• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

The Strong Lifts 5 by 5 Thread

Permabanned
Doing the lower weights first means you can make sure your form is bang on (not saying it isn't already mind) and it also means that you'll be able to progress to a lot longer as well. Your likely to find that if you start at 100 you'll begin to struggle sooner than you'd expect.

I'd start lower as much as you don't want to and you'll see more improvement. 8 weeks isn't really that long now is it? :)

Man of Honour
What's the point in that? If I can 5x5 on 100 now.. Why go down to 60kg, wait 8weeks then get back to 100kg.. Seems backwards, how That would make you stronger by doing less weight is confusing..
That's exactly how strength training works.

Benefits:
- improve form (won't happen at high 1rm %)
- allows better focussing on activating the correct muscles
- more explosive movements, and thus rate of force development

You won't get stronger very quickly by picking your 5 rep max and trying to beat it every week.

Associate
What's the point in that? If I can 5x5 on 100 now.. Why go down to 60kg, wait 8weeks then get back to 100kg.. Seems backwards, how That would make you stronger by doing less weight is confusing..

It's about getting used to squatting every other day too. My 1RM for squats is 135kg and I could manage a fairly sloppy 5x5 at 100kg when I started out.

I started SL at 60kg squat.

Tonight I'm on 97.5kg and if last session was anything to go by I'll be breezing through them and still going below parallel - much better than where I started and good sign that I've gained strength so far. Just need to leave the ego at the door for the first few sessions.

Associate
Had my first stall today on 57.5kg OHP (managed 5, 4, 4, 3, 2). Squats still going nicely but had to switch to mixed grip for deads today at 135kg. I can see Wednesday's bench of 80kg possibly being a stall, but need to keep the right mental attitude!

Soldato
~Indeed good effort - i missed 2 sessions last week due to feeling not well at all for 3 days and also on holiday mon/tues so back to gym on Wednesday. Been a week!! Gym is 40 miles from home, 50m's from work!

Associate
Cheers gents. It's not an exercise I've done much before so expected it to be first wall to hit - would be nice to get 5 at BW by the end of the 12 weeks though!

Caporegime
Had my first stall today on 57.5kg OHP (managed 5, 4, 4, 3, 2). Squats still going nicely but had to switch to mixed grip for deads today at 135kg. I can see Wednesday's bench of 80kg possibly being a stall, but need to keep the right mental attitude!

That's some very good weights.

How long you been lifting?

Associate
About 3 years or so now - trying 5x5 as I've been stuck on my 1RMs for a while so thought I'd try something new to push through. Hoping for 450kg total by end of the year at similar BW - going to be tough but not unachievable.

Soldato
back after a week of missing the gym due to work/illness

Man- it was hard.

5 x 5 reps @ 60kg squat
5 x 5 reps @ 40kg bench
5 x 5 reps @ 50kg bendover row.

Following the program spreadsheet but about a week behind due to missed sessions.

Last set of squats was a bit ropey, and last set of bendover rows the same but managed just!

Also down to 13st 9lbs now - which i'm very pleased with as I was 14st 4lbs, 7 weeks ago and started SL's to loose a bit of weight.

Associate
seems miles out if sync with regards the 5 x 5 routine.

Surely benching 70kg your squat should be much higher?

Yeah looks stange. From what I understand the weights should descend in weight in the following order:

Deadlift (140KG)
Squat (100KG)
Barbell Row (70KG)
Bench Press (60KG)
OHP (40KG)

Associate
OP
seems miles out if sync with regards the 5 x 5 routine.

Surely benching 70kg your squat should be much higher?

I agree that my squat should be heavier by about 50% of my bench press but I am not complaining. As long as I increase in strength I am happy.

Sometimes you have to work with what's available. When you play rugby and your body is in pieces for 3 days its difficult. As I posted when I made the thread. Improvements and adaptations wanted.

As I have reasonably fit I did not start with the empty bar but at about 40kg on bench/squat and deaf lift. Once I can do a weight 5 x 5 easily I up it. If its very easy then 10kg if difficult then 2.5kg.

Soldato
Yeah looks stange. From what I understand the weights should descend in weight in the following order:

Deadlift (140KG)
Squat (100KG)
Barbell Row (70KG)
Bench Press (60KG)
OHP (40KG)

My Bench Press is stronger than my Barbell Row :p Also, my squat is lower than bench as I've gone back to working on form.

Associate
Giving it a little more thought I guess it'd make more sense that Bench would be higher than BBR.

I don't think squat or DL will ever drop below any upper body work. Having been overweight for such a long time my legs have built up a fair bit of strength and it's so frustrating trying to catch up. In time.. I guess.

Soldato
Giving it a little more thought I guess it'd make more sense that Bench would be higher than BBR.

I don't think squat or DL will ever drop below any upper body work. Having been overweight for such a long time my legs have built up a fair bit of strength and it's so frustrating trying to catch up. In time.. I guess.

My Squat was 2nd from Deadlift, but form was absolutely terrible (see mobility thread). I've then knocked the weight back down to 70kg and worked on form for several weeks. Currently on 85-87.5kg, trying to nail form as weight gets heavier.

Associate
Just found this thread, never looked at this part of the forum before.
Started SL 5x5 February trying to keep fit and gain a bit of lean muscle , never lifted weights before but now have a little home gym going, I started with all lifts @ 20 KG but deadlift @40 KG. Currently on session 20 and starting to struggling with the overhead press
Deadlift = 85KG
Squat = 67.5KG
Barbell Row = 52.5KG
Bench Press = 45KG
Overhead Press = 45KG
Haven't failed on the overhead press just finding it hard now, all other lifts I'm finding quite easy at the moment. Only lifting twice a week due to work & family commitments
Would this affect my progress?

Soldato
Just found this thread, never looked at this part of the forum before.
Started SL 5x5 February trying to keep fit and gain a bit of lean muscle , never lifted weights before but now have a little home gym going, I started with all lifts @ 20 KG but deadlift @40 KG. Currently on session 20 and starting to struggling with the overhead press
Deadlift = 85KG
Squat = 67.5KG
Barbell Row = 52.5KG
Bench Press = 45KG
Overhead Press = 45KG
Haven't failed on the overhead press just finding it hard now, all other lifts I'm finding quite easy at the moment. Only lifting twice a week due to work & family commitments
Would this affect my progress?

They look like pretty good numbers. As long as you're noticing a difference, it doesnt matter that its only 2 times a week :)

Associate
Very good numbers tbh. Also people cant press anywhere near their bench in general so I won't be surprised if you stall soon, far before your bench.

Back
Top Bottom