The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
I'm on 980 SLI, with everything Ultra and all eye candy cranked up full I'm getting 70-80fps at 1440p.

This game seems to be optimised extremely well. SLI sees both cards in the 90%+ usage and the vram hovers around 2.5GB. Maybe a lesson there for the other greedy/lazy devs that consume twice the vram for less visuals? Or am I overlooking something?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Does anyone else's game just randomly freeze with the sound continuing and what sounds like the game continuing in the background (i can hear the game go into the menus etc when I press the associated button)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on 980 SLI, with everything Ultra and all eye candy cranked up full I'm getting 70-80fps at 1440p.

This game seems to be optimised extremely well. SLI sees both cards in the 90%+ usage and the vram hovers around 2.5GB. Maybe a lesson there for the other greedy/lazy devs that consume twice the vram for less visuals? Or am I overlooking something?

Spot on mate. It's about time someone paved the way for how it should be on PC.

Associate
Does anyone else's game just randomly freeze with the sound continuing and what sounds like the game continuing in the background (i can hear the game go into the menus etc when I press the associated button)

YES! it has happened to me around 7 times, although that was during a long session. had to restart the game and thankfully I save pretty often.

Soldato
I've been as equally impressed with my 7950, yet to install the 1.03 patch so hope to see a minor improvement there.

And this is before AMD have released their optimised 15.5 drivers too.

I've been extremely impressed with my 7950 ICE Edition. I was about to by a 980 (NVIDIAs turn, I alternate cards) and just saw no reason to. I don't have Hairworks running but still really enjoying the game tremendously. I'm bound a replay at some point next year and by then I'll have a secondhand Titan or 980 and really turn those sliders up.

Soldato
Went back to do some witcher contracts I missed earlier on, Jenny o' the woods was ploughing difficult! :p

Totally stuck on her. I barely move her HP bar so coming back to her later. Was stuck on the Werewolf too but absolutely annihilated him yesterday after figuring out his weaknesses. I love the fact that you don't steamroll the monsters/bosses. Took me a good 5-6min to kill the shrieker and grave hag yesterday and they only dropped in HP fast after I figured out, during the fight, their weaknesses to whatever Signs and oils/potions.

Soldato
i gained about 5 fps from that last patch so im happy with that. Loving the story and the quests. The music is also really great too, adds to the atmosphere so well. This already feels like its going to be my game of the year. The best part of it is that most of the quests are actually interesting. You get some really simple boring ones but the majority are actually very good with interesting storylines. Blood and Broken Bones is probably the best difficulty to play this on aswell. Its Hard and provides you with a good challenge and you actually have to think about how to kill things but its not too hard that its like dark souls or something and gets frustrating. Iv had lots of silly deaths though lol. Died a few times from dropping off a ledge and hitting the floor too hard. Kill a mega hard boss but then die to a pack of wolves or something because your rushing and not thinking lol.

Last edited:
Caporegime

YES! it has happened to me around 7 times, although that was during a long session. had to restart the game and thankfully I save pretty often.

Have you both got overclocks on your gpu? I bet in event viewer you have got some display driver stopped responding and recovered messages in there.

Soldato
Have you both got overclocks on your gpu? I bet in event viewer you have got some display driver stopped responding and recovered messages in there.

Mines done that twice since i bought the game aswell. Took the overclock off my GPU and it still does it. Surely it must be a game bug as i can still hear the music and move the mouse curser around in game still but the picture is just froze.

ljt

ljt

Soldato

I have got the messages. No overclock other than the factory one that it came with. In fact it's now doing it even when browsing this thread! It's only since updating to the most recent drivers (nvidia)

Caporegime
I have got the messages. No overclock other than the factory one that it came with. In fact it's now doing it even when browsing this thread! It's only since updating to the most recent drivers (nvidia)

I have read, and found the crashing when browsing with the new drivers is fixed with a completely clean install ( ie uninstalling all NVidia stuff through windows and restarting and then installing the new drivers)

Soldato
Going to really enjoy this game, right up my street.

Just finished the first area and gone to vizima or what ever its called. The first area is essentially just a glorified tutorial right? Did all the ? places, and what ever side quests were available on the boards and only levelled to 4!! Gold and levelling seem very slow.

Anyhow also crafted some good Witcher viper swords, and bought a decent set of armour.

Regarding levelling up points, is it worth spending them on tier one stuff spread out or should I save them? For example im not interested in some of them like advancing heavy strike etc would rather channel them into advancing light strike and waiting till the 2nd tier unlocks ?

(and gtx 970 coming tomorrow!!)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, relentlessly.

If you have OCed turn the OC down a tad. I had my 780 at 1250MHz and it would crash every few hours. Knocked it back to 1200mhz and was more stable but still got 1 crash. So gone down to 1150MHz and its been rock solid so far. Tuned memory down from +500 to +400 as well. Ive read from a few places OCs are less stable with this game.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I have read, and found the crashing when browsing with the new drivers is fixed with a completely clean install ( ie uninstalling all NVidia stuff through windows and restarting and then installing the new drivers)

Just doing that as I type! Hopefully this fixes it, its starting to drive me a little bonkers!

Associate
If you have OCed turn the OC down a tad. I had my 780 at 1250MHz and it would crash every few hours. Knocked it back to 1200mhz and was more stable but still got 1 crash. So gone down to 1150MHz and its been rock solid so far. Tuned memory down from +500 to +400 as well. Ive read from a few places OCs are less stable with this game.
Just got a factory overclock on my cards. Gigabyte g1 970 sli.

Back
Top Bottom