• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Soldato
I established my scores with little rzyen master tweaks, but they don't hold between reboots, so to do this more permanently i would have to add it into the BIOS settings.

I have an MSI MAG X570 tomahawk board with the most recent BIOS.
How many of the settings should i be changing to allow for the same result? I don't wish to leave things on auto if setting a value is better for the system overall, but again don't wish to fluff something up.

Has anyone got a screenshot by screenshot view of exactly what i should change and where?

C64

C64

Soldato
Anyone tested prime 95 small FFT maximum cpu power draw ? I have to shutdown prime 95 immediately as the cpu goes straight to 85c and rising ?

Blend I am holding 70c but small FFT im going straight to 85-90c ? everything on auto apart from dram at 1.35v gaming temps are 50-60 or is prime just completely maxing the actual cpu power on ryzen ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone tested prime 95 small FFT maximum cpu power draw ? I have to shutdown prime 95 immediately as the cpu goes straight to 85c and rising ?

Blend I am holding 70c but small FFT im going straight to 85-90c ? everything on auto apart from dram at 1.35v gaming temps are 50-60 or is prime just completely maxing the actual cpu power on ryzen ?

Prime95 has just become unrealistic with AVX instructions these days. Draws way more power than anything else out there overloading anything but the best cooling solutions. It's the kind of load where you will see the CPU very quickly fall back to base clocks unless you've manually overclocked it.

I recommend using Blender these days. Intel Burn Test is also fine if you want something which does some calculations to check for stability.

Soldato
I find RealBench is a good stress test for Ryzen. Its fair and doesnt murder the CPU with AVX, but it will highlight a poor overclock with a hash fail or a random reboot. 8 hours on that and your good to go imo (for 99.99999% stability).

Caporegime
I'll give it a go. I bought mine cheap from an OCUK competitor's EBAY store and I found out afterwards that all their stock came from a bad batch that doesn't overclock well so I am not holding out hope.

Even at stock though, I was amazed at the bang for buck with this.

overclocking in 99% of cases is pointless and any gains negligible. AMD chips are already running as fast as they can do within safe limits.

it also depends a lot on the motherboard. modern boards like the X570 will clock them better. but then you are paying £100 extra for an x570 over a B450 for an extra 50-150mhz at best. whereas you could pay £50 extra and just buy a 3600XT which clocks to 4.5ghz out of the box and runs at 4.4ghz on all cores too.

it makes sense with AMD to just buy the better cpu in the first place IMO.

Soldato
overclocking in 99% of cases is pointless and any gains negligible. AMD chips are already running as fast as they can do within safe limits.

it also depends a lot on the motherboard. modern boards like the X570 will clock them better. but then you are paying £100 extra for an x570 over a B450 for an extra 50-150mhz at best. whereas you could pay £50 extra and just buy a 3600XT which clocks to 4.5ghz out of the box and runs at 4.4ghz on all cores too.

it makes sense with AMD to just buy the better cpu in the first place IMO.

Everyone works with a budget and I picked my 3600 up for just under £150. The 3600XT is the best part of £100 more expensive. I did buy the best CPU I could at the time, I'm just interested in getting any extra performance out of it that I can.

Caporegime
Everyone works with a budget and I picked my 3600 up for just under £150. The 3600XT is the best part of £100 more expensive. I did buy the best CPU I could at the time, I'm just interested in getting any extra performance out of it that I can.

what is your motherboard?

AMD cpu's don't overclock at all. 1 person in 100 manages to find a clock which is good (which won't beat the XT) the other 99 don't it's a pointless waste of time trying to clock it. their binning checks at the factory are spot on. there is no extra performance to be squeezed out of them. even TNA runs his at 4.4ghz which is same as the XT and he is the 1 in 100 maybe even 1 in 1,000 or more.

it's not like the old days where my 2500K went from 3.7GHZ to 4.5GHZ on stock volts. he has gotten a massive 200mhz overclock and he was one of the lucky ones.

they run as fast as they can. you will get much better gains from overclocking and tightening ram timings than from any cpu overclock.

Last edited:
Soldato
You get more out of overclocking the ram rather than the CPU so if your going to spend a bit extra then spend it on the ram and also if zen 3 can do 2000 fclk then with decent ram you can overclock it to 4000mhz.

Associate
Ive just finished my new build --

NXZT H210 (w/ stock case fans)
Ryzen 5 3600 (w/ stock cooler)

And for now I've reused my GTX970.

My question is, should I be worried about my temps.

Idle is 45-50 degrees
Gaming on league of legends is 65-72
Gaming on Shadow of Tomb Raider is 75-79 (but did briefly hit 88 degrees when I did the benchmark and CPU was at 100% load).

I'm coming from a larger ATX case with Intel i5 and Corsair H100 so I enjoyed low temp.This is my first mITX build and I'm not used to seeing temps this high so thought I would check here if they are normal.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
1 person in 100 manages
I must be very lucky then, mine runs at 4.4Ghz in all loads at all times (unlike your stock 3600X) and at a much lower 1.275v ;)

Lucky I did not listen to Panos and the likes of you and spent a few minutes to see if it actually overclocks or I would be stuck at 4.2Ghz on small loads and under 4GHz on heavy loads and all at a toasty voltage to boot :D

Soldato
Ive just finished my new build --

NXZT H210 (w/ stock case fans)
Ryzen 5 3600 (w/ stock cooler)

And for now I've reused my GTX970.

My question is, should I be worried about my temps.

Idle is 45-50 degrees
Gaming on league of legends is 65-72
Gaming on Shadow of Tomb Raider is 75-79 (but did briefly hit 88 degrees when I did the benchmark and CPU was at 100% load).

I'm coming from a larger ATX case with Intel i5 and Corsair H100 so I enjoyed low temp.This is my first mITX build and I'm not used to seeing temps this high so thought I would check here if they are normal.

On the stock cooler those temps are perfectly within normal operating range, specially in a smaller case with presumably less airflow than the larger ATX case it replaces.

C64

C64

Soldato
I still cant even understand how you overclock a 3600 can i just leave it all auto and stick in any ghz i like whats going on

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I still cant even understand how you overclock a 3600 can i just leave it all auto and stick in any ghz i like whats going on
Its not rocket science mate. Go in BIOS and type in 1.275v for voltage, then type in the multiplier. Start with 42, then go 43 and then 44, hell even try 45 :D

Mine actually works on 45, but needs over 1.3v so I don't bother with it.

Rup

Rup

Associate
Would recommend trying settings in ryzen master first, then when found good working set, enter into bios.
Else you may have to short pins etc to reset bios on failed boot.

Back
Top Bottom