***The Wine Thread***

Associate
Either is fine, they weren't fussed.
Compared with the other wine regions of France, there isn't a massive selection of Loire reds available at most retailers. They'll tend to be either Cabernet Franc (medium bodied, fruity but can be green and vegetal) or Gamay (light and red-fruity), with the occassional Pinot Noir. With white wine, you have a much bigger selection with some fantastic Chenin Blanc or Sauvignon Blanc, or the more specific Melon de Bourgogne. If you have a good local wine shop close by, then I'm sure they'll be able to help you with a specific wine. You can't go far wrong with a £20 Sancerre or Pouilly-Fume, both Sauvignon Blanc based, or a Vouvrey, which is Chenin Blanc and may have a touch of sweetness to it (sparkling Vouvrey can be lovely and refreshing). If not, then online retailers like Waitrose Wine Cellar or Majestic have a small but decent selection for around that price.

Associate
asda's extra special douro and dao are both really tasty and at a bargain price for what you get in my opinion

Never tried them, but i am portuguese and i do love red wine, Douro region is my favourite.
Worked in cuise ships in this lovely Douro river, where everything is wine related, did it for 6 years.. and tried so many great wines directly on the farm, amazing.

Quinta do Crasto 2013, Quinta do Vallado 2010; Evel; Cabeca de burro 2008,2011
Or pretty much any wine From Casa Ferreirinha(Ferreira's house)
Esteva, Papa Figos

And one that you can get here in Morrisons its Tinto Da Anfora 2014
That one it got me surprised to be a good quality wine and being avaiable in a supermarket here

aMb

aMb

Associate
Currently drinking Aopthic Red for the first time. It could be one of my favourite sub £10 wines so far - smooth, dry, fruity and has low acidity although it is a little on the sweet side.

Seeing as the last few Napa Valley wines I've tried have been excellent I've picked up a couple more for the collection...

8yVYkLy.jpg

Soldato
I have been travelling quite a bit these last two weeks and would like to share my discoveries with you :cool:

First, a stunning Candian Shiraz (who knew?) which scores very well on Vivino It ought to be good at that price, though. Went really well with the rib-eye and bone marrow sauce.

ktcs8tb.jpg

The rest were all enjoyed in Malta:

Middle of the road Cab/Merlot from Malta:

RB9Q7OY.jpg

Fantastic little red from Malta that I got for five euros from a veg stall by the road. I'd give it a 3.7 so it is great value.

gFg1qw4.jpg

Best value was this one from Gozo (tiny island north of Malta) at EUR 7.5, which scores well on vivino
I would have given it a 4 or 4.1 but it is stunning value.

cqjza7P.jpg

Also this local drop, which was fine if not stunning:

jweu7WE.jpg

Local vermentino, not as good as those we had on Sardinia last year, but better value at EUR 6.5:

HMAPmaK.jpg

And some non-Maltese wines we enjoyed:

Q8OB874.jpg

N5A0BqG.jpg

FDGgxla.jpg

There was a fair bit of white consumed because the seafood was amazing.

Soldato
OP
Some nice wines there!

And that Opus is not a shy bottle!

I picked up 2 bottles while I was in the recently, one was a Prisoner company one, the other I forget :p Old vines one, about $70 to haven't drunk it quite yet. I flew back out to the US 4 days later (didn't pick anything up that time, aside from a bottle of gin and 2008 Louis Roederer Rosé in duty free.

FTM

FTM

Soldato

FTM

FTM

Soldato
what is the best white wines available for say circa £5-£10 a bottle available from asda?
depends if you are pairing with food or just easy drinking

the extra special Falanghina goes beautifully with seafood pasta dishes same with their Fiano ( i love better flavoured italian whites, so much more satisfying then watery flavourless pinot grigio!)
the extra special viognier is easy drinking by itself but also suits mildly spiced food

I think Tesco have a better range of whites...especially for spicy food or easy drinking, I really like their Tingleup Aussie riesling and the Alsace Gewurztramier

Caporegime
What do you like? What sort of style?

nothing too fruity. tbh i normally just go for names i have heard of before but i avoid all the cheapo generic stuff like echo falls, etc. it's not for me but friends / family. i got a really nice sauvignon blanc from duty free once, think it's origins were new zealand but i was drinking loads of other things that day and i forgot to take note of what the exact wine was.

riesling is another i tend to get. normally go for south america, new zealand or south africa just because i heard they tend to be better.

Associate
riesling is another i tend to get. normally go for south america, new zealand or south africa just because i heard they tend to be better.
I would disagree. You certainly get lovely Reisling from those countries, but try some from Australia, the US, France, and definately Germany (where you'll also find some superb slightly sweet Riesling). You'll get a variation of styles, but you'll find some superb wines from all of those countries, just don't buy the cheapest bottle on the shelf :).

Back
Top Bottom