***The Wine Thread***

Soldato
Had one of the Edgebaston 2013 Cab Francs tonight and it has been sensational. I mean, unbelievable. Soft and herbal, not much typical cab franc pepperiness but loads of fruit. Wow.

Soldato
I’m always a little disappointed with Pinot Noir. It’s a bit too soft for our liking.

Some of the US pinot noirs can be a little "bigger". The non-costal Sonoma's and some of the Oregan and Washington ones too tend to be a bit fuller.

Lots of the finer Burgundies will also have complex finishes too. Not a great time to be buying US wine though given the crap exchange rate.

Soldato
Some of the US pinot noirs can be a little "bigger". The non-costal Sonoma's and some of the Oregan and Washington ones too tend to be a bit fuller.

Lots of the finer Burgundies will also have complex finishes too. Not a great time to be buying US wine though given the crap exchange rate.

I splurged on an Oregon Pinot for my Christmas bird. Ouch.

Soldato
I splurged on an Oregon Pinot for my Christmas bird. Ouch.

Nice. We opened a lovely bottle of Colene Clemens Dopp Creek from Oregon earlier in the year for a roast. High ABV and very rich for a pinot noir. My mate who generally likes darker, heavier red absolutely loved it.

I tend to stick to the Hirsch, Kutch, etc stuff from the Sonoma Coast. Quite similar to Burgundy pinot noir, much lighter and floral.

Soldato
Any recommendations for decent reds to be had from the likes of Sainsbury, Tesco? Budget up to £20??

Something to go alongside my T-bone on NYE at my party for 1.

T-bone means something with a bit about it. If you want the very best quality to price ratio, get Tesco's Finest Argentinian Malbec with the silver label ( https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/264534413 ) it is £8 in store and apparently £6 on delivery. It will enhance your steak if you let it breathe for a couple of hours and drink it at room temp. There is probably better quality around £20 (because Sainsbury's bigger stores always seem to have one wine down from £26-£30 down to £20, I always spend fifteen minutes looking for it) but without being in-store and seeing what is reduced, I can't tell you what it will be. Get the Malbec. Hell, get two and have a proper party! :D

I see Tesco have a better one from the same winemaker (Catena) which is £12 in store and £10 on delivery - https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/280116882. I imagine it will be better. The winemaker is good and the lower-priced one was excellent.

Associate
Any recommendations for decent reds to be had from the likes of Sainsbury, Tesco? Budget up to £20??

Something to go alongside my T-bone on NYE at my party for 1.
I’ve see Chataeuneuf du pape for £20 in Sainsbury’s.

Cabernet Sauvignon has plenty about it also.

Back
Top Bottom