The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
I think in reality if a game crashes when oc'd and doesn't when at stock

then oc is unstable - no question

I've ran all sorts of benchmarks, stress tests etc and thought I was at a stable clock, then in one game may fall over 20 seconds in

just depends on game combo of shaders, tesselation etc etc etc

Associate
Lol @ some of people here saying they were not impressed with the visuals. This game looks stunning on ultra , in fact one of the best looking games I have seen.

Should have gone to specsavers.

Soldato
Apparently the game hates overclocking, you could try downclocking it a little and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks. I think I will try this as a last resort. GOG have released a list of fixes that I will go through first. One seems quite promising already, as it says to switch display modes, and yesterday evening I changed from Borderless to Full-screen.

Quite a few people have reported this. It freezes in inventory menus, with the mujsic still playing, and you have to kill it with Task Manager

Soldato
Lol @ some of people here saying they were not impressed with the visuals. This game looks stunning on ultra , in fact one of the best looking games I have seen.

Should have gone to specsavers.
It looks great, but it's certainly not setting a new standard for visuals, which I guess some people were expecting. It doesn't look any better than Dragon Age: Inquisition for example, which is a similar game with similarly large environments, but the fact it looks as good coming from a studio without anything like the resources of EA behind them is impressive in its own way.

Soldato
So it looks like you can get close to the 2013 version by modifying user settings .ini and playing with some post process (mostly color settings, reducing that nasty yellow tint). You can read the thread on polish forums if you want here:

https://translate.google.com/transl...l/S043.asp?ID=13706243&N=1&edit-text=&act=url

Don't bother it's utter rubbish, disables shadowing on trees and looks considerably worse. The bottom pic is after pasting the 'modified' ini settings.

Soldato
Thought I would post this here too since so many are wondering about the sweet fx.

Here is a quick side by side comparison of that sweet fx I posted and the default game colours.

SweetFX left side. Default Colours right side.

The sand for a start looks so much better to me compared to the orange sand with the default colours.

w4iJvZh.jpg

Associate
Getting an average of 120 FPS on my rig everything maxed out, including motion blur which I hate. Spec in sig. Had to move it back to the drive where it was installed to get the patch to work.

One of the cutscenes at the very start the FPS plummeted to 30 FPS.

How are you getting 120fps? Mine is locked to 60?

Caporegime
With a bit of tweaking I've managed to get this running really well on half a 7990! Quite impressed. Everything ultra apart from shadows/grass density and foliage distance which are high. Hairworks is off. Turned off SBAO and blur/DoF/AA/sharpening/Vsync and used the SweetFX profile from the last page and it runs smooth and looks great, 40-60fps so far.

Can't wait for a Crossfire profile now to max it!

Caporegime
It looks great, but it's certainly not setting a new standard for visuals, which I guess some people were expecting. It doesn't look any better than Dragon Age: Inquisition for example, which is a similar game with similarly large environments, but the fact it looks as good coming from a studio without anything like the resources of EA behind them is impressive in its own way.

I think a lot of people consider design and graphics quality the same things when they aren't.

Same as art, you can like a painting that is well put together even if I don't know, the brush work isn't actually technically very good. The design of the world is pretty damn good and looks great, but the pieces in that world aren't particularly high quality. If the textures were significantly better, the colour palette wasn't insane at default settings and certain other things were improved it would look even better.

You also get games that have technically speaking brilliant lighting or ultra high quality textures... but were designed by a half dead colour blind emotionless husk and have a game that has great graphics but looks terrible because the games design/style is awful.

The world generally looks very good, but closer inspection of a lot of it shows most of it is for a 2015 AAA release.... fairly substandard in quality. Textures up close are the most obviously lacking thing, with frankly crap looking/modeled armour/weapons. Player model and NPC's look pretty poor by current standards and stick out the most.

Caporegime
So it looks like you can get close to the 2013 version by modifying user settings .ini and playing with some post process (mostly color settings, reducing that nasty yellow tint). You can read the thread on polish forums if you want here:

https://translate.google.com/transl...l/S043.asp?ID=13706243&N=1&edit-text=&act=url

When I copy those settings over and change the resolution and memory usage it won't save properly and on opening and closing the game it reverts to previous settings in the file.

Associate
Hey guys,

Thought I share my experience with the game so far.

I am running a 7970 ghz edition with 8g ram, i7 4970k @4.6 ghz with windows 8.1x64.
cat 15.4 drivers.

At 1080p with everything on ultra except Foliage and shadows on high (both hit the fps hard on ultra) and I am getting between 35- 50 outside and hit 60 fps inside caves/rooms. Not a single crash on my first play through yesterday (9 hours :D).

For cutscenes, I changed ubersampling to false and fps to 60 in the visual.ini file. Now i get high 40s to mid 50s fps in non-hectic cut scenes.

Associate
Anyone elses game stalling now and again when in the inventory? Will be working fine then will hover over to read it's desc and it freezes. Happened a few times now.

Caporegime
Right, could the OP or someone combine a list of what sweetfx to use and what options to enable/disable both in game and in the config files to get the best out of this both graphically and performance, way too much in here over the last day! :p

Back
Top Bottom