The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
Speaking of the XP bug, I just completed a contract on Skellig to kill a fiend and went from 100/2000 xp LV20 to 1990/2000 xp from killing it, and then got another 500 for handing the quest in, that must be bugged. :D

I have just updated to the new AMD beta driver and am getting about 40-45 fps on ultra settings with my R9 290. Why is my fps so low?

I think that might be what the card can manage, a lot of people on 980s are getting between 40-60 and it's a Nvidia game ontop of that aswell. The game does have optimisation issues though, after a few patches your fps may improve a little. Just don't expect to be matching the 980s in here and whatnot.

Oh god that sounds like I'm hating on AMD :( RIP

Soldato
You did turn down the foliage distance to High and the same with shadows? Hits FPS pretty hard for not much more detail.

No I think everything is on the highest settings apart from Nvidia Hairworks which is off.

I will try turning them down but it's just annoying me a bit as I didn't get this card that long ago.

Thanks for the help.

Soldato
Anyone using an R9 290 (stock clocks with reference cooler) @ 1080p 120Hz?

Just wondering how it performs.

EDIT also which is the best patch to run? From reading back a few pages it seems the latest patch is not so good?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have just updated to the new AMD beta driver and am getting about 40-45 fps on ultra settings with my R9 290. Why is my fps so low?
I am getting that without the those drivers installed and apparently the drivers don't make much of a difference at all so I suspect what you're getting is bang on target give or take a few frames.

Anyone using an R9 290 (stock clocks with reference cooler) @ 1080p 120Hz?
Just wondering how it performs.
EDIT also which is the best patch to run? From reading back a few pages it seems the latest patch is not so good?

I am running my 290 on stock @ 1080p 144Hz. Getting around 40-50fps. Most of my settings are on High/Ultra, with Hairworks off. This is with a 5ghz i7 and 16GB of ram. Using the AMD drivers that were optimised for GTAV v15.4 Betas.

Last edited:
Soldato
No I think everything is on the highest settings apart from Nvidia Hairworks which is off.

I will try turning them down but it's just annoying me a bit as I didn't get this card that long ago.

Thanks for the help.

No reason to get annoyed, Witcher 3 on Maximum settings is one of the most demanding titles out there; its massively open world, so it uses a lot of resources, and looks pretty good to boot!
You need to consider most people will be getting worse performance except those who've spent a LOT of money.

At least its playable at ultra settings now unlike say Crysis was on release; and you'll likely get better performance as patches and later drivers hit, simply turn down a few settings and you should be happier still.

You can't expect even high end cards to ALWAYS run every game out there at maximum with high FPS or we'd simply get no development ever, plus there'd be no need for SLI/Crossfire and the likes.

Permabanned
No reason to get annoyed, Witcher 3 on Maximum settings is one of the most demanding titles out there; its massively open world, so it uses a lot of resources, and looks pretty good to boot!
You need to consider most people will be getting worse performance except those who've spent a LOT of money.

At least its playable at ultra settings now unlike say Crysis was on release; and you'll likely get better performance as patches and later drivers hit, simply turn down a few settings and you should be happier still.

You can't expect even high end cards to ALWAYS run every game out there at maximum with high FPS or we'd simply get no development ever, plus there'd be no need for SLI/Crossfire and the likes.

lol yeah, I tried Crysis today on the 980 and I was getting 140+ fps right at the start with it all maxed out, pretty sure on release I was getting 14fps :) Although that would have been a really really old card :)

Soldato
Thanks to everyone who has responded, it definitely makes me feel a bit better about it.

I will adjust the two settings mentioned earlier and hopefully that will help. The main reason why I was so surprised is because I'm sure I read that according to the release notes the patch would give a performance increase. Obviously that should be taken with a pinch of salt....

Soldato
The artifact that allows you to dispel illusions seems to have vanished from my inventory. Does anyone know if it was limited use or or if not where I can buy it again?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you just have it and use it automatically.

On a related note, has anyone found any uses for any of the quest items outside of the specific uses you have them for?... I've been looking for things but not found anything yet.

Permabanned
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you just have it and use it automatically.

On a related note, has anyone found any uses for any of the quest items outside of the specific uses you have them for?... I've been looking for things but not found anything yet.

The lantern can be used in other areas, the areas you can use it is not like the quest, ie it wont show the green bubble type things like the quest does.

Associate
Just finished my first play through after 76 hours. I'm looking forward to starting again as there are some choices I would do differently, I will also try a different spec and do ALL the side quests :D

Back
Top Bottom