The Windows 8 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed onto my spare hard drive by booting directly off the burnt dvd. Installation went fine and I can now dual boot 7 and 8. Initial thoughts are "i'm lost" lol. When I'm not as tired I'll sit down and properly explore it all

Why can't I log back in now?

I installed it, did the initial set up - Linked to my Live ID had a little play then rebooted it

Now I cant log in?? It has my Live ID user name, and it still works because I tested it on Live Messenger so the username / password are right, but it wont log me into Windows 8 ????

What can Windows 8 do that Windows 7 can't? (genuine question)

Work well on a tablet, run metro apps, run on ARM. And there's lots of stuff regarding multiple monitor support, extended battery life, running from external drives etc. It's not really fair to compare it side by side with Windows 7 at this point though, it's too early.

I had a brief look at this last night and it looks like being the client tools only.

Wikipedia says

" The system requirements for Hyper-V are a 64-bit processor, a 64-bit version of Windows 8, and a minimum of 4 GB of RAM. Hyper-V also requires a 64-bit system that has Second Level Address Translation (SLAT), a feature that helps with memory management. "

I'm running 2gig at the moment due to an RMA :rolleyes:

BTW How much RAM do you have ?

yep, it wouldnt work cos i was using 32bit, downloaded and installed 64bit quickly, hyper-v working very well :) i still prefer vmware server 2 :o

edit: 4GB

Issue fixed.

It actually seems really good, surprisingly fast too, the metro UI will be decent enough once it becomes second nature using it, I don't see the advantage from a speed of working point of view though.

Last edited:
It won't install on mine no matter what I do, gets to between 84-90% then freezes.
Thought I'd try it on my film server that's connected to the TV, it's a socket 939 Opteron 165 and it installed first time no problem, very strange :confused:

well just installing it on a second partition on my laptop... The 32bit smaller sized one... Can you upgrade to the "full" version within windows?

*full meaning the larger version with all the extra bits?

Goodness me OP! Thank you for all your effort with sharing all the information you've come across so people like us don't have to trawl through hours of material.

You rule mate!!!

well just installing it on a second partition on my laptop... The 32bit smaller sized one... Can you upgrade to the "full" version within windows?

*full meaning the larger version with all the extra bits?

nope. the developer stuff is 64bit only and you can't upgrade to that from 32bit.

Ah ok, there seem to be loads of programs anyway so I'll leave it 'til the Alpha or Beta stage.

Well I don't like the fact it couldn't find a lot of my drivers automatically, I had to download the Intel graphics drivers (Metro really doesn't look very nice at 800x600) and I still can't work out why my sound won't work...

Webcam was fine though.. :p

what extra bits 64bit has that 32bit doesnt? i installed 32bit on laptop and 64 bits on main pc cos i wanted to try hyper-v. i havent notice anything 'extra' bits

Goodness me OP! Thank you for all your effort with sharing all the information you've come across so people like us don't have to trawl through hours of material.

You rule mate!!!

+1 - Just noticed this... Thank you Mr B, also needing a bit of recognition is AcidHell2's thread

PS Whilst I'm here, does anyone know what the current state of play is with flash player and metro ?

Last edited:
Adobe must have been pretty damn clear to Microsoft that they have no intention of improving performance, efficiency and adding touch support. So it's their loss really.

It will be a painful couple of years whilst the web moves across to HTML5 but it will be better for it, in the end.

I had that issue. Are you installing it on VirtualBox?

I've just installed mine, after a bit of faffing and I'm quite impressed with it. It's a bit strange transitioning between desktop and Metro, but it's nice and clear. The UI generally looks simpler, more pleasant, and easier to use.

A couple of nice changes I've noticed is the task manager (and the detailed view), and how much screen space there is when you're using IE!

Yes I used Oracle VM VirtualBox.

I expect the lack of flash on metro, is no more than to get developers using html5. Many have allready ditched flash. It's surprising how many websites work without flash. Even if it isn't enabled as it's a full OS, there will be an easy hack or app. But I expect they will enable it by release.

Adobe must have been pretty damn clear to Microsoft that they have no intention of improving performance, efficiency and adding touch support. So it's their loss really.

It will be a painful couple of years whilst the web moves across to HTML5 but it will be better for it, in the end.

Either that or Microsoft is being stubborn by keeping the platform to itself - This is a big fail but you can see Microsoft's view - It would be so so easy for flash to just take over... I mean the first thing I tried to do was to link flash apps from metro - It just makes so much sense doing that as the web is full of flash apps. Trouble is that enabling flash would deter developers from taking up Metro development, and we all know where the money is - with us - no developers developing your platform == no money for you

The two really should have collaborated on this :mad:

I expect the lack of flash on metro, is no more than to get developers using html5. Many have allready ditched flash. It's surprising how many websites work without flash. Even if it isn't enabled as it's a full OS, there will be an easy hack or app. But I expect they will enable it by release.

OK I haven't been following trends in dev but I thought flash was still alive and kicking ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom