• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Soldato
I don't think I have a particularly high clocking 3600. It will sit happily with max vCore of 1.3 and clocks of 4Ghz with max temps of 68 degrees (front case door open) however if I bump it to 4.1Ghz it will reboot within a few minutes of 100% stress testing load. If I leave the CPU to do its thing it will bounce the cores around up to around 4.15 individually however the vCore shows as running at 1.38-1.40v

I'm pretty pleased with the temperatures if I'm honest as I'm only running a Raijintek Ereboss with single fan in Silverstone Micro-ATX PS07 Case.

The extra few Mhz don't really mean anything but it would have been nice to clock a bit higher though the upgrade as a whole to the 3600 has been fantastic and will definitly last me a good while.

Associate
Finally got around to buying a case & cooler that this little nugget of mine deserves...

Been experimenting a bit the last couple of days and managed to push it up to 4.5GHz for the sake of posting a decent Cinebench Score, but as the difference in voltages between 4.4GHz@1,275v and [email protected] is bigger than I feel I need I'm probably sticking to 4.4GHz or maybe even lower it to 4.3GHz.

The tricky part at the moment is to translate what I do in Ryzen Master to Bios as my end goal is to run Linux on it, and my Bios only allow offset voltages.

Associate
What's the board?
That one was for me, right?
-Its a Gigabyte B450M DS3H.

It's not so much that it's that difficult to manage in the end, but I was kind of sticking my finger in the air and estimating a number the first times I set my offset.
For some weird reason Ryzen Master won't help me much with the monitoring as it seems like the voltage display won't go any higher than 1.09v under load no matter what when I OC in Bios, so I'm currently using HWinfo for monitoring the voltages.

I'm currently getting reading 1.260v as a max draw in HWiNFO64 which is close enough, but there is some more testing to be done before I'm satisfied.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
In case anyone is wondering my 3600 overclock is still going strong at 4.4GHz all core at 1.275v. All done in BIOS. Very happy with this upgrade over my 4770K 4.7GHz build. The 4.4GHz here is better due to much better IPC, not to mention the 2 extra cores.

This will serve me well for another couple of years until I go for a 4900X on the cheap :D

Soldato
In case anyone is wondering my 3600 overclock is still going strong at 4.4GHz all core at 1.275v. All done in BIOS. Very happy with this upgrade over my 4770K 4.7GHz build. The 4.4GHz here is better due to much better IPC, not to mention the 2 extra cores.

This will serve me well for another couple of years until I go for a 4900X on the cheap :D

Seems like you have good luck with getting good overclocking chips! I could only manage to get 4.4GHz out of my 4770K. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the 3600 I have coming will do. Hitting 80%+ CPU usage in Warzone isn't fun :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Seems like you have good luck with getting good overclocking chips! I could only manage to get 4.4GHz out of my 4770K. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the 3600 I have coming will do. Hitting 80%+ CPU usage in Warzone isn't fun :p
Yeah, been lucky. I always buy retail box to make sure 8 pack and his ilk have not had their grubby hands on them :p:D

Associate
Just a quick one really.

Updated my board over the weekend to what was the latest for the X570 AORUS Elite (f12h) I was previously on f5b.

Temps are a degree or two higher than previous which is fair.

32-39 idle
40-50 browsing
45-55 On initial opening of Chrome/Apps etc (Damn CPU Boost!)

Nothing higher than 65c Gaming.

These are with custom fan curves too, prefer lower noise over lower temps, to some extent.

Soldato
Looking at ordering a Ryzen 5 3600 setup tomorrow, but my budget won't allow me to fit in a 16gb kit of ram, so was wondering if a single 8gig stick would be a big issue as a temporary measure for a month tops?

Associate
My old 3570k used to get rinsed at 100% usage, even with a 4.4ghz OC, in games like BF5 ;) the 3600 doesn't break a sweat at 4.2ghz (I can't go higher at 1.3v, and can't seem to do 4.2 at lower than 1.3v so guess I'm a little unlucky - but still happy!)

I do watch my CPU at 100% while compiling CSGO maps though..

Associate
At the time I bought my CPU, I couldn't afford the 3700X and I could just afford the 3600X - so I bought the 3600X and put a Noctua NH-D15S CPU cooler on it.
As the 3600X has a higher TDP than the 3600, does this mean that my 3600X runs hotter than a 3600 and should I have got a 3600 instead?

Soldato
At the time I bought my CPU, I couldn't afford the 3700X and I could just afford the 3600X - so I bought the 3600X and put a Noctua NH-D15S CPU cooler on it.
As the 3600X has a higher TDP than the 3600, does this mean that my 3600X runs hotter than a 3600 and should I have got a 3600 instead?

It only runs hotter because it runs faster. Why are you worried? That cooler would run a 3950X fine.

What's your moherboard? The 3600X is fine for now and in the future when you need an upgrade you'll have lots of chips you could buy, especially second hand.

Associate
It only runs hotter because it runs faster. Why are you worried? That cooler would run a 3950X fine.

What's your moherboard? The 3600X is fine for now and in the future when you need an upgrade you'll have lots of chips you could buy, especially second hand.
Thanks for the reply muon,
I'm not worried - I know that they came with different coolers and I thought that if that's all the difference was, did I just waste my money?
Motherboard is an ASUS Crosshair VII x470.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply muon,
I'm not worried - I know that they came with different coolers and I thought that if that's all the difference was, did I just waste my money?
Motherboard is an ASUS Crosshair VII x470.

The 3600X at stock is slightly faster than the 3600 at stock. You haven't wasted your money.

If you overlock, then yes the 3600 would likely have matched the 3600X. My advice for most people would be to buy the 3600 over the 3600X.

Associate
The 3600X at stock is slightly faster than the 3600 at stock. You haven't wasted your money.

If you overlock, then yes the 3600 would likely have matched the 3600X. My advice for most people would be to buy the 3600 over the 3600X.
I run it at stock, I build for stability, reliability and longevity - I avoid overclocking.
Thanks for your answer - much appreciated :D

Back
Top Bottom