The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
OP
I didnt test the first person mod, but if someone implements high quality Oculus support for it, I would definitely test it once I buy Rift. Walking around Novigrad, Toussaint, in VR...god damn.

Associate
I'm still struggling to play this game. I bought it on day one for the PS4, and later on PC, but I've still yet to get further than White Orchard! I'm not certain if it's the underwhelming combat, or the third-person perspective, but something is putting me off this game! I can see that it's beautifully crafted, but I cannot lose myself in it's world!

Last edited:
Caporegime
@Paul_cz

What settings are you using (mainly AA and sharpness setting?)

Also, are you using a sweetfx config? If so, link please.

I'm still struggling to play this game. I bought it on day one for the PS4, and later on PC, but I've still yet to get further than White Orchard! I'm not certain if it's the underwhelming combat, or the third-person perspective, but something is putting me off this game! I can see that it's a beautifully crafted, but I cannot lose myself in it's world!

Not the only one.

For me it was mainly the clunky and boring combat (the gore/violence is great though), terrible UI (especially considering how much stuff there is) and the 15 minutes of lectures/waffling every time I encounter some NPC and what made that part even more frustrating is that the dialogue had nothing to do with the story line a lot the time, just dragged out for the sake of it imo.

Soldato
OP
no sweetfx, stlm 3.1 on, AA ingame enabled, sharpeness low, 4K via DSR downsampled to 1080p

UI, dialogue and combat are great btw, heathens

Soldato
@Paul_cz

What settings are you using (mainly AA and sharpness setting?)

Also, are you using a sweetfx config? If so, link please.

Not the only one.

For me it was mainly the clunky and boring combat (the gore/violence is great though), terrible UI (especially considering how much stuff there is) and the 15 minutes of lectures/waffling every time I encounter some NPC and what made that part even more frustrating is that the dialogue had nothing to do with the story line a lot the time, just dragged out for the sake of it imo.

Be proud, I've spent 165h with it and even attempted a second playthrough (failed):D Had some fun moments but all that's truly worthwhile in this game could've been trimmed to less than half of that, including the story and dialogues. Didn't have that much of a problem with the length of the dialogues themselves but to say all of them were superbly written and meaningful would be a huge overstatement. And yes, combat is indeed slightly sub-par, as are the animations and mechanics. Got used to the UI fairly quickly but it's hardly a work of art so I share most of your sentiments. The game also gets really easy quickly. Enjoyed B&W the most.

I had a decent SweetFX as I couldn't stand the colour palette, will give you a link if I find it.

Associate
I purchased Skyrim at launch in 2011 and still play it to this day, which is a testament to it's replayability! It's not without it's faults, as many Witcher fans would be quick to point out, but there's something to be said about tailoring a character to your preferred playstyle. I can be an archer, mage, thief or warrior. I'm not restricted to being a specific character, and I don't have to abide by some preset personality.
The addition of a first-person perspective is a major selling point also. I really hope that CD Projekt Red includes the option with Cyberpunk 2077!

Edit: Another thing I liked about Skyrim was the NPC scheduling.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Be proud, I've spent 165h with it and even attempted a second playthrough (failed):D Had some fun moments but all that's truly worthwhile in this game could've been trimmed to less than half of that, including the story and dialogues. Didn't have that much of a problem with the length of the dialogues themselves but to say all of them were superbly written and meaningful would be a huge overstatement. And yes, combat is indeed slightly sub-par, as are the animations and mechanics. Got used to the UI fairly quickly but it's hardly a work of art so I share most of your sentiments. The game also gets really easy quickly. Enjoyed B&W the most.

I had a decent SweetFX as I couldn't stand the colour palette, will give you a link if I find it.

Will give it a try if you can find it, thanks.

I've had a look at a few sweetfx configs but most have either overdone the colours or been more "realistic" but then inside buildings and at night time, it has been far too dark (and any source of light has been too blinding)

Soldato
Will give it a try if you can find it, thanks.

I've had a look at a few sweetfx configs but most have either overdone the colours or been more "realistic" but then inside buildings and at night time, it has been far too dark (and any source of light has been too blinding)

The truth is, SweetFX sucks in general. It's very hard to find something worthwhile.

Associate
That's why I asked if anyone could try the first-person mod, I think the game would be incredible in first-person mode.

Bolting a camera on the player model isn't a solution, as the game was designed with third-person in mind. The mod might be nice for exploration or taking screenshots, but I'd wager that combat and horse riding would be next to impossible!

Soldato
OP
I purchased Skyrim at launch in 2011 and still play it to this day, which is a testament to it's replayability! It's not without it's faults, as many Witcher fans would be quick to point out, but there's something to be said about tailoring a character to your preferred playstyle. I can be an archer, mage, thief or warrior. I'm not restricted to being a specific character, and I don't have to abide by some preset personality.
The addition of a first-person perspective is a major selling point also. I really hope that CD Projekt Red includes the option with Cyberpunk 2077!

They are completely different types of RPGs, yes. Witcher 3 annihilates Skyrim in writing and quest design, but it does not allow for wide character customization since it is a sequel to specific books with specific characters. But if you can enjoy games like Red Dead Redemption and others with set characters, you should have no problem getting into Witcher series.

Associate
I'm still struggling to play this game. I bought it on day one for the PS4, and later on PC, but I've still yet to get further than White Orchard! I'm not certain if it's the underwhelming combat, or the third-person perspective, but something is putting me off this game! I can see that it's beautifully crafted, but I cannot lose myself in it's world!

Im pretty much in the same boat, I have however tried to make things better by removing the clothes of women with mods and removing the weapon degradation. I just don't think its for me despite being told its the best thing ever. Ill give it a bit more time yet but I find I have to force myself to boot the game up.

Soldato

Stick at it Bishie! It is a bit of a slow burner and the wealth of menus left me feeling a bit overwhelmed and frustrated at first. I struggled with the combat too at first and knocked the difficulty down to easy for the first few hours until I got to grips with it (it's generally 2-3 strikes then dodge that works for most enemies) - after a while the combat actually becomes quite easy and satisfying - I knocked it back up to normal but I should really have increased it further if I'm honest. The combat is only a small proportion of what this game is all about though - its the story, journey, people you meet and general experience that makes it special. Not to mention the strumpets...

Soldato

Complete opposite for me, I started skyrim twice and although I played for a long time on both occasions I eventually got bored both times before completing a full playthrough. I love the story, quests, characters and dialogue with Witcher 3, and although its fun to create your character with games like skyrim and be able to pick different types of characters, I enjoy playing a really well designed and interesting character, rather than one that says nothing.

Back
Top Bottom