***The Wine Thread***

Associate
That's quite the claim! If The Prisoner is anything to go by I really want to try this, how did you get hold of it? I am struggling to see anywhere that sells it in Europe. Another one I want to get hold of is Machete but again seems tough to find.
I struggle to find any of RS's suggestions in the UK :(.

Amongst several others, I had a bottle of this on Saturday. Lovely developed leather and tobacco on top of the black fruit, and a nice lingering finish. Really good.

Soldato
OP
Yea, I get mine from Germany in general. Movenpick wine seem to be a big importer of the US stuff, I might email them and see what they can get. Nickel and Nickel, K-Vinters and Caymus all need to be in my life more. They're stunning bottles.

Soldato
I had a Californian Zinfandel on Sunday (from Sainsbury's Finest selection - £10) and it was nom. If you like your Italian primitivos (and who doesn't ?) then you'll love Cali Zinfandels.

aMb

aMb

Associate
Yea, I get mine from Germany in general. Movenpick wine seem to be a big importer of the US stuff, I might email them and see what they can get. Nickel and Nickel, K-Vinters and Caymus all need to be in my life more. They're stunning bottles.

I'd be interested what else they can get, although they were also out of stock of Prisoner! I received my delivery from Germany this week along with a few other wines to try...

xfGUwha.jpg

Associate
I'd be interested what else they can get, although they were also out of stock of Prisoner! I received my delivery from Germany this week along with a few other wines to try...
Do you mind me asking who you use to get your wines from Germany? What are the delivery charges like?

Soldato
The 2007?? That's a lovely bottle of bubbles, I have 1 left. I also have 1 bottle of the Tillington Single Vineyard 2009 left, bottle 1427 of 2900, and that is up there with almost any Champagne that I've had. Absolutely beautiful.

Yeah it was the 2007. Just had it tonight actually. It's truly excellent for me. I'm very tempted to pick up that Tillington though!

Associate
Yeah it was the 2007. Just had it tonight actually. It's truly excellent for me. I'm very tempted to pick up that Tillington though!
Excellent. If you can get any of the 2009 Tillington, do it! They also made a 2010 but I don't have any of that. Hoping to pay them another visit in Aug/Sept and will hopefully be able to get more then.

Does anyone here use professional wine storage company? I have a small collection of wine now which I'm looking to keep for a number of years before opening, not for financial gain. The cost of the bottles range from £15-£60. I live in a small terraced house, so have no cellar and no room which I can modify to keep it cool. I do have 1 wine storage cabinet but it's full and I want to continue buying more. I was thinking about putting 9 cases (108 bottles) into a professional cellar, which will cost me about £1 per bottle per year. I don't think that's bad value when another decent wine storage cabinet is £500+, and a Eurocave is £1000+. Interested to hear if anyone else cellars their wine, or has done in the past.

taB

taB

Associate
I'm sure @taB is in the industry

Thank you sir.

We use Octavian in Wiltshire and have a lot of wine kept there. You can go through them directly or I can send you our info if helpful. If it's 9 mixed cases though you'd likely be better with a more local solution. Where are you based Chonky as I may be able to suggest someone? Worth asking around friends too. Our electrician has a large spiral cellar and keeps toys in it...

Soldato
OP
I'm sure i remember you talking about this before! Though that might have just been Cremant
Just seen that!

I looked into it a lot and the only trouble is volume! You have to order a **** ton to even get a slight margin from these places, and then with import tax per bottle to the UK, you can still make a small % per bottle but for it to be a worthwhile investment, you're talking large volume to shift the other side. Which means getting in with the links of BIG resellers in the UK, which appears to be a bit of a pain. Everyone has "wine people" who do it all.

I do own www.hoochexports.com though... just in case, when I've made a nice chunk of cash I decide I want to expand my empire :D

Back
Top Bottom