The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
Modding games is part of the fun to me, since I switched to pc gaming 2 years ago ive found modding almost as fun as playing the game lol its all part of it to me, ok some people may not be into it but for me its what sets the pc apart from consoles :)

I love taking a game and making it how I want it both in looks and gameplay, I literally spent HRS modding skyrim to get it how I wanted it, I enjoyed the game a hell of a lot more after as well, I say each to his own but to me modding the witcher ( and other games) makes them more enjoyable to play for me :)

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't relish the idea of playing games as envisioned by a collective of fans. I find they often detract from what the developer intended. I prefer to play games vanilla, warts and all, but that's just me! :p

Soldato
I've never understood why people buy recent games and proceed to mod them immediately, as if the developer's choice of aesthetics are grossly inadequate.

Reminds me of my Aunt. Would go off on one at my Uncle as the first thing he'd do to his food is add salt.

She was like at least taste it and see if I haven't salted it already..... etc etc

Associate
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't relish the idea of playing games as envisioned by a collective of fans. I find they often detract from what the developer intended. I prefer to play games vanilla, warts and all, but that's just me! :p

No theres quite a lot of people who don't want to mod or like modding, its each to there own, just to me personally I find it fun :)

Soldato
For the ones running fast travel from anywhere just be careful with that, if you port out of a quest area before it's finished and the cutscene hasn't triggered you'll have to use console commands to fix it (I did this and had to command flags back in to say I'd spoken to Radovid to progress the story)

Soldato

Yeah I'm the same, pretty much for those reasons plus I just can't be bothered to mess around with mods. :)

Though I totally understand why some people love it, and its great to have the option.

Soldato
Didn't they release a high resolution texture pack? Either way, I didn't notice much of a difference, but the game certainly looked decent back in 2011.

It took a while for the official "mod" texture to come out, it should have come out at time of release. Because I played it without the official HD pack, and had to use after market mods- because it looked bad.

Soldato
It took a while for the official "mod" texture to come out, it should have come out at time of release. Because I played it without the official HD pack, and had to use after market mods- because it looked bad.

I guess that's one good reason for mods, to be able to enjoy half assed Bethesda games at launch.

Associate
I decided to revert my save and complete the quest involving the assassination of Radovid, which led to a much better outcome. I'm now in a better position to continue with the expansions!

Associate
Well I may be a little late to the party but I've finally started putting some hours into Witcher 3. Haven't played the previous but enjoying this one so far. Any tips for a Witcher newbee, or help with early weapons and armour etc?

Associate
Well I may be a little late to the party but I've finally started putting some hours into Witcher 3. Haven't played the previous but enjoying this one so far. Any tips for a Witcher newbee, or help with early weapons and armour etc?

Firstly, make sure you turn off points of interest after you leave White Orchard, otherwise you will quickly become overwhelmed with map markers, plus it also detracts from the exploration aspect.

Enable alternative movement response in the options, and disable the fish eye effect also.

Don't forget to invest in the alternate quen sign! It's easily one of the best defenses available, as it can heal you when taking damage from enemies, traps etc. If you combine it with the explosive effect, it can stagger multiple opponents. You can use it in tandem with the passive version of the shield also.

Edit: You might want to invest in the gourmet skill, which makes the effects of food last much longer!

Last edited:
Associate
Firstly, make sure you turn off points of interest after you leave White Orchard, otherwise you will quickly become overwhelmed with map markers, plus it also detracts from the exploration aspect.

Enable alternative movement response in the options, and disable the fish eye effect also.

Don't forget to invest in the alternate quen sign! It's easily one of the best defenses available, as it can heal you when taking damage from enemies, traps etc. If you combine it with the explosive effect, it can stagger multiple opponents. You can use it in tandem with the passive version of the shield also.

Edit: You might want to invest in the gourmet skill, which makes the effects of food last much longer!
Thanks for those. Your right about the map markers though, it already looks like I've got loads going on. Will check those settings as well.

The signs, levelling and the where to spend my points is still baffling me, I've played skyrim fallout etc but it's taking me some time to get used to these in this game

Associate
Thanks for those. Your right about the map markers though, it already looks like I've got loads going on. Will check those settings as well.

The signs, levelling and the where to spend my points is still baffling me, I've played skyrim fallout etc but it's taking me some time to get used to these in this game

Under general skills, I'd recommend the following:

Gourmet
Eating food regenerates Vitality for 20 minutes.

(This is a worthwhile investment. Unlike Skyrim, you can't consume potions in large quantities, because of toxicity. You will rely on food, especially during the early stages.)

Strong Back
Maximum inventory weight is increased by 60.

(Increasing your carry weight is essential, because loot is in abundance.)

Survival Instinct
Increases maximum Vitality by 500

(The extra health is a nice advantage, especially on harder difficulties.)

The rest depends entirely on your style of play. I favoured defensive qualities over offense, and managed to complete the base game on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty with very few deaths. (Most were attributed to fall damage.)

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for those. I'll have a look for sure. I'm level 8 at the moment so haven't invested into gourmet or strong back but they definitely seem to be a worth while pick. Regaining health is the thing I'm struggling with, so easy in Skyrim but this is so different. Mid fight trying to shove down a loaf of bread and dodge while some health regenerates makes for a very different play style from me

Associate
Thanks for those. I'll have a look for sure. I'm level 8 at the moment so haven't invested into gourmet or strong back but they definitely seem to be a worth while pick. Regaining health is the thing I'm struggling with, so easy in Skyrim but this is so different. Mid fight trying to shove down a loaf of bread and dodge while some health regenerates makes for a very different play style from me

That's where the alternate quen sign comes in handy!

Look at 0:27 onwards for a demonstration. (Notice how Geralt's health increases with each hit!)

Back
Top Bottom