The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
OP
Can anyone who has TW3 installed and has nVidia card with latest drivers test if DSR is working for you? The game crashes when I increase resolution from native 1080p to 1440 or 4K....I would like to know if it is on my end or if nVidia drivers are at fault.

Soldato
Can anyone who has TW3 installed and has nVidia card with latest drivers test if DSR is working for you? The game crashes when I increase resolution from native 1080p to 1440 or 4K....I would like to know if it is on my end or if nVidia drivers are at fault.

Just fired it up and working okay for me. Have a 3440 x 1440 panel so have DSR factors based on that, but works fine using 416.34 drivers

Soldato
Interesting. Maybe that older driver works. But I read that it causes some flicker in Witcher?

416.34 is the latest driver out, Unless there is a newer one which I am not seeing?

With that said I tried Witcher 3 using a month old driver first and downloaded the new driver in the background, partly based on your post and needed an update and both the older one and the new one worked fine.

Soldato
OP
416.34 is the latest driver out, Unless there is a newer one which I am not seeing?

With that said I tried Witcher 3 using a month old driver first and downloaded the new driver in the background, partly based on your post and needed an update and both the older one and the new one worked fine.
yeah there is 416.64 which I am using that crashes the game with DSR
https://wccftech.com/new-nvidia-gef...er-world-shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-far-cry-5/

"Fixes Witcher 3" but...not quite

Soldato
yeah there is 416.64 which I am using that crashes the game with DSR
https://wccftech.com/new-nvidia-gef...er-world-shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-far-cry-5/

"Fixes Witcher 3" but...not quite

That is weird. Playing okay with 416.34, it does not crash at all like your seeing with DSR enabled and set. Not seeing the flickering Nvidia is alluding too, but only played for 5 mins or so to check it was not crashing so not sure if flickering may happen outside that window.

Soldato
OP
That is weird. Playing okay with 416.34, it does not crash at all like your seeing with DSR enabled and set. Not seeing the flickering Nvidia is alluding too, but only played for 5 mins or so to check it was not crashing so not sure if flickering may happen outside that window.
What is weird is that .34 version actually did BSOD, and I have it confirmed from several other people, and yet for you it works.
And on reddit someone confirmed that .64 version also crashes DSR for him same way as for me, although now without BSOD.

Well, hopefully whatever nVidia is messing up will get fixed in the next version...I got RTX 2080 to downsample from 4K and it doesn't work, fail :D

Soldato
What is weird is that .34 version actually did BSOD, and I have it confirmed from several other people, and yet for you it works.
And on reddit someone confirmed that .64 version also crashes DSR for him same way as for me, although now without BSOD.

Well, hopefully whatever nVidia is messing up will get fixed in the next version...I got RTX 2080 to downsample from 4K and it doesn't work, fail :D

That is odd! Is it Turing related? Not sure what GPU's the other's you refer to have. Using Pascal here not Turing. But yeah, hopefully they do remedy it for those who have issues!

Soldato
OP
That is odd! Is it Turing related? Not sure what GPU's the other's you refer to have. Using Pascal here not Turing. But yeah, hopefully they do remedy it for those who have issues!

Funnily enough that turing RTX 2080 died on me today. Just straight up dead while the PC was on, in windows, no apps running, it lost signal and it's dead. I plugged in the old 1070 and all works again.

Not that this has anything to do with DSR not working, but I found it funny. GPU for 850 bucks and it dies 4 days after installing it.

I'm massively tempted to pick this up while it's on sale!

This is a no-brainer, what the hell are you waiting for.

Soldato
Funnily enough that turing RTX 2080 died on me today. Just straight up dead while the PC was on, in windows, no apps running, it lost signal and it's dead. I plugged in the old 1070 and all works again.

Not that this has anything to do with DSR not working, but I found it funny. GPU for 850 bucks and it dies 4 days after installing it.

This is a no-brainer, what the hell are you waiting for.

Damm, that really does suck. It seems 2080Ti's have been having issues with FE PCB (or maby people better reporting) so not sure if same applies with 2080. Either way hope you get it sorted as that sucks.

Soldato
OP
Damm, that really does suck. It seems 2080Ti's have been having issues with FE PCB (or maby people better reporting) so not sure if same applies with 2080. Either way hope you get it sorted as that sucks.
Yeah it is annoying as hell, but I am glad RDR2 is out and I did not sell that 1070 yet :) Hopefully RMA will go well.

Soldato
Anyone have an answer on this?

Completed the original base game and still have the saves in documents. If i want to play both expansions, can I buy the cheaper GOTY edition and use my save files on this install as opposed to buying both expansions separately and installing them on my original base game then use the saves on that?

Soldato
Anyone have an answer on this?

Completed the original base game and still have the saves in documents. If i want to play both expansions, can I buy the cheaper GOTY edition and use my save files on this install as opposed to buying both expansions separately and installing them on my original base game then use the saves on that?
I don't think you can transfer saves to the GOTY edition on consoles, but I'm not sure about the PC.

