*** The Windows XP x64 Thread ***

Soldato
Bluemike said:
Oh please you sound posh lol but its true punkbuster dont work on it and almost 100% of games use it thats a big prob for gamers like me :rolleyes:

Easy fix for that if you can be bothered looking... Try emailing Evenbalance. 100% of games? Probably 1% more like.

Permabanned
Has anyone got a MSI BTOES bluetooth adapter to work on x64?

Also need to get mp3+g tools working,
Printer drivers due at end of june ( cx3200 )
And i need a version of winzip or win rar that works properly.

Associate
I used my WIDCOMM compatible Bluetooth adapter (USB) last night for the first time under x64 and it worked great. I could only send one file at a time but as that particular company was bought out I don't think we will be seeing any new drivers soon!

I have yet to try the Nokia PC Suite to see if that works. Have you tried the MSI bluetooth?

In addition to posting queries in forums and searching the net, it would probably benefit everyone if people sent in e-mails to the various companies informing them that you do actually wan't drivers! It worked with Epson, it might work with others. That should also be true of apps like winrar.

Get e-mailing :D

Associate
Hello
Does anyone know if there is a deadline for actually installing the free upgrade?
I'm thinking of getting the upgrade now, but then just leave it to one side until the dust/excrement settles.
I'm not really that excited 'cos it's almost impossible to get on my main PC before my kids these days. Fortunately Guildwars runs on my old PC, so it's going to be weeks or months before any of computing experiences require something approaching above average on the tasty scale.
Cheers
snedger

Soldato
I assume this is just me worrying, but can I assume that it's possible to network this computer (XP (32) Pro) and the new computer (XP (64) Pro) and transfer files between them?

Soldato
That was too easy, another question then :p

I have sitting next to me an Actiontec Wireless 802.11b PCI card. I'm going to use this instead of the Belkin USB one I have now, as it is stronger at detecting and receiving signals, as I type the Belkin one is on about 1% strength, which is about normal!

I've emailed the company about 64-bit drivers but I don't expect a reply until next week. It says on the box that it is "fully compatible with all 802.11b products", so can I just use another companies' (belkin, linksys etc) 64-bit drivers? Or does XP 64-bit natively support these PCI cards? (plug and play?)

Soldato
OP
Dave said:
It says on the box that it is "fully compatible with all 802.11b products", so can I just use another companies' (belkin, linksys etc) 64-bit drivers?
I'm afraid not. By that, it means that when properly installed, it will communicate with all other 802.11b compliant devices (access points/other wireless cards) regardless of vendor.

You will need the manufacturers drivers to satisfy the 'properly installed' bit :)

Soldato
Otacon said:
I'm afraid not. By that, it means that when properly installed, it will communicate with all other 802.11b compliant devices (access points/other wireless cards) regardless of vendor.

You will need the manufacturers drivers to satisfy the 'properly installed' bit :)

Is it possible just to do a bit of a bodge-job by using other manufacturers drivers then?

Or does XP64 natively support wireless PCI cards?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
The OS needs to have the drivers already bundled in order for the device to install without any CD's or other media. XP natively supports wireless configuration, but thats something different.

You wont be able to use any other drivers other than those specifically written for your hardware.

Back
Top Bottom