*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

Soldato
Jabbs said:
i don't really see what all the fuss is with xp64, i used it for a week or so now back on normal xp.

Not sure what you mean there.
Are you saying you have used X64 on XP? Or are you saying you used it and have gone back to using XP?

And the fuss is thats its 64bit.... you know... 64bit. Double 32bit :D

Soldato
I used xp64 for over a week, no probs with drivers just i didn't really see the benifit for the average user, things were a tiny bit faster on desktop but nothing major and probs had a lot to do with a clean intall tbh as xp is faster on a clean intall.

I did lots of testing with games, encoding stuff but imo can't say i noticed much diff from normal xp, if anything most of the games didn't run as sweet as xp32 i do realize they only running in 32bit still.

I even tried the A64 stuff for farcry but i didn't really see anything that couldn't be achieved on xp32, we talking about almost a year old game now am sure they could have just tweaked the engine and given the same effect on 32bit, just amd probs threw lots of money at them to do it so they could try showing peeps that 64bit makes a difference.

I got no intentions of using it again untill a difference can be seen, all the reviews of it show it doesn't give u much advantage over 32bit atm.

Soldato
Why would it be faster, We are using 32bit apps.

Any 64bit apps that are released will probably be very under optimized, A bit like early console games.

Good things take time and newer is always better :)

Soldato
I'm currently waiting on Epson for a driver for my R800 photo printer, looks like June for a release. Epson don't appear to be supporting my 1240u scanner with an updated driver, looks like I'll be getting a new scanner then.

No sign of a driver for my Creative nomad Jukebox Zen mp3 player either, unless it's supported as default, I haven't tried yet :) Also I haven't seen any mention of Razer mouse drivers.

I'm dual booting at the moment.

Caporegime
The 120-day trial version of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is now available to download from Microsoft's site - except it seems to have an issue with their automatic ordering system. I got an error message saying it couldn't give me a product key. Hopefully they will get that sorted PDQ.

Soldato
ic1male said:
No, that is a bit skanky. They've been in beta since March now.

Even worse when the driver notes say "Occasional hangs may occur with these drivers.".

It's like saying, these drivers dont work and we dont know or care why.

Bah! :o :p

Caporegime
It really does look like we will have to wait until Longhorn before all the big companies get their act together and make x64 drivers/software. Only ATi has done it so far.

Soldato
ic1male said:
It really does look like we will have to wait until Longhorn before all the big companies get their act together and make x64 drivers/software. Only ATi has done it so far.

? Em not quite, there are loads of x64 drivers out not just Ati?

Associate
masterk said:
Even worse when the driver notes say "Occasional hangs may occur with these drivers.".

It's like saying, these drivers dont work and we dont know or care why.

Bah! :o :p

Like enabling command queuing resulted in complete corruption that a repair install couldn't fix.

Soldato
I've been using XP 64 for about a week now and have found the following, my EOS300D doens't work with it, at all, not even in PTP mode and there are no drivers out yet, my scanner (Canon Lide 35) and thrustmaster wheel don't work either, compared to the original Windows XP it seems sluggish, there's a lot more disk access for some reason, it's certainly no faster that's for sure, WoW is a nightmare now in Ironforge, you sit around waiting for 10-20 seconds for stuff to load before you can move. I'm planning to go back to XP Pro as soon as I've got a chance to back stuff up.

Soldato
Ka0ticMind said:
Hi...thanks for looking for me, looks like the maya card will be up on the for sale board soon *l* my audigy card died a few weeks ago. :(
Will nod32 work ok? or will i need to wait for esnet to release a 64bit version?
Thanks again.

Regards Nat

Nod32 WILL work however the resident protection won't so unless you schedule daily scans it's pointless.

Dru

Dru

Associate
I've had nothing but good experiences so far. I have drivers for all of my peripherals apart from my webcam, I've found replacement 64-bit apps to tide me over (ie squeeze to replace winrar, winzip etc) and i'm using a free antivirus until nod release a 64-bit beta. My programs seem to run slightly faster, maybe not much but definitly not slower. All in all superb, just waiting for more 64-bit native apps to appear!

Back
Top Bottom