EDIT: after a little digging around I think you can, just need to put the save files in the right place depending where you bought it.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I've just finished the base game.
I still have Hearts of Stone and B&W to play but I think I'll take a rest from TW3 and play either Horizon or GOW first.

I loved the game but I don't think its a 10/10. Its not better than BOTW. It sacrifices gameplay for storytelling. I played on Death March and certain boss fights near the end were just a quen and whirl fest. Not really that imaginative. Graphics wise, its beautiful but every NPC apart from Geralt and the Ending cut scenes feel severely cut down and lacking in detail. The Tree and plant physics were horrible. Pacing wise, it was okay. I felt like for 90 hours, it could have easily been 45 hours. For how far the story does extend, I miss the fact we didn't get to truly delve into the world of the sorcerers nor did we get to really become intimate with either political faction unlike in TW2.

Combat was fun to begin with but ultimately is very basic and unrefined compared to other titles.
Exploration was rubbish. I'll be honest, the world is TOO big. Theres no charm to discovering something. Theres too many useless NPCs scattered around the place. This is something Nintendo does VERY well. If you see an NPC outside in the world, you get excited, you now you've found something. In TW3 the only thing which distinguishes these people are the ? on a map.
Talking about the world design - its simply too big and cluttered. I loved the look of Novigrad and all the cities but i hated actually walking around them because they were too big, too unfamiliar. If you compared it to something like a village in BOTW where you feel you understand and know every house.. its just a much better feeling. I get what they're doing; they're going for realism but planting 200 useless NPCs, and 100 useless houses is hardly great world design.

I felt like the alchemy side of things was FAR too simple. I miss TW2 actually wanting to get resources and plants. In this game, you only need them for a one time production of an item and that kind of sucked. I didn't particularly like the upgrade system of the bombs either or the level capping of gear. I found an awesome sword early game and never got to use it. It made getting loot very underwhelming and discouraged me from exploring.

The side quests are where this game really shines. Its awesome. Sound design and voice acting 10/10. Main plot and story 9/10. I felt like it missed a few opportunities to truly tug at the heart strings, the Triss/Yenn romance was kind of... abandoned... at the end which was a bit strange. The endings, especially the bad one, are amazing. The Villain however was very poorly crafted.

Overall I loved this game. I hear the expansions are basically better than the original game in story telling, sacrifcing scope and breadth so I look forward to them next year.
Although I'm being very critical of it, its a 9/10 for me. I can't give it a 10. As a story telling experience, it can pass for a 10 but as a video game... no.

Permabanned
So I've just finished the base game.
I still have Hearts of Stone and B&W to play but I think I'll take a rest from TW3 and play either Horizon or GOW first.

I loved the game but I don't think its a 10/10. Its not better than BOTW. It sacrifices gameplay for storytelling. I played on Death March and certain boss fights near the end were just a quen and whirl fest. Not really that imaginative. Graphics wise, its beautiful but every NPC apart from Geralt and the Ending cut scenes feel severely cut down and lacking in detail. The Tree and plant physics were horrible. Pacing wise, it was okay. I felt like for 90 hours, it could have easily been 45 hours. For how far the story does extend, I miss the fact we didn't get to truly delve into the world of the sorcerers nor did we get to really become intimate with either political faction unlike in TW2.

Combat was fun to begin with but ultimately is very basic and unrefined compared to other titles.
Exploration was rubbish. I'll be honest, the world is TOO big. Theres no charm to discovering something. Theres too many useless NPCs scattered around the place. This is something Nintendo does VERY well. If you see an NPC outside in the world, you get excited, you now you've found something. In TW3 the only thing which distinguishes these people are the ? on a map.
Talking about the world design - its simply too big and cluttered. I loved the look of Novigrad and all the cities but i hated actually walking around them because they were too big, too unfamiliar. If you compared it to something like a village in BOTW where you feel you understand and know every house.. its just a much better feeling. I get what they're doing; they're going for realism but planting 200 useless NPCs, and 100 useless houses is hardly great world design.

I felt like the alchemy side of things was FAR too simple. I miss TW2 actually wanting to get resources and plants. In this game, you only need them for a one time production of an item and that kind of sucked. I didn't particularly like the upgrade system of the bombs either or the level capping of gear. I found an awesome sword early game and never got to use it. It made getting loot very underwhelming and discouraged me from exploring.

The side quests are where this game really shines. Its awesome. Sound design and voice acting 10/10. Main plot and story 9/10. I felt like it missed a few opportunities to truly tug at the heart strings, the Triss/Yenn romance was kind of... abandoned... at the end which was a bit strange. The endings, especially the bad one, are amazing. The Villain however was very poorly crafted.

Overall I loved this game. I hear the expansions are basically better than the original game in story telling, sacrifcing scope and breadth so I look forward to them next year.
Although I'm being very critical of it, its a 9/10 for me. I can't give it a 10. As a story telling experience, it can pass for a 10 but as a video game... no.

Ive had this game ever since it came out and still not played it. Same with BOTW. Same with RDR 2, spolit for choice.

Associate
Brought this in the sale for £13.99 with all expansion packs. Still cant get off pubg tho lol. I have just killed the griffen so about 2 hours in

Back
Top Bottom