***The Wine Thread***

Soldato
Placed an order with Waitrose Cellars, picked it up and when getting home and taking the box out of the car a handle broke.

Only one bottle broke which isn't the end of the world, but it's got red wine all over the labels of the other bottles which makes me sad :(

Soldato
Nice, especially since i'm guessing that doesn't include the 6 bottles of '62 above :D

Since moving house last year all my money seems to be going to this still and i've not bought anything >£40 for about 18 months. I'm really missing having some good champagne.

Other than just buying my go-to Gosset bDb. Anyone have any suggestions around the £80 mark?

In fact the last time i spent this much was a bottle of vintage Delamotte which really disappointed, which was a huge shame as i love their NV.

Soldato
OP
The only one you want other than the NV Delamotte is the Salon, but that ain't in the budget haha

I'd try and bag a bottle of Agrapart & Fils BdB - they do a few BdB but since you like that (me too, it's a fav) then I think you'd really like this.

Saying that I had a 2011 BdB Louis the other day and it was delicious.

Soldato
I ordered some nice 4.0 Rioja from Vivino, at about 9 euros a bottle.

It sounds like we use Vivino in a similar way. The other thing I look at is the number of reviews that averaged to the given score. If there's a cheap 4.3 but it only has forty reviews, then I'll look elsewhere for alternative reviews first.

Great value right now is the Ponte Lungo Curioso Grand Edizione 2015 which has 30% off. Typically Tuscan with cab sauv, sangiovese, and merlot. It scores 4.1 (from 586 ratings) and is £13.25. It's amazing how many have a score of four or higher and are a tenner or under.

Edit: I really want to try the Caballo Loco range. Bit pricey but all are 4.4 or 4.5, which is reflected on other websites. Edit Edit: it's the next Purple Angel by the sound of it.

Soldato
Great value right now is the Ponte Lungo Curioso Grand Edizione 2015 which has 30% off. Typically Tuscan with cab sauv, sangiovese, and merlot. It scores 4.1 (from 586 ratings) and is £13.25. It's amazing how many have a score of four or higher and are a tenner or under.

I suppose it comes down to the mentality of the reviewer. I try and rate it based on quality vs price. So if a wine is only £6 but tastes decent then i'll rate it fairly well.
I might then have a bottle around the £25 mark which is much nicer than the above yet rate it lower as it still falls down at that given price point.

Presume others may use my scoring method and others might score based on absolute taste, which makes it hard to do a proper comparison.

Maybe Vivino needs some scoring metrics which combine to give a final rating rather than just have a single 0-5 choice.

Back
Top Bottom