw as much as it needs from the Motherboard, you can set all of that to 9000 and it will still only pull 90. So yes, do what you like with that stuff its not going to hurt the CPU. At least if you set it all high you can be sure none of that stuff is limiting anything.

Associate

You can set those and you won't kill the CPU or board, there are still limitations which you can't adjust. For example FIT will not allow the CPU to boost using a voltage it regards as damaging for silicon regardless of you having power budget headroom.

Stock I'd get ~4.2GHz all cores again in loads that did not pull more than ~60W through CPU, stock PPT is 88W, the 65W TDP figure is misleading by AMD.

In this screenie is left R5 and right R9, the R5 is using 105W limits with +150MHz clock overide, the R9 is stock. Have a read of what Effective clocks means, link. Also look at the PPT/TDC/EDC counters and limits in HWINFO, even though CPUs are not reaching the limits, FIT and other parts of algorithm will not allow a boost as we would think it would with PBO tweaks.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yeah you were right, no change at all. I need to hope someone here has my b450-f board and can tell me if they have had different experiences to me because I have 0 ideas left. https://i.imgur.com/oEGOjEw.png

I have a similar board its the TUF 'gaming' so wont be much different I'm guessing. Im not sure why you dont mention its the ROG Strix unless they do a vanilla model with no fancy bling?

Associate
I looked around on reddit and someone discussed setting EDC to a low value like 5-30. My findings were nothing amazing. Lower EDC just meant my clocks got severely limited to like 2000Mhz when running Cinebench and I had a linear boost each 5 increment until I got to about 70 where it just again maxxed out at 3,800Mhz. Just thought I'd mention that if it sparks any additional info.

The thing is I bought this system pre built from a recognised retailer and I'm trying to think if an average 10% reduction in minimum clock speed wth such weird issues like an inflated SOC voltage is worthy of claiming a fault and a return? I paid with PayPal just incase issues like this came up so think I have a good case for returning?

Soldato
I looked around on reddit and someone discussed setting EDC to a low value like 5-30. My findings were nothing amazing. Lower EDC just meant my clocks got severely limited to like 2000Mhz when running Cinebench and I had a linear boost each 5 increment until I got to about 70 where it just again maxxed out at 3,800Mhz. Just thought I'd mention that if it sparks any additional info.

The thing is I bought this system pre built from a recognised retailer and I'm trying to think if an average 10% reduction in minimum clock speed wth such weird issues like an inflated SOC voltage is worthy of claiming a fault and a return? I paid with PayPal just incase issues like this came up so think I have a good case for returning?
Try setting EDC to 1 as above this it seems to throttle the clocks on the 3600.

Associate

Be aware the PBO tweaks of using low setting to make CPU boost is a bug, link. As this is a bug in SMU FW and CPU is boosting on more cores to peak, than they should from what I've seem from others shares, I would not be surprised if this has potential to damage CPU.

The way I get decent boost on all the 5x Zen2 I have used, was by:-
  • In UEFI set Performance Enhancer to [Default]
  • In UEFI set Global C-State Control to [Enabled], on my ASUS board found on Advanced page > AMD CBS > CPU Common Options
  • In UEFI set CPPC to [Enabled], on my ASUS board found on Advanced page > AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > SMU Common Options
  • In UEFI set CPPC Preffered Cores to [Enabled], on my ASUS board found on Advanced page > AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > SMU Common Options
In OS I used Ryzen Balanced Power Plan, set min CPU state to 0%, applied registry tweak to expose Core Parking, set it to a value so 2 logical CPUs (ie a real core and SMT) would remain unparked.

My launch purchase R5 3600 with 105W PBO values and +150MHz clock overide did usually ~3750 points in CB20, best I'd seen was ~3840 when left window open in room and lowered room ambient created lower temps to enhance boost.

Early benches album, near end you'll see ~3800 runs, here's ~3840/506 run.

Back
Top Bottom