The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
Something just dawned on me... if you can run this game without GOG Galaxy whats stopping me from copying all the files and running it from another computer or giving it to a friend if there is no DRM?

Putting it out there now most Pirated game of 2015...

I read that the game downloads a very small file the first time you play. Guess its some kind of drm.

Soldato
Completely stuck on the werewolf quest. It regenerates health far too quickly. Must be a bug surely?

Also getting really annoying all of the fast travelling now. There are hardly any merchants, and those that there are do not have anything!

Overall, disappointed in the second area you get to. Zero reason to revisit any of the small villages (or even to go to most of them in the first place).

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I gave the game a chance, played it for a few hours but dont think its for me.

Managed to tweak the graphics a bit with a Sweetfx preset, desaturate the colours and increase the constrast mainly. I can max the game out on my rig at 1440 res on Win 8.1, it ran very smooth and no crashes but unfortunately I just couldnt get into it.

For me, the game is too vast, I know this is welcomed by a lot of gamers but I found fast travel made it too easy and running/riding a horse just got boring. I know its a completely different type of game but GTA V, travelling across the map you have hazards to avoid like other cars, buildings, people and the cops etc. In this you can just gallop in one direction and pretty much avoid anything and enemies you can avoid by just continuing to run.

I tried, but just dont have the patience or time to invest in it unfortunately.

Soldato
Right, could the OP or someone combine a list of what sweetfx to use and what options to enable/disable both in game and in the config files to get the best out of this both graphically and performance, way too much in here over the last day! :p

This would prove helpful :) going to do it tnite hopefully

Caporegime
I think in reality if a game crashes when oc'd and doesn't when at stock

then oc is unstable - no question

I've ran all sorts of benchmarks, stress tests etc and thought I was at a stable clock, then in one game may fall over 20 seconds in

just depends on game combo of shaders, tesselation etc etc etc

I suspect this is indeed the issue. I have played just over 4 hours and had one crash...a display driver stopped working crash.

This was happening in GTA V at higher clocks than I have now so I down clocked the OC on my 980 a bit and no crashes since.

Now, I suspect the clocks that have been stable in GTA V are not stable in Witcher 3 so I guess I will have to drop clocks a bit again.

To be honest, looping Heaven, Valley or Furmark all day means nothing. The clock that could run Heaven all day got tripped up in GTA V pretty easily. In reality I suspect graphics card's overlocking potential in general is actually a lot worse than we think. Many times, we just won't have tried something complex enough to trip it up what we thought was a stable clock....

Associate
Move the slider to the left which says unlimited FPS, all the way to the right is locked at 60fps. Try that.

Cheers fella. It's like Nikon camers..Left to remove lens..Canon right to remove lens. I have both but new to Nikon:eek: so doing everything wrong:D

Edit: seen a max of 78fps in the first village, rather than 60fps--Ultra boost 1535MHZ no OC

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I gave the game a chance, played it for a few hours but dont think its for me.

Managed to tweak the graphics a bit with a Sweetfx preset, desaturate the colours and increase the constrast mainly. I can max the game out on my rig at 1440 res on Win 8.1, it ran very smooth and no crashes but unfortunately I just couldnt get into it.

For me, the game is too vast, I know this is welcomed by a lot of gamers but I found fast travel made it too easy and running/riding a horse just got boring. I know its a completely different type of game but GTA V, travelling across the map you have hazards to avoid like other cars, buildings, people and the cops etc. In this you can just gallop in one direction and pretty much avoid anything and enemies you can avoid by just continuing to run.

I tried, but just dont have the patience or time to invest in it unfortunately.

I agree with you the world does seem a little bland, not a lot going on. And im only 6 hours into it but I was far more engaged in Dragon age Inquisition in that time than I am in witcher 3 story. Ill carry on playing and finish the game, I have been looking forward to it for along time. But I think its one of those games that don't live up to the hype.

Soldato
Guys which area would be best to tinker with settings in hope to achieve a stable framerate?

Just started tutorial on the horse, and fluctuating from 35-60 fps on a single OCed 780. I want to try and lock it down to 50-60fps for the majority of the time with the odd innevatble hiccups few and far between.

No point tinkering this early as obviously isn't reflective of more demanding areas.

Also on latest drivers which ive read aren't very good, anyone tried older ones? Ive got 2 olders ones downloaded ready to go but not sure which one.

Caporegime
Guys which area would be best to tinker with settings in hope to achieve a stable framerate?

Just started tutorial on the horse, and fluctuating from 35-60 fps on a single OCed 780. I want to try and lock it down to 50-60fps for the majority of the time with the odd innevatble hiccups few and far between.

No point tinkering this early as obviously isn't reflective of more demanding areas.

Also on latest drivers which ive read aren't very good, anyone tried older ones? Ive got 2 olders ones downloaded ready to go but not sure which one.

Hairworks and Foliage Visibility Range are the biggest fps killers.

Going from Ultra to High shadows gained me about 5fps in most situations as well on my 980. I am leaving it on high as I cannot tell the difference.

I could get a constant 60fps if I turned foliage visibility to high instead of ultra but the lovely long draw distance is worth it in my opinion.I also think hairworks is too nice to turn off as well so I'm settling with some fluctuations down to 45fps for the eye candy.

However, on a 780 I would imagine a constant 60fps is easily doable at 1080p if you turn hairworks off and have foliage visibility and shadows on high.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive got shadows on medium / hair works off and everything else ultra / 1080p using latest drivers.

Does shadows make a big difference in picture quality? (I started with these settings so haven't seen difference it would make on ultra)

Might just lock it to 30 and see how it feels, playing on TV and 30fps doesn't usually bother me on consoles but on PC it sometimes feels a bit sluggish

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ive got shadows on medium / hair works off and everything else ultra / 1080p using latest drivers.

Does shadows make a big difference in picture quality? (I started with these settings so haven't seen difference it would make on ultra)

I can't really tell the difference between high and ultra shadows. I'm sure there is a difference but it is very subtle and nets me a decent few frames.

Foliage visibility is a massive hit on frame rate but it really does look fantastic with it on ultra.

Back
Top Bottom